Do you think the NX have a Blu-Ray Player?

• Thread starter amirally27
  • Start date

Do you think the NX will have a Blu-Ray Player?

• Yes

Votes: 4 25.0%
  • No

Votes: 12 75.0%

• Total voters
amirally27

amirally27

The Hero in Green
Towns Folk
Nintendo is not really known to install Blu-Ray players in their consoles, but will the NX?

Well, the Wii U technically runs Blu-Ray disks, iirc. It's just their own version of it, which is why regular Blu-Rays won't read.
But, they should put a Blu-Ray player in, I'm 50-50 on whether they actually will, though.

Reactions: amirally27
Well, the Wii U technically runs Blu-Ray disks, iirc. It's just their own version of it, which is why regular Blu-Rays won't read.
But, they should put a Blu-Ray player in, I'm 50-50 on whether they actually will, though.
I dont think that the Wii U plays Blu-Rays, but I hope the NX does!

Though I kinda doubt that it will happen, I can't deny the possibility :D
Nintendo NX does kinda sound like something that would be capable of such things :coffee:

No. Nintendo makes gaming machines, not multimedia devices.

I dont think that the Wii U plays Blu-Rays, but I hope the NX does!
I'm saying that Nintendo made their own version which is has the same advantages, but it's not the same, so it doesn't read like regular Blu-Rays.

The only advantage I'd see in this is for it to sell to the general public in case they want a Blu-Ray player but don't currently have them as well as to play games and try it out for experience. That being said imo I don't think Nintendo is aiming to sell it to include a Blu-ray player because it may be too expensive of a project to reprogram an NX much less a Wii U and that would boost the price consumers would have to pay so yeah, I don't think it's ideal but I do think it's a risk so they may have that for a different or later version of the console (the NX) knowing Nintendo.

Em...Who uses Blu-Ray these days? It would just increase the cost of the NX...:greedy:
I really don't think Nintendo will be bothered. :p

Just to explain some things to you people, if Nintendo does implement a Blu-Ray player in the NX, it won't be for the media, but for the games. There are certain limitations the regular DVDs have and the Blu-Rays don't! First of all, a DVD almost never exceeds 12 GB, while a Blu-Ray can go up to 2 TB and also be up to 15 times faster in read speed! That will allow for better games, more demanding games, with MUCH less stress on the hardware itself and also will prevent any lags caused from slow disk reading or scratched disks, as Blu-Rays can still play even when the surface is almost completely destroyed! If the NX is really what is going to save Nintendo, the not implementing this would be a huge mistake!

If Nintendo added the Blu-Ray feature, people would only buy it for the Blu-Rays.

It is unlikely that the NX will support Blu-ray or discs since the patent leak that suggest that it may either be an all-digital or SDcard-based console

It is unlikely that the NX will support Blu-ray or discs since the patent leak that suggest that it may either be an all-digital or SDcard-based console
If it's either of those, then it'll be a HUGE failure! If it's SD card-based, then either the loading times will be incredibly long or the retail price of the games will be far more than that of a game for another console! No matter how you go about it, you can't stuff 20-50 GBs of game files onto a SD card and sell it for a low price! As for all-digital, I doubt it, as it will impose a really tight limit to the amount of games you can have on your console and would require tons of hard drive memory, meaning it will result in severely limiting the game sales! Blu-Rays on the other hand, offer great speed and large storage, allowing for both good and large games and medium/low pricing!

So here's my opinion. It may, BUT!!!, you will not be able to watch movies on it. Not without hacking.... History proves this with the OG Wii.... Download only is a possibility as well but man will GameStop be hurting if that was the case....

If it's either of those, then it'll be a HUGE failure! If it's SD card-based, then either the loading times will be incredibly long or the retail price of the games will be far more than that of a game for another console! No matter how you go about it, you can't stuff 20-50 GBs of game files onto a SD card and sell it for a low price! As for all-digital, I doubt it, as it will impose a really tight limit to the amount of games you can have on your console and would require tons of hard drive memory, meaning it will result in severely limiting the game sales! Blu-Rays on the other hand, offer great speed and large storage, allowing for both good and large games and medium/low pricing!
What the hell do you think this is, 1995, where cartridges were inferior to CDs? You have no idea how much of a big difference between a cartridge today and a Blu-ray disc today. You think cartridges are inferior to discs but actually you have it inverted. SD Cartridges can hold 1TB worth of memory. You ever bought a memory extension for the PS4 or XB1 to store all your games? Guess what bud, that's a cartridge, all USB storage devices are cartridges. Cartridges are superior to CDs in every way nowadays. Cartridge have the ability to read and write data whereas a CD can only read and require internal memory to store game saves. If discs are so superior to cartridges then go ahead and take a look at the PSP, shouldn't it be better than the DS? Graphically yes but, since it used discs over cartridges and there were some other major flaws with that, like the long load times that were painful to endure because it used a disc and it was easier for it to get scratches and prone to break more easily than a cartridge, thus is the reason for keeping the game disc in a special plastic container.

So before you say that CDs are better than cartridges I suggest you look up your information

Nope, the nx will not have a blue ray player, I question if the nx will even have 3rd party support, because it will not, lol. I think nintendo needs to take their time developing the nx, I mean 2018. Then nintendo can put whatever tech in it. 2016 or 2017 seem way too early. If nintendo starts fresh in a new generation, it may have a blue ray player, if not, I bet the nx will be terrible.

Nope, the nx will not have a blue ray player, I question if the nx will even have 3rd party support, because it will not, lol. I think nintendo needs to take their time developing the nx, I mean 2018. Then nintendo can put whatever tech in it. 2016 or 2017 seem way too early. If nintendo starts fresh in a new generation, it may have a blue ray player, if not, I bet the nx will be terrible.
You do realize that the previous generation of hardware shouldn't have lasted 6-8 years in the market like that? So Nintendo going from Wii U to NX in 2016 isn't outrageous. The release difference between XBOX and XBOX 360 is 4 years. Also cartridges are better on load times and store more memory than discs.

What the hell do you think this is, 1995, where cartridges were inferior to CDs? You have no idea how much of a big difference between a cartridge today and a Blu-ray disc today. You think cartridges are inferior to discs but actually you have it inverted. SD Cartridges can hold 1TB worth of memory. You ever bought a memory extension for the PS4 or XB1 to store all your games? Guess what bud, that's a cartridge, all USB storage devices are cartridges. Cartridges are superior to CDs in every way nowadays. Cartridge have the ability to read and write data whereas a CD can only read and require internal memory to store game saves. If discs are so superior to cartridges then go ahead and take a look at the PSP, shouldn't it be better than the DS? Graphically yes but, since it used discs over cartridges and there were some other major flaws with that, like the long load times that were painful to endure because it used a disc and it was easier for it to get scratches and prone to break more easily than a cartridge, thus is the reason for keeping the game disc in a special plastic container.

So before you say that CDs are better than cartridges I suggest you look up your information
You are comparing REGULAR DVDs with cartridges, NOT Blu-Rays! The two are NOTHING alike! Memory cards/cartridges CAN go up to 2TBs, but then they cost around 600+$! On the other hand, Blu-Rays can go up to 4TBs and still cost around 300$ for TWICE the size and MUCH faster loading times! Also, one of the reasons Blu-Rays are famous is that even scratched, the will still play JUST AS GOOD! Have you forgotten how the PS2 Blu-Ray games were? I had a flight simulation one and the disc broke in half, I glues it together and it still played with only some minor lag! I think you are the one that should check the facts! And just one small note, a 128GB Blu-Ray (which easily fits a really large game!) costs just 29$ at most to produce, whereas a 128GB Cartridge cost around 200$ just to make one!

You are comparing REGULAR DVDs with cartridges, NOT Blu-Rays! The two are NOTHING alike! Memory cards/cartridges CAN go up to 2TBs, but then they cost around 600+$! On the other hand, Blu-Rays can go up to 4TBs and still cost around 300$ for TWICE the size and MUCH faster loading times! Also, one of the reasons Blu-Rays are famous is that even scratched, the will still play JUST AS GOOD! Have you forgotten how the PS2 Blu-Ray games were? I had a flight simulation one and the disc broke in half, I glues it together and it still played with only some minor lag! I think you are the one that should check the facts! And just one small note, a 128GB Blu-Ray (which easily fits a really large game!) costs just 29$ at most to produce, whereas a 128GB Cartridge cost around 200$ just to make one!
As Sony revolutionize the DVD-CD format by creating the Blu-ray disc you don't think Nintendo can revamp the cartridge? We continue to evolve and evolve and companies will do something to make things more affordable. Add the fact that rumors around Codename NX that it is a hybrid and it would make sense if they added cartridges back to the home console side of things.

As Sony revolutionize the DVD-CD format by creating the Blu-ray disc you don't think Nintendo can revamp the cartridge? We continue to evolve and evolve and companies will do something to make things more affordable. Add the fact that rumors around Codename NX that it is a hybrid and it would make sense if they added cartridges back to the home console side of things.
It would make MUCH more sense to have UMD-like Blu-Ray disks then! Also, you seem to think that all the PlayStation 2/3/4 games are on Blu-Ray disks, while, in fact, ONLY a select few are! You can easily tell which ones are Blu-Rays and which aren't by whether the underside is silver or blue/light blue! Blu-Rays use the DNA computing technology, which results in the blue color of the underside, compared to the regular method of laser print, meaning they are literally restriction-free!

It would make MUCH more sense to have UMD-like Blu-Ray disks then! Also, you seem to think that all the PlayStation 2/3/4 games are on Blu-Ray disks, while, in fact, ONLY a select few are! You can easily tell which ones are Blu-Rays and which aren't by whether the underside is silver or blue/light blue! Blu-Rays use the DNA computing technology, which results in the blue color of the underside, compared to the regular method of laser print, meaning they are literally restriction-free!
I said what if they REVOLUTIONIZE the cartridge, bringing about a new format that is superior to the SD Card format today

Back