Do you trust Windows 10?

• Thread starter Leviathinian
  • Start date
L

Leviathinian

It looks like Windows 10 has been out for a while, but the things I've heard make me kind of suspicious...
I've been told that Windows 10 takes personal info and sends it to Microsoft, and other similar things.
It also seems like they really wan't people to get a free upgrade. A free upgrade? These days, free is also suspicious...
I have a Windows 8 Laptop, and I get popups nearly every day saying something good about Windows 10, and then click here to upgrade! I've also gotten larger popups telling me to upgrade, and It has two buttons on it: Upgrade Now and Upgrade Tonight. You have to press the X in the top right corner to get rid of it.
These all make me very suspicious, and I don't think I will be upgrading anytime soon.
What do you think about it?

Windows 10 is safer if you buy your laptop/computer with it. My laptop came with Windows 10 and it's works pretty fine with no errors and stuff.

However my brother had Windows 8 originally on his laptop, and when he upgraded it became super buggy and stopped working properly. Some things that happened included random freezes, trackpad becoming unresponsive, not connecting to WiFi, and loading errors. We went it, backed up the important files, and basically wiped a lot of files from the hard drive, downgraded the laptop back to Windows 8, and it began to work normally again.

With that experience, I think it's safe for me to say that upgrading to new Windows is not something you want to do immediately, or maybe at all in some cases. After all I'm still a fan of Windows 7 more than anything anyways..

Reactions: Mikaya
I've had Windows 10 since launch and well, it's been great so far. I've had little to no problems with it, and it's a LOT better than the 'I'm trying hard to be a tablet/phone OS stuck on a Windows PC' Windows 8 operating system.

Indeed, you should probably want to get Windows 10 by getting a new device with it already pre-installed as it will be perfectly optimised, but then again, it's worth trying to upgrade - chances are, your system will run just fine with no bugs.

If anything does go wrong, you should have a backup ready and just easily downgrade again (and I think it will retain the files anyways), so there isn't really much of a downside to upgrading if you already have Windows 8, aside from time.

I used to trust Windows 10 completely when I decided to upgrade my laptop back in the day when it was launched. Windows 10 in my laptop that time was pretty good with the nice Start menu, and everything was enjoyable until the moment when I started to have issues with laptop's battery life, high CPU usage and the moment when it's starting to boot on its own at midnight, that I decided to return to Windows 8.1 all over again even though at cost of starting fresh on my laptop. This makes me quite wary about Windows 10 ever since, even though I managed to dual boot 8.1 and 10 nowadays to compromise.

Given my experience, I would suggest to put the upgrade on hold, unless you have laptop with Windows 10 embedded in it, and if you still want to upgrade, you gotta have the backup data just in case when the upgrade goes wrong. It's all up to you.

Windows 10 is fine... as long as your computer can handle it. It's free on my Windows 7 laptop (obviously), but when I downloaded it, my laptop crashed quite often. I really think it's because of it being under-powered, or it's too old to handle it anyway. It's over 4 years old at this point. Because of the crashes, I had to change it back to 7. I highly doubt formatting it would even raise the power and prevent the crashes; not that I planned on doing that.

I also have a Windows Vista desktop that has much more power so I think it can handle 10 just fine, but because it's Vista it's not free so I couldn't check to see. :cry: Bummer right? The computer I can get Windows 10 on for free can't handle it and the one that can possibly handle it I have to pay for. :cry:

Once I save up for a new desktop, I'm going to use Windows 10 regardless. I shouldn't have to worry about any problems at all when I get it.

I don't have much problems with it, and I trust it, I don't think Windows Assassins are gonna try to assanate me or anything! Hahahah.... right?

It's a little slower then Windows ten, but this computer isn't the strongest ever, and has allot on it, but it works very well, at least for me!

I think it's definitely worth upgrading to Windows 10, especially if you're on Windows 8, and not 8.1. If you are with 7 and you like it, stick with it, if you can. Beware of Microsoft shoving updates down your throat, though.

I think that for gaming purposes, Windows 10 is currently king, until Linux gets its drivers and issues fixed. Win10 supports DX12, which allows for more efficient communication with the GPU. It can give a pretty big FPS boost, I got a 20FPS boost in DX12-supported games, compared to DX11, especially with an AMD card. (R9 380) (Eg: BF4)

Even for general usage, Windows 10 is very efficient. I personally love everything about it. The UI, new features, and especially the snappiness. There was a pretty big improvement in efficiency, as I got my render times in After Effects slashed by about 20%.

I've played with Windows 10 in the past, and I just have to say that it's not my style; same goes for windows 8. Windows 7 is much simpler and the extra sleek-looking start interface that windows 10 brings to the table isn't needed imo.

When I still used my really slow Windows 7 computer, Windows 10 actually made the performance significantly better and I really liked it. But when I now have a really fast Windows 8 computer, then upgrading to Windows 10 made it kinda slower and not only that, but some error kept popping up every time I power it. So it's practically mixed feelings xP

They can take all my personal info and do whatever they please with it because I really don't care.

My trust issues with with Windows are slowly healing because I got a notification to upgrade this week, and it looked like it was a forced update..but it wasn't. So I cancelled my installation. Windows is not forcing people to install updates, which is a big step up from the past. :3 Forced me to upgrade to 8.1 before ;-;

What I've read is kinda concerning, but I haven't had any trouble with it yet, so I guess it's fine >.<

If you're unsure don't upgrade tho, better safe then sorry.

Reactions: Leviathinian
Reading all these comments is making me jealous (not really :p) but my experience with Windows 10 has been negative.

My family owns a Windows 8 All in One Gateway computer and installing it (because my computer kept hampering us to install 10) caused it to go Nutburgers. It crashed and went into a WatchDog mode because our driver couldn't handle the update and lost a good chunk of BIOS.

In short Gateway sucks. My sister has Windows 10 on her laptop though and she says it is nice.

I do not trust Windows 10. I recently upgraded my work computer to his trash operating system. I would much rather be using windows 8 or 7. The reason I do not trust Widows 10 is because it comes with many unnecessary widgets that I believe are just there to annoy you. Cortana for example, she runs in my background and makes all of the stuff I do very laggy. Right now cortana is running in the background and all that I am typing right now is really delayed.
I personally hate and do not trust Windows 10.

I love the interface and feel of Windows 10 don't get me wrong, but do I trust it, no, I don't have any trust for it at all. I was doing some research and found out about alot of the stuff that it does with your info. First of all, cortana. She was a good idea and seemed ok, but after you look at her terms and services, averything that you say to her is recorded and saved for "product improvement". This is the same thing about the Windows support system does when you call for help. Next up is this thing that I hate alot, I have forgotten the name but what it does is it automatically activates itself, in the instal it doesn't even show up to disable or enable it, and it takes updates that have been installed in your pc and uses your internet to send these updates to other computers. So instead of Microsoft using there own servers, they use our computers to hand out updates. This just uses system resources and internet bandwith that could be saved. So again do I trust windows 10? No, and not until they fix these things. If you want to learn even more, just look up on YouTube, how to stop windows 10 from tracking you.

Upgraded it and it works great. Don't really have problems or anything. I think that it's pretty safe, and if you have a camera on your laptop and don't trust Windows 10 put something over it so it can't secretly record, which a lot of people believe the old windows sistems did as well. But I think I can trust it, since it is just a great upgrade and is less buggy than Windows 8, since it was one of the buggiest ever. But Windows 10 is now a lot smoother than Windows 10 and I fell I can trust it.

You can turn off the tracking stuff

Honestly In My Opinion Windows 10 Runs Great On My Computer! There Are Little To No Errors For Me And I Especially Enjoy The Personality Adjustments You Can Make to It. It Runs Games Pretty Well Too.. I Can Run SSF2 Without Lag And Some Other PC Games... And Of Course Run Some Good Editing Software... Photoshop...MMD Source Film Maker Camtasia... In Summation Windows 10 Is Really Worth The Wait And Money Even Though I Got My Update Free..

Honestly In My Opinion Windows 10 Runs Great On My Computer! There Are Little To No Errors For Me And I Especially Enjoy The Personality Adjustments You Can Make to It. It Runs Games Pretty Well Too.. I Can Run SSF2 Without Lag And Some Other PC Games... And Of Course Run Some Good Editing Software... Photoshop...MMD Source Film Maker Camtasia... In Summation Windows 10 Is Really Worth The Wait And Money Even Though I Got My Update Free..
Why Do You Type Like This? :p

Why Do You Type Like This? :p
I Feel Comfortable Typing Like This... Mostly Every Forum Asks Me This Or Bothers Me About It.

Back