Do you trust Windows 10?

• Thread starter Leviathinian
  • Start date
I Feel Comfortable Typing Like This... Mostly Every Forum Asks Me This Or Bothers Me About It.
Okay

You can turn off the tracking stuff
Some of it you can't even turn off in the windows install, and even if you do that, not all of it can be turned off in control pannel/settings. You need a type of program to do it for you and block it.

I have not upgraded and I probably never will get it unless I can't change the OS on the computer I'm looking on getting in the future.

The unnessisary spam that it causes though and the lag from the program trying to put up the pop-ups to upgrade is just getting highly annoying now. One of the windows files got messed up and all I could find online about it was it'll get fixed if you update to 10, I'll much rather suffer and try and not let my computer go idle.

My main reason for not upgrading is Cortana, the tracking and all the unnessicary stuff it comes with. Just too much hassle and I don't have enough time to switch all the stuff I can off and change a lot of stuff. I'm just happy sticking with my 8.1/Ubuntu (duel-boot) for now.

Reactions: Marc
Some weeks ago, our desktop was accidentally upgraded to Windows 10. My mom said that she didnt know that the pop-up was for an upgrade. She also said that she was annoyed with the notification so she clicked without thinking of the consequenses. First, I thought that Windows 10 was bad news. Not really. I guess everything sped up a little. The interface also was great IMO.

OK, first things first.

Windows 10 is pretty much an OS mixed with an abundance of adware and bloatware. There is no way around it, it has been proven ages ago. This however doesn't fully explain all the issues people seem to have when upgrading from Windows 8 to 10. I would guess it boils down to incompatibility in certain files going from W8 to 10.

Coming back to the adware, it seems Microsoft uses the ad revenue to cover costs of developing the OS. Its a really <censored> way of getting money off of us, but I can forgive them for it. I however CANNOT forgive them for ALL the "spyware" they have built into the OS, and of course a couple of other things. Listing them below :

• An excerpt from the Terms of Use :
    "We will access, disclose and preserve personal data, including your content (such as the content of your emails, other private communications or files in private folders), when we have a good faith belief that doing so is necessary to."

Need I say more?

• Cortana proves problematic because it has access to your camera and microphone, and more importantly, it has access to your contacts, calendar, and probably all of your documents.

• The new Edge browser has its own share of new problems. Its integrated PDF and Adobe Flash reader has raised some alarms at Trend Micro. Trend is also concerned about the support for asm.js, a JavaScript subset from Mozilla that has been attacked before. Oh and it has personalized ads.
Again, almost all of the spyware CAN be disabled, but there is NO guarantee that it will stay disabled. So basically it boils down to something simple.

If you are one of those who believe that Microsoft and the US government are out to get all your information illegally, and that its not OK, do not install it. Stick with Windows 7 if you want.

If you are one of those who already has resigned to the fact that the government already has/will have your information, then nothing should be stopping you from upgrading to Windows 10. I would however suggest weighing the risks it carries, what with the issues people face after upgrading.

Ok so I've already given my views on Windows 10 on here but a couple of days ago I upgraded just because soon it's not going to be free anymore so I thought why not? It'll hopefully fix my broken windows files and I needed to reinstall my OS anyway. So I set it to update overnight and the next morning I went through the setup. That was the worst setup I have ever done... It literally says if you want a keylogger active, the setup is much longer then it should be and it messed around with my default programs even though I said in the setup for it not to. Then we get to after the setup and I've logged into my account, I had to wait about 15mins more for some random stuff to install/update for no reason. I don't see why it would do that after I've logged into my account.

Then we get to the worst things about windows 10. It has none of the patches for the windows files meaning that the broken files are broken as none of the patches online work, the time it takes to start up now is just too long, cortana is litually the worst along with edge, it keeps changing my default programs to the new ones, it messed with my default browser and everything is just slower and cortana + the keyloggers just keep on reactivating themselves and it's so annoying to keep turning them off.

I really did not think it would be this bad and right now I'm deciding whether to get windows 7 onto it or just be done with windows entirely and just make Ubuntu my main boot.

If you're still deciding on if you should get windows 10, don't. It's a horrible OS that's basically only made for touchscreen computers/tablets/phones.

(P.S: Does anyone know how to uninstall Cortana fully? It just keeps on comming back and it's horrible..)

No I don't, too many of my Steam games run on windows 7. And I've heard stories about how certain games fail as soon as you get Windows 10. For my games, I cannot risk getting the update.

Reactions: 28142
No I don't, too many of my Steam games run on windows 7. And I've heard stories about how certain games fail as soon as you get Windows 10. For my games, I cannot risk getting the update.

I believe that was just an issue when it first came out. Most of my games run fine and the other couple I just set onto compatibility mode.

Windows 10 is fine. Though I don't necessarily trust all my info going to Microsoft so I don't use Cortana. Also cortana is practically bonze buddy mixed with apple's siri. The only thing I like about windows 10 is how the back round changes every time you start the system and how it has candy crush pre-installed (I play it when I'm bored) and that's it.
ngbbs3b77d1d9d5db2.gif

At first I was kinda nervous and didn't really think that upgrading to 10 would help, but once I finally decided to upgrade I felt a lot more safe and I started to trust it more and more and more (slowsly of course). "Ive been told that Windows 10 takes personal info and sends it to Microsoft, and other similar things." Well, that is just customer research, but you still kind of right, that is a really sneaky way of doing it because they make Windows 10 free so they can do customer research. I still think microsoft isn't bad or anything, but they can be a tad bit suspicious at times.

Reactions: Eric Cartman
Dude, Windows 10 is my freaking life. It's on my phone, my computer, not to mention every computer/device in my house (Aside from my dad's iPhone). I so far have not had any issues with the OS itself, just my PC.

Back