Emulators/roms?

• Thread starter Mikaya
  • Start date
Mikaya

Mikaya

úwù
Towns Folk
what are your thoughts on downloading free emulators and roms to play on them? Yes, it is illegal, but that doesn't stop it. xD

please, do not link to sites which provide either of these. Thanks! =3

They are great. Being able to use them to play old school games is awesome. I play all of my favorite SNES games using an emulator and roms. It's also let me go back and play older games that I missed out on, so that's a positive as well.

They are also great for playing GB and GBA games, and DS games if your computer can handle it.

Reactions: 2 people
While I do think it's wrong, it's important to realize that some of these games are games that we have been playing in our childhood and some of them can't be found anymore. These games are special to us and bring back memories.

Legally though it's wrong because we are downloading and playing a game that we did not pay for.

I have to say it i use emulator and roms and i love using them to get fun i have a ds,xbox live and wii emulator.

I personally don't even like talking about them. I mean no disrespect, but this thread has already upset me with a certain post. I think opinions on this highly sensitive (and most certainly illegal!) topic are best kept private.

im thinking of getting a 3ds emulator only to play some of my sd card games what I BOUGHT because my sd card slot is broke ;.;

im thinking of getting a 3ds emulator only to play some of my sd card games what I BOUGHT because my sd card slot is broke ;.;
I highly advise you don't do that, the 3ds hasn't been completely figured out and all 3ds emulators I'm aware of are SCAMS.

You've been warned.

As for my opinions on emus, I only use them for games I have on my homebrew wii and I almost exclusively play melee and pokemon rom hacks since they're challenging and fun >=3

I highly advise you don't do that, the 3ds hasn't been completely figured out and all 3ds emulators I'm aware of are SCAMS.

You've been warned.

As for my opinions on emus, I only use them for games I have on my homebrew wii and I almost exclusively play melee and pokemon rom hacks since they're challenging and fun >=3
yeah i changed my mind about that but i am getting a n64 emulator and the only reason why is because I AM NOT PAYING £230 JUST FOR A COPY OF CONKERS BAD FUR DAY!

Imo, emulators are just plain wrong, since you're not even paying for the console, much less the games :panda:

Unless, ofc, buying things the devs aren't getting money off anymore is fair play in my opinion, like resold and/or old and outdated stuff. Of course, a lot of old games have been released on VC, so it kinda puts it on darker grey once more.

In short, if it's available officially and the devs are making money off it, emulators are wrong, but if it's something they don't care for anymore then it's fair play :3

I like emulators! There a lot of games are not available in Europe or Usa!
For example the Policenauts!
It's very cool game and this game made by Hideo Kojima!
There are plenty emulators in my phone
- Sega Mega Drive
- Snes
- Ps1
- 3Do
- N64

And I have ps2 emulator on my computer
I can play some old ps2 games in Hd! :D
At right now I am playing Rouge Galaxy,
Kingdom Hearts 2Final Mix, Metal Gear Solid 2, 3
and Gran Turismo 4
And Some Japan only games....

The way I see it, using roms aren't hurting sales by much. We usually use roms to play older games that aren't available in stores, so any purchase of this game wouldn't directly help the company who made it. I've asked myself this- what about virtual console? The way I see it, Nintendo gets it's revenue from eShop cards, not purchase of games itself. So, any purchase of a card would benefit, let's say Nintendo, and buying Metroid wouldn't give them $5, since the purchase of the eShop card already gave them $10. Yes, roms are illegal, but we have to realize emulators are preserving the older generations of games. Plus, you can graphically enhance some games, which is sweet.

Now, my opinion on pirating newer games is different, but I guess this isn't the right thread...

Reactions: 4362, 3391, Blue Knight and 1 other person
Well i seen this disscousion around the internet should you use a emulator and i made a list of pros and cons f using an emulator

Pros: You can play almost every game in history for no money, Better graphics, Cheat codes, Mods, Made possible to use gamecube and wiimote for pc, you can almiost get the same experience has the original game for that consloes. (the list goes on)

Cons: Ilegall!!!, LAG for some emulators, weird controls (you can change in most emulators), I feel bad cause i didn't not buy the game and console (maybe just me). (list goes on)

My opinion: I think it's okay to use old emulators like DS Wii and ps2 and psp but not new emulators like ps3 or wii u. What i mean it's alright to use emulators as long has it is to gens back like wii and psp. :333333 smell ya later

Last edited by a moderator:
If I want to play games for an old console that I've had before that I don't have anymore hell yeah I'd use an emulator. It's saved me a lot of trouble and money and I don't see anything wrong with it since the companies that made the games/consoles don't even make the games anymore so there's no profit to gain

Its fine lol some people are too uptight about it

I guess torrenting new gen games is another topic altogether

it's ok to have a rom of a game you've already bought. right :3

I do use emulators to play DS games (Japanese only) and old school Nintendo and sega genesis bootlegs and classics because Nintendo is wasting their time reselling olod games when they can downloaded for free online. Besides that the other stuff I play are ripoffs, playstation rhythm games, and Tomodachi collection since I can't get my hands on them.

it's ok to have a rom of a game you've already bought. right :3
I'm emphasizing this comment up there because that's how I've felt about the issue: Having already purchased the game, the console, and a computer with which to play it on in another form, I feel there is no real offense made.

And before somebody starts that argument about ownership of the license or copyright or such intangible things us citizen-sorts don't care much about anyway, really all I'm doing is playing a game I own in another form for
  1. the physical copy I owned was either stolen or destroyed and buying it again is kinda wasteful,
  2. I intend to privately use level-editors or other tools to just mess around a little. It's not like I'm selling it to anyone, I just liked the game so much and have or want to get a small grasp of rom-editing that I want to play a little longer.
Yeah I play everywhere, I cheat a little when I'm alone, I'm not hurting anyone really, and what's a little dust off an old cartridge anyway? No stigma. It's even seen and mentioned on TV.

There's a misconception regarding that "if I own the original I can download a ROM and it's okay"

It's not legal, what IS legal is to backup YOUR OWN COPIES, not to download them off, much less upload them somewhere, like an Australian guy found the HARD way when Nintendo themselves fined him in the order of 15 million AUS IIRC. Dunno what happened to him, but regardless, it was his own fault and they had their full right to exercise it.

There's a misconception regarding that "if I own the original I can download a ROM and it's okay"

It's not legal, what IS legal is to backup YOUR OWN COPIES, not to download them off, much less upload them somewhere, like an Australian guy found the HARD way when Nintendo themselves fined him in the order of 15 million AUS IIRC. Dunno what happened to him, but regardless, it was his own fault and they had their full right to exercise it.
Roms: they're illegal, but even "The Big Bang Theory" can depict Sheldon playing one on TV and go unpunished.

I don't know why you're so staunch-hearted about this issue. It's not exactly illegal, I still draw the line to downloading whole games I never could play to begin with or haven't owned in the first place. Even copyrights fade with time. Hell, none of this will matter in a hundred years anyway, why are you so stiff?

Roms: they're illegal, but even "The Big Bang Theory" can depict Sheldon playing one on TV and go unpunished.

I don't know why you're so staunch-hearted about this issue. It's not exactly illegal, I still draw the line to downloading whole games I never could play to begin with or haven't owned in the first place. Even copyrights fade with time. Hell, none of this will matter in a hundred years anyway, why are you so stiff?
Oh, I'm not particularly against it in any way, shape or form, hell, I do it myself.

My point is, companies might not care enough about chasing you for stealing their copyrighted content, but if they do, you really have nowhere to go, as they have full right to do it.

If someone broke into your house and stole an expensive jar, you COULD pursuit him legally for it. Whether you do it or not is up to you, but you definitely can, and he's got no justification in any way. Same case here.

Back