Do you play Demos?

• Thread starter Kaynil
  • Start date
Kaynil

Kaynil

Nintendo 3DS Legend
Towns Folk
well, considering when I first got my 3DS I ate a lot of memory just by downloading every single demo I found I guess you can imagine my stance with it.

I find it a pretty good way to get some impressions on a game. I really think it is a great tool and a way to have fresh content and a bit more variety to pass the time while you buy your next big game.

I have changed my mind about a few of them and I had fun playing most of them. I have yet to finish any demo, I usually end up uninstalling them after a while. I have never tried installing again a demo so I am not sure how would that go: maybe it will retake from the tries I had left or simply it won't let me download or open. No clue. Most Demos have between 7 and 30 tries. Etrian Odyssey IV is the shortests I've downloaded with only 3.

So how about you, do you download and use demos often?

Reactions: Brad and 3dsatackman
I used to have a lot of demos in my 3DS, but I deleted them all. They take too much time and SD card memory and I don't think they're much more useful than gameplay videos and reviews.
I don't download any demos now. The one I most like was the Lego Batman 2 one.

I don't like keeping demos on my 3DS, but I played a lot ones.

Well, all of the time. I have like 8 demos right now on 3DS. I will delete these demos once I get the actual game for each one until then I'm keeping these because sometimes I like playing something other than just Street Fighter 3D xD

My "try count" has never hit zero. I always uninstalled the demo before it, ;)

I finished both of Project X Zone's demos.
I got bored with the Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Gates to Infinity demo, so I just stopped, :whistle:
I completed Fire Emblem Awakening's demo and I purchased the game.
I don't think I ever completed Castlevania - Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate's demo.
The bear from Etrian Odyssey IV killed me soooo many times, I just uninstalled it and gave up :oops:
I never really liked the Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate demo. I heard the full game is a lot better.

Reactions: Kaynil
The try count on demos is just silly and pointless. I only get a demo if I really want to play the game or give it a test run to see if the game is worth my money.

I finished both of Project X Zone's demos.
I got bored with the Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Gates to Infinity demo, so I just stopped, :whistle:
I completed Fire Emblem Awakening's demo and I purchased the game.
I don't think I ever completed Castlevania - Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate's demo.
The bear from Etrian Odyssey IV killed me soooo many times, I just uninstalled it and gave up :oops:
I never really liked the Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate demo. I heard the full game is a lot better.

Proyect X Zone is also a lot better than the demos, also Etrian Odyssey IV (like SMTIV) are ultra-hardcores games.

I always like to try out demos. Once I play the ones I really didn't care for I delete them. I keep the demos I like for Example, Mario and Luigi Dream Team.

Reactions: Kaynil
Most of us, if not all, usually deleted the demos before the "play count" hits zero. I think the "play count" feature is completely unnecessary. I don't know anyone who merely relies on a demo to get the closest they can get to a full experience. Sure, we might do the demo a couple of times. After that, we're all done and the game is removed from our memory. If we enjoyed the demo, we purchase the game. If the game wasn't so enjoyable, we move on. If we're going to have a "play count" at all, at least make the count standard. I think most 3DS gamers could agree with me when I say, the play counts on demos are ridiculous.

Reactions: 18
The 'Play Count' thing is definitely unnecessary.

I find myself playing demos of games on occasion, I don't like cramming my system with a bunch of random demos though, so once I play it and get a good feel of the game, I just delete it.

However, I'll admit that I nearly used all of my play counts when I played the demo of Kingdom Hearts 3D. lol
I had some major hype for that game and I played it over and over until the game was released.

I guess the counter is what differentiates it from a free game. Some of them you may like them enough to keep the demo but not enough to decide to spend your money on it. By placing the counter they know at some point you will have to decide if you will spend solely because you miss what the demo had or if you will just move on. If just a few decide to get the game again just for that then I think the trick is well justified.

30 plays is quite generous while seven is probably for me the best measure. If your battery dies or you have to exit the demo, you won't have to stress about it. With the Ethrian one I wasted one and having just 2 tries left when you still haven't got a clue about what the game is about sounds too radical and may defeat the purpose of being able to try the game.

I like trying even the ones demos I have no initial interest on. It doesn't mean I keep them all. 2GB memory got full and even if with the 16GB is no longer a pressing concern I want to have demos I might come back to later either because I couldn't finish them (need moar skillz) or because I do enjoy them. harmony knight is a weird combination of both. I can't pass the Bee level (that is very likely the end of the demo and while fun I don't feel attracted to buy the game so I am just clinging to it until I squeeze all the tries one monthly play or so at the time). There are others that even if I enjoyed them, I know I won't try again once I finished them like Batman Lego so I delete them. So I guess it really depends on what is the game about and if I can use it for a quick entertaining medium.

Whoa, that is very similar to mine. I still finished the Mystery Dungeon. And you are not supposed to attack the hostile beast. You simply walk a few blocks behind it and hope to squeeze away before it turns back. I had to be given the clue by the game (maybe because I tried it on easy).

I pretty much tend to uninstall them too before they get to zero. Which is why I don't know what happens exactly (beside the logical conclusion that I can't play that demo anymore).

I also been thinking and downloading again certain demo I uninstalled (guilty pleasure) but I have no clue if the eshop will allow that and if allowed how will the counter react (my guess is that either the counter remains true - if I had only 2 left, that is all it will give me so I can't cheat it to get more - or simply won't let me download it at all. Well, i guess we'll see...

I tried the Mario and Luigi Dream Team demo recently, and kind of made want to purchase the game, because before I was iffy on whether to buy it or not. Of course I definitely delete demos after I'm done. Strangely I have never hit the play limit, I wonder what happens after though?

I don't like Demos, I think its to space consuming, but its also really important when it comes to testing the game you are thinking to download. The awesome thing about it is that its free and you can delete it also.

Reactions: 18
I download all the demos. I just download all the free stuff.

Reactions: kai951321 and Kaynil
I download all the demos. I just download all the free stuff.
Why do you download it, because it's free ?
I only download it to test the game out, to see if I like it :)

I don't download them because I spent a lot of time downloading them :D

I don't download them because I spent a lot of time downloading them :D
Slow internet connection ? Or do you mean you spend a lot of time downloading the full version of the game?

Slow internet connection ? Or do you mean you spend a lot of time downloading the full version of the game?

The first option.

Yeah, but sometimes, I don't know the game but then I like the game ( virtues's last reward)

Reactions: Kaynil and Marc
I used to play them , but now they're just memory wasters :3

Back