Do you care that the Switch dosen't support Wii U games?

• Thread starter King Of 3D
  • Start date
I do care! That made me mad when I heard

Going back to cartrages is a good thing for a faster loading speed, ubut it will be so annoying to all those Wii u players out there in the world of Nintendo. I know it made me upset, so I wouldn't doubt there is others that fell the same way I do.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would like wii u games on the switch since the wii u has GREAT 1st party games like Smash4 and Spatoon (even thou switch is getting it) but the tech the switch uses can't incorporate the dual screen play wii u has.

@coolflare well it looks like nintendo is remaking those games for the switch as we already know the switch is getting a version of splatoon and mario kart 8

I think it is good that the switch doesn´t count with nintndo wii u games at all. Nintendo is doing an excellent job with marketing and the least thing it needs, is people to think that the nintendo switch is another device peripheral of the wii u. This is what actually happened some time ago when the wii u was launched, people didnt know what it really was. Was it a new console or an accessorie for my nintendo wii? So, on this respect, I think it is cool that nintendo shows no connection with previous systems, just to make it clear that the switch is a new console.

Yeah. I agree with you. It is very annoying to not be able and play the games that you want on another system. That's why the wii was so popular because you could play gamecube games on it and use the old controller as well. It makes me think that the upgrade isn't as good when it doesn't have that feature plus the battery life isn't good for the switch

I did want Wii U games, cuz playing Wii U in handheld mode would be kinda nice. Having the 3ds would be kinda difficult on a system like that.

However, games coming out for the Switch are , in a way, just more developed versions of Wii U games. So, backward compatibility doesn't make much sense there.

Anyway, Wii U game prices are the same as Switch game prices. So, a person is better off buying the new game.

Reactions: Mikaya
To be honest, it doesn't and shouldn't matter. If you have Wii U games, then there's a very good chance that you already have a Wii U. If that is so, then what's the point of having backwards compatibility on the Switch for it?

I don't mind too much about backwards compatibility in general since, like I said, you can just either buy the console for the game, or you'll probably already have the console. It's just not needed, since then it would just be pointless to buy the original console for it.

It also doesn't make sense to have backwards compatibility imo since, take Wii/Wii U for example. To play Wii games on your Wii U it was really weird since some games allowed you to have both screens (of course only utilising one) or one most it switches off your game pad and you have to use the TV + Wii remotes. In my mind, that's just pointless because then what's the point? If it just forces you to play it like the original, intended console, then why not just play it on what it's supposed to be played on?

To be honest, it doesn't and shouldn't matter. If you have Wii U games, then there's a very good chance that you already have a Wii U. If that is so, then what's the point of having backwards compatibility on the Switch for it?

I don't mind too much about backwards compatibility in general since, like I said, you can just either buy the console for the game, or you'll probably already have the console. It's just not needed, since then it would just be pointless to buy the original console for it.

It also doesn't make sense to have backwards compatibility imo since, take Wii/Wii U for example. To play Wii games on your Wii U it was really weird since some games allowed you to have both screens (of course only utilising one) or one most it switches off your game pad and you have to use the TV + Wii remotes. In my mind, that's just pointless because then what's the point? If it just forces you to play it like the original, intended console, then why not just play it on what it's supposed to be played on?

The main point of backwards compatibility is marketing towards people who had owned the prior system to trade in for a new console. That's basically currently what they're doing with the Switch sans the incentive for backwards compatibility; trade in a Wii U and you'll get a discount off your Nintendo Switch purchase (or at least, that's how it is over here.) I bet you they did the same when the Wii U was out towards Wii owners. With a new system that can not only play new games but also your entire library of older games, there's little to no reason why anyone wouldn't do that barring some special exceptions. (e.g. Collective purposes, lack of a TV utilising HDMI, not being able to play GC games in Wii mode (although technically playable through hacking the Wii mode to re-unlock it), etc.)

I really dislike the Wii U as a console but I will admit, if there's one thing they did right it was allowing Wii mode to be played through the Gamepad itself. It's basically like the Vita equivalent of Remote Play with the PS4. All you need at that point is a stand and you can pretty much play any Wii game that doesn't require extravagant movements.

You can't really expect Nintendo to implement backwards compatibility in every single one of their consoles. I'm not too bothered about not being able to play Wii U games on a Switch; I'm most likely not gonna pick up the Wii U titles I've already beaten. If you really want to play Wii U games, then keep your console if you have to (Although, I think most gamers might sell their Wii U to pay towards the Switch, in that case, I can't really argue that point). xD

Reactions: 28142 and Pandaxclone2
You can't really expect Nintendo to implement backwards compatibility in every single one of their consoles. I'm not too bothered about not being able to play Wii U games on a Switch; I'm most likely not gonna pick up the Wii U titles I've already beaten. If you really want to play Wii U games, then keep your console if you have to (Although, I think most gamers might sell their Wii U to pay towards the Switch, in that case, I can't really argue that point). xD

(Jeeze I can't help but respond even if it's probably not towards me. Apologies :p) Didn't say they should put BW compatibility in every system (the very fact that some systems lack it shows) nor did I say the Switch should be BW compatible with the Wii U (Mainly because that actually would be too much since the system is portable and cart-based, two very bad things for discs. Kind of surprised that the 3DS wasn't put in however but meh...)

Simply put, I'm just saying BW compatibility in a nutshell is far from useless and has its practical applications. If nothing else, it's a nice bonus to compliment the system.

I won't lie I wish there was some way for me to play the few exclusive Wii U games on my Switch. I'm also not exactly thrilled that I have to rebuy titles like Mario Kart 8 and eventually Smash ( most likely) . I understand why there couldn't be backwards compatibility it would hurt more in the long run vs the short positive gain. I just hope there isn't too many games I have to re buy, but so far I do have new games to buy and look forward to.

(Jeeze I can't help but respond even if it's probably not towards me. Apologies :p) Didn't say they should put BW compatibility in every system (the very fact that some systems lack it shows) nor did I say the Switch should be BW compatible with the Wii U (Mainly because that actually would be too much since the system is portable and cart-based, two very bad things for discs. Kind of surprised that the 3DS wasn't put in however but meh...)

Simply put, I'm just saying BW compatibility in a nutshell is far from useless and has its practical applications. If nothing else, it's a nice bonus to compliment the system.

It'd also be awfully expensive, and if it wasn't to be implemented to begin with it'd take much longer just to implement.
I agree mostly on the fact that BacCom would beneficial in most cases. Just not here. With the upcoming ports to the console from Wii U onto the Switch, most won't need to buy the original Wii U games to play them there. Inversely, users who already own a Wii U won't feel too strong a need to buy the ports, and there's still internet activity on those games for a while yet.

The only thing I think needs answered is cross-platform play. So that these new Swich scrubs can play their games with their older, slightly more intelligent predecessors, the Wii U owners. (I can forsee updates to the Wii U games that won't take too much. As the Switch ports are the same games with new things, cross-play isn't so far away a concept now. It will though, like anything worth doing, need a lot of work put into it.)

Reactions: Pandaxclone2
I kinda wish it did though it would would be hard to implement wii u backwards compatibility ion a handheld console hybrid that takes cartridges instead of disks.

Kind of. I think they should just port games over: Super mario 3d world especially, Hyrule warriors, Mario maker,
We already know that smash is getting a port.

If I had a Wii U I might care about this. I can see why people would be upset. People love playing their old games on newer consoles. Same thing goes with PS2 games on the PS4 and for the Xbox 1 and everything else.

As many people have said in the thread so far, I don't really care. All I play on my Wii U is Splatoon, Smash and Mario Kart. One of which has already been ported, another has a sequel coming up pretty soon and the last is an inevitable release for pretty much all Nintendo consoles. Besides, I'm completely sure I will retire my Wii U from the living room to my bedroom once I get a Switch, which will sit confortable next to my Game Cube :cat: (not putting away the Wii U because I can do... certain things with it)

Since I already own a WiiU, I don't feel much of a need for the Switch to be backwards compatible. Additionally, many of the WiiU's best games are being ported to and improved on the Switch. I would like to see Wind Waker HD or Smash 4 be ported to the Switch, as I think that they would be a good fit for the console.

Back