Fortnite has "Ruined Our Child's Life", parent claims

• Thread starter Marc
  • Start date
Okay I see that my point did not come off that well. Yes self control is important but it's not as easy to learn self control now with regard to electronics. Like I said, they are being used in schools more and more and the kid is missing out on a lot of things socially if they don't use electronics outside of that.

Fortnite is a game that takes advantage of this. It's an addictive game targeted specifically at these kids. Learning self control in this age is already hard, it does not help that an incredibly popular game among these kids is a highly addictive one.

Basically what I'm trying to say is that Fortnite preys on kids struggle with self control and that shouldn't be okay. Obviously parents need to teach them self control but that doesn't make what Fortnite is doing any better. They are targeting kids who don't know self control and is making it a lot harder for them to learn it. Why? Just for a quick buck off of their parent's credit card.

well if you have a problematic aspect in your personality, its up to you to improve that, and you cannot call other "evil" because they dont adjust to you

I would very much like to know what you mean by this exactly.

I would very much like to know what you mean by this exactly.
i will put myself as a example, as a kid/teenager, i did/said some bad things some of then just for fun, others because I truly didnt undertand that it was a bad thing ¿does my asperger excuse me for that because " i couldn't control myself"?
no ,its was my responsability ,maybe i needed to learn why some things i did where bad and eventually i did what i could to become a better person

the same goes with gacha games , if you spend too much money in one and you cannot afford it, its only your responsability

i will put myself as a example, as a kid/teenager, i did/said some bad things some of then just for fun, others because I truly didnt undertand that it was a bad thing ¿does my asperger excuse me for that because " i could not control myself"?
no ,its was my responsability ,maybe i needed to learn why some things i did where bad and eventually i did what i could to become a better person

the same goes with gacha games , if you spend too much money in one and you cannot afford it, its only your responsability

I don't think you fully understand the differences between neurotypical and neurodiverse and the actual physical and mental differences in multiple aspects. For example, ADHD people's brain are literally physically different in areas such as the Amygdala which is smaller in ADHD people and that part of the brain controls things like decision making, memory and emotional responses.

People with ADHD also have issues with dopamine production, people with unmedicated and untreated ADHD have a lower density of dopamine transporter proteins.

And well, what increases dopamine more then gatcha games and games designed to drive dopamine? These kinds of issues are physically something that CANNOT just be taught out of someone. These are physical, literal impairments people have. And yes, there are similar issues with ASD brains.

Not everything can be taught.

I don't think you fully understand the differences between neurotypical and neurodiverse
you say that like i am not "neurodiverse" as i said before, i have asperger, of course i know the difference, but that doesnt make us less responsible of our actions

you say that like i am not "neurodiverse" as i said before, i have asperger, of course i know the difference, but that doesnt make us less responsible of our actions

Did you literally read any of my post

Did you literally read any of my post
yes, but event if being "neurodiverse"makes you harder to learn something, its doen mean "totally unable to do so"

yes, but event if being "neurodiverse"makes you harder to learn something, its doen mean "totally unable to do so"

Please re-read my post, my point isn't about that it's "harder" to learn something, it's about parts of your brain are literally smaller and "underdeveloped" in some areas compared to neurotypical people. If you have unmedicated and untreated ADHD, the parts of your life that those parts of the brain control are really REALLY damn near impossible to just, magic away without any outside help.

Please re-read my post, my point isn't about that it's "harder" to learn something, it's about parts of your brain are literally smaller and "underdeveloped" in some areas compared to neurotypical people. If you have unmedicated and untreated ADHD, the parts of your life that those parts of the brain control are really REALLY damn near impossible to just, magic away without any outside help.
that doesnt change its still your responsability to seek help if necesary, not only because of gacha games, but to avoid doing wathever they would repent later
i also have ADHD,i literally didnt realized what it was until i searched more of it in google because here in spain the abrevation is TDAH (Transtorno por Deficit de Atencion e Hiperactividad)(that was my mistake) and i have the selfcontrol to save hundreds of pulls in free currency in gacha games, so IT can be taugth
it can be harder but any decent psychologist would say it isnt "near impossible"

that doesnt change its still your responsability to seek help if necesary

YOU LITERALLY CAN'T SEEK HELP IF HELP ISN'T AVAILABLE

YOU LITERALLY CAN'T SEEK HELP IF HELP ISN'T AVAILABLE
and what could be a situation where it isnt?at least here in spain if someone doesnt seek help its not because it isnt avaliable(because it always is ,wich is the benefit of having a public healthcare) but because they are too lazy to do so or simply dont care
and even if someone is in a situation where help isnt avaliable ,then as citizens its our responsability to make sure that help IS avaliable ,including persons with ADHD themselves, at least relatively close to where they live

we can do so by using our rigth to vote wisely, for example

and what could be a situation where it isnt?at least here in spain if someone doesnt seek help its not because it isnt avaliable(because it always is ,wich is the benefit of having a public healthcare) but because they are too lazy to do so or simply dont care
and even if someone is in a situation where help isnt avaliable ,then as citizens its our responsability to make sure that help IS avaliable ,including persons with ADHD themselves, at least relatively close to where they live

we can do so by using our rigth to vote wisely, for example

I have pretty bad ADHD. I was diagnosed back mid-way through high school. Due to "lack of funding" I was told that I wouldn't be allowed therapy for it and instead I was put onto multiple meds, all of which either didn't do anything at all or made me seriously ill. Once I'd gone through all 4 meds, I was told that there was nothing left to help me and I was kicked out of the system. If I try and go back now as an adult, I'll get even less help and probably get laughed at by the system.

It makes me incredibly angry when people try and say that "help is always available, you're just too lazy to get it" because it isn't. This isn't an issue from voting or whatever either, it's a case that a lot of people don't care and that funding here in the UK doesn't go to mental health/disabilities such as ADHD/ASD.

For me, I am fully alone on trying to cope with everything, and it's bloody hard. I was never taught any coping mechanisms, never taught about how neurotypical people act, never taught how to deal with anything that comes with ADHD/ASD. I had to slowly try and teach myself, cause even my parents don't understand and were never told what ADHD/ASD even is fully.

So please, do not assume that help and resources are out there that everyone can access with perfect ease because the real world is never that kind. Hence why if you notice in all my posts, I specified "untreated and unmedicated".

I have pretty bad ADHD. I was diagnosed back mid-way through high school. Due to "lack of funding" I was told that I wouldn't be allowed therapy for it and instead I was put onto multiple meds, all of which either didn't do anything at all or made me seriously ill. Once I'd gone through all 4 meds, I was told that there was nothing left to help me and I was kicked out of the system. If I try and go back now as an adult, I'll get even less help and probably get laughed at by the system.

It makes me incredibly angry when people try and say that "help is always available, you're just too lazy to get it" because it isn't. This isn't an issue from voting or whatever either, it's a case that a lot of people don't care and that funding here in the UK doesn't go to mental health/disabilities such as ADHD/ASD.

For me, I am fully alone on trying to cope with everything, and it's bloody hard. I was never taught any coping mechanisms, never taught about how neurotypical people act, never taught how to deal with anything that comes with ADHD/ASD. I had to slowly try and teach myself, cause even my parents don't understand and were never told what ADHD/ASD even is fully.

So please, do not assume that help and resources are out there that everyone can access with perfect ease because the real world is never that kind. Hence why if you notice in all my posts, I specified "untreated and unmedicated".
im sorry for assuming,your circunstances were hard, but still that wasnt because of a gacha game, it was the fault of the sistem there
also ,as you said, you "teached yourself" meaning that eventually, you took responsability of your own actions, because at the end, what you end up doing its your responsability,
you were less fortunate than me, and you are a strong person ,but blaming gacha games because the system didnt help you isnt the solution , the true problem lies in the system, if gacha games were to dissapear, people who dont control themselves would still ruin their lifes with their own actions and still have themselves to blame (and I include actions that can hurt other persons even if that isnt the intention)

for example those hordes people that sabotage themselves by voting politians that are obviusly corrupt and make the sistem worse, and thats infuriating, because those people drag others with them
here in spain we are in a situacion were we finally have the chance to get better, im not optimistic of wathever other people will do , but i will be responsible of my vote so that , at least, the situation wont become worse

im sorry for assuming,your circunstances were hard, but still that wasnt because of a gacha game, it was the fault of the sistem there
also ,as you said, you "teached yourself" meaning that eventually, you took responsability of your own actions, because at the end, what you end up doing its your responsability,
you were less fortunate than me, and you are a strong person ,but blaming gacha games because the system didnt help you isnt the solution , the true problem lies in the system, if gacha games were to dissapear, people who dont control themselves would still ruin their lifes with their own actions and still have themselves to blame (and I include actions that can hurt other persons even if that isnt the intention)

for example those hordes people that sabotage themselves by voting politians that are obviusly corrupt and make the sistem worse, and thats infuriating, because those people drag others with them
here in spain we are in a situacion were we finally have the chance to get better, im not optimistic of wathever other people will do , but i will be responsible of my vote so that , at least, the situation wont become worse

This is going way off topic now and you're still not fully understanding what I'm saying. Taking responsibility =/= the problem is solved. I struggle a ton daily with a lot of insignificant things.

Gatcha games aren't the sole issue here, no. But they take advantage of people who don't have as much control over those parts of their brain, unlike other people.

You also heavily do not understand how voting works. Or even what voting does in the first place.

This has been going on for a while now.

It's just a fun game, it's just fun.

It's just a fun game, it's just fun.
I'm not angry, just disappointed.

Reactions: 28142
In what way was the child's life ruined? Can he still talk? Can he still think? Can he still eat? Are his school grades OK?

In what way was the child's life ruined? Can he still talk? Can he still think? Can he still eat? Are his school grades OK?

Depends on what you mean by "talk". Think? Depends on the level of addiction. Eat? Also depends on the level of addiction. School grades? Most likely not.

Depends on what you mean by "talk". Think? Depends on the level of addiction. Eat? Also depends on the level of addiction. School grades? Most likely not.
So that means his life probably wasn't ruined. So if he studies hard at uni or wherever, he may get a decent job. I doubt his life was ruined.

Back