• Thread starter CrazyElf
  • Start date

Do you play by Smogon?

• Total voters
CrazyElf

CrazyElf

Apart of Santa's Workshop
Towns Folk
If you don't know about Smogon, it is basically is a competitive Pokemon site that offers tips and guides into competitive battling. But anyways, back to the topic. Do you play by Smogon? I don't because I really don't like how they created tiers for Pokemon, and they start banning things, such as Pokemon, moves, items. I admit, the competitive site is pretty good. The site keeps things in balance with the bans and stuff, for the people who follow them. I also admit that the best competitive battlers may have came from Smogon. It offers great tips and guides, but I don't play by rules that aren't official. I do sound like a kid, but i really don't care. I just play for fun. I play competitively too, but not by Smogon. Anyways, back to the question. Do you play by Smogon?

Reactions: Knight Rain
I do a little bit. Basically because all the good Pokemon I like are in OU and I don't like using Legendaries. Banning things seems a little rude though but I could see how OP Pokemon could lead to a lack of creative team building. The problem is that most people might not play by those rules in-game so why ban things if they aren't in online matches in-game?

Reactions: CrazyElf
Not really. I HATE Smogon's rules. They annoy me, and pretty much ban all the fun Pokémon. They put everything that people like to use in-game (legendaries, awesome stuff) inter Ubers.

I like it, though some rules might be annoying sometimes, but at least with Smogon Rules, the battle is more balanced, since most of the Legendaries are banned (Yes, they removed any interest I had for online battling in Pokémon X/Y).

But the problem is also the fact that people don't actually understand the rules, and hate on Smogon for no reason, because you see, it breaks their "OMFG I kant Be b3aten" team (the bad grammar was made to target these kind of guys), or simply because it bans some Pokémons/Strategies.

So, I don't always play with it, but it makes the game more enjoyable, and more balanced.

If you don't know about Smogon, it is basically is a competitive Pokemon site that offers tips and guides into competitive battling. But anyways, back to the topic. Do you play by Smogon? I don't because I really don't like how they created tiers for Pokemon, and they start banning things, such as Pokemon, moves, items. I admit, the competitive site is pretty good. The site keeps things in balance with the bans and stuff, for the people who follow them. I also admit that the best competitive battlers may have came from Smogon. It offers great tips and guides, but I don't play by rules that aren't official. I do sound like a kid, but i really don't care. I just play for fun. I play competitively too, but not by Smogon. Anyways, back to the question. Do you play by Smogon?
I will if a friend asks to but honestly I don't like the singles formate overall. I feel that VCG rules are fair and it takes a little more thought proses. If u really wanna latter up on things like showdown you basically have to whore out to the meta. Most of the tires use the same couple of pokemon. Basically theirs no individuality unless u wanna be gimmicky. But I prefer VCG especially the 2014 rules set and the new gen stuff like weather nurf Because you can get away with out having the same few pokemon. Like I'm rocking a mr. Mime on my team. And it dose very well.

Most of the time, yes. Of course, I always ask the person if we're using one of Smogon's tier rules before the battle begins. I sometimes make modifications to the rules (as well as my battler) when playing with friends too such as Kalos born 'mons only. I'm also thinking about getting into VCG too, :writing:

Depends lol I play Smogon if someone wants a "balanced" game since Smogon made the game "balanced" in terms of battles. With 2000+ moves, and 718(and counting) pokemons, Smogon actually gave each pokemon a tier depending on their usefulness in a battle. Regularly, I play with VGC rules but I'm also able to adapt in Smogon rules too. So I'm kinda flexible in a way lol

I started playing competitive pokemon around when Smogon first started and had their net battle server. I like their analysis and move sets..but hate some of there banned pokemon. I don't really think they try to take over the competitive scene or so some people think.

I think they just have their own fair ways of ranking things, and how a player should battle pending on fairness..All in all..I never really battle online using anyone rules.,..I use strong Pokemon/Weak pokemon all on my mood, and I've had a lot fun

Yeah I play by Smogon just I don't get why people hate it so much. I usually only play OU and UU.

Yeah I play by Smogon just I don't get why people hate it so much. I usually only play OU and UU.
1) most people hate it because of Verlisfy 2) I don't hate it persay I just think theirs to much reption in all of the tiers.

I play by Smogon because almost everyone knows about it and most people play by it and they ban some very annoying things like swagger evasiness moves and overpowered pokemon even tho I doubt some of their decision on the pokemon's tier

I don't normally play by Smogon, I actually don't like Smogon at all. But sometimes, I do only when the opponent insists on it. I'd rather play for fun.

I don't play by smogon and it's not fun playing by it

I play by smogon. HOWEVER smogon isn't official rules. Everyone thinks smogon is official. It makes me sad. *puts sad face on* :( . Smogon does allow order for battling though,I like that part.:3

Edit:this is my 100th slime covered message. W00T

I like to look at things on Smogon for knowing more knowledge about my team & synergy, etc.
But I tend to make my own movesets and stuff, it gets way too predictable and boring to always follow their movesets. Mixing up tiers is fun too, a lot of Pokemon are capable of doing well in the OU tier.

I really don't care. I like how it bans most of the legendaries, but that's about it. I look at movesets to help raise my pokemon, but I consider smogon to be more of a starting point, rather than the be-all-end-all to competitive battling. :)

I'm not really a fan of Smogon, but I will admit that it brings some balance into online battling. It makes a lot of sense to not allow legendaries, but when else would anyone use them? They just sit in everyone's boxes as a trophy in the end. Besides, legendaries aren't allowed in official stuff half of the time anyway. There's a reason it's a free battle.

Smogon rules just ends up with everyone using the same pokemon though. It gets sorta boring after a while. Not to mention all of the arguments between people who believe Smogon is the word of God and people who downright hate it.

Long story short, I don't care about what Smogon says at all. I look on the site for a bit of help with a strategy every now and then, but I mostly use the pokemon that I like and fit into my strategy, all tiers included.

I think Smogon rules help prevent arguments over "overpowered" Pokemon, moves, or abilities. That being said, I don't play by the Smogon rules because I really don't see the need for me to restrict myself from playing a game whatever way I want. I think their rules are a positive thing for the community as a whole though and keep competitive play fair for all players involved.

I both love and hate Smogon because the bannin and loving it for the gudielines for comp play :)

I play by Smogon rules, Smogon in my opinion, does a great job at developing a balanced singles metagame and despite what some people on the internet may tell you, is not a dictatorship. Smogon is a community and when a Pokemon is suspect for being banned, you can actually share your thoughts on whether it should/shouldn't be banned and can vote via laddering on the Pokemon Showdown ladder. Playing by Smogon rules like VGC is just one of multiple ways you can play Pokemon, Smogon are not elitists and don't force their rules on those who don't want to use them, but even if you don't use Smogon rules, I hope you can come to an understanding on why some people do.

Back