Favorite RPGs! (Not limited to 3DS)

• Thread starter EvanXL64
  • Start date
Metal Gear Solid: Snake Eater, no contest. I like how they mixed RPGs with the Cold War and the Soviet Union vs. The United States. Its gameplay is very good too. You can collect guns, and ammo. And when you pick up a character you've killed, you get an item. I also like the interesting, unique, and REALLY creepy boss battles in the game. Like the Pain, the End, and the infamous Volgin and Ocelot. Ocelot you never get to defeat, but right before the Pain there is a gun battle between you and Ocelot, but you never actually kill him in it. Right when he's about to die, you both and GRU are all swarmed by hornets sent by the Pain and Ocelot fights off the hornets and retreats. And he cheers you on when you are fighting Volgin in the Shagohod warehouse. I can never really tell who's side he's on.

Well I enjoy any good action RPG as much as the next guy. But lately, I picked up an interesting game called... Bastion for my Laptop. (A very well put together game with a wonderful soundtrack. And a reactive Narrator.) At first I didn't know what it was. Then I saw its gameplay and decided immediately to get this game. (It was originally for Xbox live arcade so it works well with my 360 controller.)

Well I enjoy any good action RPG as much as the next guy. But lately, I picked up an interesting game called... Bastion for my Laptop. (A very well put together game with a wonderful soundtrack. And a reactive Narrator.) At first I didn't know what it was. Then I saw its gameplay and decided immediately to get this game. (It was originally for Xbox live arcade so it works well with my 360 controller.)
I enjoy RPGs more like MGS, and I hope they make more for the 3DS. Not just that one, but maybe ALL of the Metal Gear Solid franchise could be on the eShop.

Tokyo Mirage Sessions for me

Undertale and most of Atlus' games. Both music and gameplay is awesome. Also, I like the concept of having multiple endings.

I always like the niche series like Etrian Odyssey and Disgaea most of all. They've got a really unique feel to them, a kind of soul, like you can feel the game in a sense. Something that goes deeper than most of the bigger name RPGs.

In terms of story, I loved Labyrinth of Refrain: Coven of Dusk most of all. The visuals were stunningly beautiful, too, and my only real complaint is that I never managed to figure out how to properly utilise most of the mechanics in the game. Nor did I ever beat the final boss... sadly, still have got to get around to that sometime, that fight is really unfair.

It's so intricate, unique, everything about Labyrinth really brings out the soul like so many other niche RPGs, only this time it's brought to an even deeper level. I can't really explain it well but something about this game just made me feel good. The story, the visuals, the lore, everything else built together into something truly special.

I wouldn't say favorite but I liked them a lot.

The Tenth Line- It's short but has neat lore/storytelling. Creative use of the RPG standard and it also has working platforming. I wish the card game in this game (Quad Pro Quo) was available to play online on Switch but it works well as a free PC game instead so there's that.

Bakugan- For the reward of beating the game you can "bully" kids online so they disconnect to Wifi. It's like Pokemon but there's a thing you can equip that renders their way to gather energy for a long time impaired to the point that you win. The final boss used this item you can buy at any shop so to me it's the end all friendships.

Magi-Nation- A card game, TV show, and Game Boy Color title with the main concept being collecting more Dream Creatures and gaining stats while on your quest to stop evil and get home at the same time.

SMT as a whole but only the RPGs- For this description Tokyo Mirage Sessions gets a mention. Basically for the great gamer-thinkers of the RPG genre.

Back