Favorite Pokemon Combos?

• Thread starter jamesnail12
  • Start date
jamesnail12

jamesnail12

Ultimate Yu-Gi-Oh Nerd
Towns Folk
What's your favorite Pokemon combo?
Mine is Excadrill and Tyranitar, and if you play competitively, you will know why after reading the spoiler.
Excadrill:
Excadrill @ Air Balloon
Ability: Sand Rush
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Shadow Claw
- Metal Claw
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide

Tyranitar:
Tyranitar @ Assault Vest
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Crunch
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
So, what's your favorite combo?

I don't do many combos, but I make do with whatever I got. The most common thing I use as a combo is Mat Block + Stat Boosting move. I also use Tyranitar with Sand Veil Garchomp and/or N/M-Aggron. I also do some combos like Tailwind Braviary + Arcanine or some other slow Pokemon.

PS: Your combo leaves you wide open on the first turn! Sand Rush activates the turn AFTER sandstorm starts.

One of my favorite offensive cores is Mega Lopunny + Gengar + Manaphy, each one of them pretty much dismantles a different kind of playstyle, Mega Lopunny handles offense, Gengar breaks Balance and Manaphy breaks Stall. This core appreciates Pokemon like Klefki and Landorus T who can provide answers to Latios, opposing Mega Lopunny and Talonflame.

Lopunny-Mega @ Lopunnite
Ability: Scrappy
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Power Up Punch
- High Jump Kick/ Drain Punch
- Return
- Fake Out

Gengar @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 29 HP / 0 Atk
- Focus Blast
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Bomb
- Taunt/Will-O-Wisp/Destiny Bond

Manaphy @ Leftovers
Ability: Hydration
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Scald
- Psychic
- Tail Glow
- Rain Dance

One of my favorite offensive cores is Mega Lopunny + Gengar + Manaphy, each one of them pretty much dismantles a different kind of playstyle, Mega Lopunny handles offense, Gengar breaks Balance and Manaphy breaks Stall. This core appreciates Pokemon like Klefki and Landorus T who can provide answers to Latios, opposing Mega Lopunny and Talonflame.

Lopunny-Mega @ Lopunnite
Ability: Scrappy
Jolly Nature
- Power Up Punch
- High Jump Kick/ Drain Punch
- Return
- Fake Out

Gengar @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
IVs: 29 HP / 0 Atk
- Focus Blast
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Bomb
- Taunt/Will-O-Wisp/Destiny Bond

Manaphy @ Leftovers
Ability: Hydration
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Scald
- Psychic
- Tail Glow
- Rain Dance
Agreed, but consider how playing a priority Talonflame could easily dismantle this whole set. that priority Brave Bird would destroy any hope you had of this set running, with the exception of Manaphy. Even then, that would rely off a 4x boosted Aqua Jet for a KO, and that is highly unlikely.

I don't do many combos, but I make do with whatever I got. The most common thing I use as a combo is Mat Block + Stat Boosting move. I also use Tyranitar with Sand Veil Garchomp and/or N/M-Aggron. I also do some combos like Tailwind Braviary + Arcanine or some other slow Pokemon.

PS: Your combo leaves you wide open on the first turn! Sand Rush activates the turn AFTER sandstorm starts.
That is true, which is the reason why Excadrill has just enough bulk to survive many lead offenses, and a Kyurem-B Outrage, thank god.

That is true, which is the reason why Excadrill has just enough bulk to survive many lead offenses, and a Kyurem-B Outrage, thank god.
But a Garchomp's Earthquake can beat both your Pokemon in 1 hit!

But a Garchomp's Earthquake can beat both your Pokemon in 1 hit!
I run Air Balloon on Excadrill on Showdown, works every time. Also, Tyranitar's bulk can survive Garchomp's earthquake, but only past a few boosts.

I run Air Balloon on Excadrill on Showdown, works every time. Also, Tyranitar's bulk can survive Garchomp's earthquake, but only past a few boosts.
We are talking about Doubles here, so if I just throw my weakest attack at Excadrill and then hit with an Earthquake, both your Pokemon will die. Earthquake from a Garchomp w/o an item 1-Hit K.O.s Excadrill and takes 90+% of Tyranitar's health (~115% After Life orb/~106% after Expert Belt)! They can easily be dealt with in just one turn! Also, they have terrible move coverage!

We are talking about Doubles here, so if I just throw my weakest attack at Excadrill and then hit with an Earthquake, both your Pokemon will die. Earthquake from a Garchomp w/o an item 1-Hit K.O.s Excadrill and takes 90+% of Tyranitar's health (~115% After Life orb/~106% after Expert Belt)! They can easily be dealt with in just one turn! Also, they have terrible move coverage!
That is very, very true, which is why I have considered running Protect on both. Also, the chances of someone running a Garchomp first turn in doubles is pretty low; most people save Garchomp for late-game sweeping.

That is very, very true, which is why I have considered running Protect on both. Also, the chances of someone running a Garchomp first turn in doubles is pretty low; most people save Garchomp for late-game sweeping.
You are forgetting that Garchomp is one of the best Stealth Rock users and it would be a waste to not set that up on the first turn! Around 14% (from what I remember) of Garchomp users use this. Stealth Rock, then Outrage/ Earthquake spamming until it's defeated!

You are forgetting that Garchomp is one of the best Stealth Rock users and it would be a waste to not set that up on the first turn! Around 14% (from what I remember) of Garchomp users use this. Stealth Rock, then Outrage/ Earthquake spamming until it's defeated!
True, but there are much, much more viable users of stealth rock than Garchomp. One such example is Ferrothorn.

True, but there are much, much more viable users of stealth rock than Garchomp. One such example is Ferrothorn.
One other example is Landorus (~40% of Stealth Rock teams) and it still beats both your Pokemon in 1 hit, this one even does it itemless!

Mega Sharpedo + Talonflame is awesome

Sharpedo @ Sharpedonite
Ability: Speed Boost
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Crunch
- Poison Jab
- Protect

Talonflame @ Leftovers
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Brave Bird
- Roost
- Taunt
- Will-O-Wisp

Pretty much, Talonflame destroys anything that gives Sharpedo a problem, and Sharpedo cleans after that

Ussualy having pokes like Clefable, Raikou and a Defoger/Spinner helps a LOT!!

Mega Sharpedo + Talonflame is awesome

Sharpedo @ Sharpedonite
Ability: Speed Boost
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Crunch
- Poison Jab
- Protect

Talonflame @ Leftovers
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Brave Bird
- Roost
- Taunt
- Will-O-Wisp

Pretty much, Talonflame destroys anything that gives Sharpedo a problem, and Sharpedo cleans after that

I can think of SO many things that completely ruin this strategy! Ferrothorn, Probopass, Magnezone, Regirock, all Rain Dance+Swift Swim teams, tons of Choice Scarfed Pokemon and the list just goes on and on!

I can think of SO many things that completely ruin this strategy! Ferrothorn, Probopass, Magnezone, Regirock, all Rain Dance+Swift Swim teams, tons of Choice Scarfed Pokemon and the list just goes on and on!

First, you said that Life Orb was a horrible item some time ago, and now this?

First, did you even saw the sets? The Talonflame set alone can beat 1v1 ANY Ferrothorn, Defensive Probopass, Regirock and non Specs Magnezone.

Second, there is something called "Pokémon Team", is what competitive Pokémon is about, and it has 6 Pokémon, this is just a core that deals with a lot of things, not EVERYTHING, because only 2 Pokemon to deal with everything is impossible

Raikou and Clefable helps with the Pokémon that gives this duo a Problem

- AV Raikou checks Bulky Waters, stuf like Thundurus (Wich can just spam T-Wave and T.Bolt otherwise) and Special Attacking Pokémon, while also giving momentum

- Physically Defensive Unaware Clefable can deal with stuf like set up sweepers, Serperior, Mega Sableye, and some priprity user

With this core and only two Pokémon helping, alrady I can deal with a lot of stuff

And is not even needed to be Raikou and Clef helping, Raikou can be replaced with Zapdos, Thundurus, Jolteon, and even Electivire, while Clef can be replaced with stuff like Sylveon, Quagsire and Florges... but Sharpedo + Talonflame can't be replaced, since they are the main core

First, you said that Life Orb was a horrible item some time ago, and now this?

First, did you even saw the sets? The Talonflame set alone can beat 1v1 ANY Ferrothorn, Defensive Probopass, Regirock and non Specs Magnezone.

Second, there is something called "Pokémon Team", is what competitive Pokémon is about, and it has 6 Pokémon, this is just a core that deals with a lot of things, not EVERYTHING, because only 2 Pokemon to deal with everything is impossible

Raikou and Clefable helps with the Pokémon that gives this duo a Problem

- AV Raikou checks Bulky Waters, stuf like Thundurus (Wich can just spam T-Wave and T.Bolt otherwise) and Special Attacking Pokémon, while also giving momentum

- Physically Defensive Unaware Clefable can deal with stuf like set up sweepers, Serperior, Mega Sableye, and some priprity user

With this core and only two Pokémon helping, alrady I can deal with a lot of stuff

And is not even needed to be Raikou and Clef helping, Raikou can be replaced with Zapdos, Thundurus, Jolteon, and even Electivire, while Clef can be replaced with stuff like Sylveon, Quagsire and Florges... but Sharpedo + Talonflame can't be replaced, since they are the main core
That Talonflame set can hardly beat a Sunkern alone! Do you even know how many Brave Birds you need to beat Regirock even with it having a burn? It can always 1-Hit KO you with a Rock Slide any second! You are assuming that everyone runs Smogon sets, which shows how little battling you have done! Theory is good, but in practice, this team is close to useless! Try to test it out in showdown, don't just do one battle, but ten. Then come and tell me how many times you lost. If you lost more than 3 times, then redo everything!

PS: I don't get what you meant with the Life Orb thing! I didn't even mention it in what you quoted! But yes, Life Orb sucks!

That Talonflame set can hardly beat a Sunkern alone! Do you even know how many Brave Birds you need to beat Regirock even with it having a burn? It can always 1-Hit KO you with a Rock Slide any second! You are assuming that everyone runs Smogon sets, which shows how little battling you have done! Theory is good, but in practice, this team is close to useless! Try to test it out in showdown, don't just do one battle, but ten. Then come and tell me how many times you lost. If you lost more than 3 times, then redo everything!

PS: I don't get what you meant with the Life Orb thing! I didn't even mention it in what you quoted! But yes, Life Orb sucks!

Wow, just wow

I have peaked 1700+ In the OU ladder with my team with this core, and I have won many local tournaments with it too, so, there you have it

Calcs
4 Atk burned Regirock Rock Slide vs. 248 HP / 8 Def Talonflame: 212-252 (59 - 70.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

(After roosting)
4 Atk burned Regirock Rock Slide vs. 248 HP / 8 Def Talonflame: 106-126 (29.5 - 35%) -- 100% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery

Full attack Regirock
252+ Atk burned Regirock Rock Slide vs. 248 HP / 8 Def Talonflame: 294-348 (81.8 - 96.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

(After Roost)
252+ Atk burned Regirock Rock Slide vs. 248 HP / 8 Def Talonflame: 147-174 (40.9 - 48.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

And finally:
0 Atk Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Sunkern: 294-348 (111.3 - 131.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO
:p

PS
Life Orb Rayquaza is by far the biggest wast of a pokemon there is! Life Orb should ONLY be used with Magic Guard or Sheer Force! Also, all official competitive battles are either double or triple nowadays, with just a few exceptions.

Dude, 30% more damage by losing 10% of your max HP...

ANY glass cannon and mixed sweeper would love an item like this... sure, it doesn't fit to all Pokémon, but is definetly one of the best item for Offensive Pokemon... if you don't believe me, ask any good player about it

Reactions: Mr. Kream and DJFoxx84
reshiram used fusion flare, zekrom used fusion bolt. True combo ;) (altough if you want to go competitive, OU that is, victini fusion flare kyurem-b fusion bolt is still an option if you have these guys.

Actually, TankChomp is one o f the best SR setters for offensive teams, since it can set SR and check A LOT of other common leads thanks to his move pool, bulk and ability

Wow, just wow

I have peaked 1700+ In the OU ladder with my team with this core, and I have won many local tournaments with it too, so, there you have it

Calcs
4 Atk burned Regirock Rock Slide vs. 248 HP / 8 Def Talonflame: 212-252 (59 - 70.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

(After roosting)
4 Atk burned Regirock Rock Slide vs. 248 HP / 8 Def Talonflame: 106-126 (29.5 - 35%) -- 100% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery

Full attack Regirock
252+ Atk burned Regirock Rock Slide vs. 248 HP / 8 Def Talonflame: 294-348 (81.8 - 96.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

(After Roost)
252+ Atk burned Regirock Rock Slide vs. 248 HP / 8 Def Talonflame: 147-174 (40.9 - 48.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

And finally:
0 Atk Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Sunkern: 294-348 (111.3 - 131.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO
:p

PS

Dude, 30% more damage by losing 10% of your max HP...

ANY glass cannon and mixed sweeper would love an item like this... sure, it doesn't fit to all Pokémon, but is definetly one of the best item for Offensive Pokemon... if you don't believe me, ask any good player about it

First off, check how much accuracy Will-O-Wisp has! If it misses even once, you are DEAD! You are also forgetting that Regirock can also use Zap Cannon and ruin your strategy! Also, a single Lum Berry ruins your strategy too! Now, about the Life Orb, just because you are a beginner, let me spell it out for you! Half of Rayquaza's movesets are stat dropping or recoil moves! No matter how much damage you can inflict, if the opponent survives, that 10% HP you lose each turn can lead to you getting 1-Hit KOed! Life Orb should ONLY be used with Pokemon that won't lose any HP by the secondary effect! Simple as that! Finally, when I told you to test this team, you avoided my question! I didn't ask what your rank is, I asked how many times out 10 battles did you lose!

Reactions: DJFoxx84
Back