Google Glass

• Thread starter Reece
  • Start date
R

Reece

I now stumbled upon the Google Glass on Youtube.

For those who don't know,

Google Glass is an attempt to free data from desktop computers and portable devices like phones and tablets, and place it right in front of your eyes.

Essentially, Google Glass is a camera, display, touchpad, battery and microphone built into spectacle frames so that you can perch a display in your field of vision, film, take pictures, search and translate on the go.

The principle is one that has been around for years in science fiction, and more recently it's become a slightly clunky reality. In fact, the "heads-up display" putting data in your field of vision became a reality as early as 1900 when the reflector sight was invented.

What are the Google Glass specifications?
As well as a mooted 640 x 360 display, the built-in camera is a 5MP snapper that can film at 720p.

Battery life is apparently a day, although that's with the usual "typical use" caveat, which probably excludes a lot of videoing.

There's 16GB of flash memory built into the device, although only 12GB will be available for user storage. The device will sync to your Google Drive in the cloud

Bluetooth and WiFi will be built in, but no GPS chip - so the Glass will probably work best alongside an Android phone, although you can pair with any Bluetooth enabled phone.

The Google Glass (the developer version being sent out now) costs $1,500

Google-Glass-Future-Thumb.jpg

Would you get this product?

Reactions: Marc
$1500 :eek: It might be cool to have but I wouldn't pay that much for it since I wouldn't use it a lot.

I can see an increase in accidents on the road with this. I also dislike the fact that people will have the ability to record someone without them knowing (I think that's how it works, however, I may be wrong). This may even lead to serious eye related problems. Let's not forget that people can take advantage of it to cheat on school tests :sneaky:

$1500 :eek: It might be cool to have but I wouldn't pay that much for it since I wouldn't use it a lot.

I can see an increase in accidents on the road with this. I also dislike the fact that people will have the ability to record someone without them knowing (I think that's how it works, however, I may be wrong). This may even lead to serious eye related problems. Let's not forget that people can take advantage of it to cheat on school tests :sneaky:

That's the developer edition, usually the user version cost the half or less. :panda:

About recording, those glass will have a led, so they will be on if you are taking photos or, recording. :D

Also, I don't think teachers will let kids use this glass on a test :p

I'd love to use the Google Glass in my finals and other tests! :D Maybe IfI ever get one I'll try it xD Worth a shot.

*cough,cough*
Vegeta-prince-vegeta-30243304-995-985.jpg

I think Vegeta had the idea first,lol.
One Google Glass con - data capture isn’t the only privacy problem with Glass: It’s also data use. The most controversial is facial recognition, technology that scans and identifies specific faces,acknowledging privacy concerns.Picture a man at a bar who merely looks at a woman to learn her name. Then he can do a few quick searches to find her age, address, phone number and interests. It might sound like science fiction, but it’s already here.Just like fingers and irises, faces have unique patterns that make them one of a kind. Facial recognition is already in use from Facebook to bars to airports. It’s already extremely accurate and getting even more sophisticated.

I won't buy it maybe because I have my phone and what sense it makes to buy this,I know its cool with voice activation and all that but I won't be using it all the time.

*cough,cough*
Vegeta-prince-vegeta-30243304-995-985.jpg

I think Vegeta had the idea first,lol.
One Google Glass con - data capture isn’t the only privacy problem with Glass: It’s also data use. The most controversial is facial recognition, technology that scans and identifies specific faces,acknowledging privacy concerns.Picture a man at a bar who merely looks at a woman to learn her name. Then he can do a few quick searches to find her age, address, phone number and interests. It might sound like science fiction, but it’s already here.Just like fingers and irises, faces have unique patterns that make them one of a kind. Facial recognition is already in use from Facebook to bars to airports. It’s already extremely accurate and getting even more sophisticated.

I won't buy it maybe because I have my phone and what sense it makes to buy this,I know its cool with voice activation and all that but I won't be using it all the time.

IT'S OVER 9000!

Whats over 9000?

HIS POWER LEVEL!

Wait... You don't know that joke?

Reactions: Reece
Reactions: ErixSan
I'd love to use the Google Glass in my finals and other tests! :D Maybe IfI ever get one I'll try it xD Worth a shot.

Totally worth a shot, either 100% on that test or disqualification 0%. :sneaky:

Oh...my eyes! That is some amazing technology by Google, but I hope it doesn't mean the world will go blind due to technology.

Reactions: Reece
Oh...my eyes! That is some amazing technology by Google, but I hope it doesn't mean the world will go blind due to technology.

Something more amazing: You can hear music without headphones, and nobody can hear you, because it will have a special system.

Something more amazing: You can hear music without headphones, and nobody can hear you, because it will have a special system.

I can already listen to music without headphones. It's called "blast music on the computer". lol You don't have anything plugged into your ears and if you talk, no one can hear you. The computer has a special operating system. ;) I have the technology that you're talking about.

I can already listen to music without headphones. It's called "blast music on the computer". lol You don't have anything plugged into your ears and if you talk, no one can hear you. The computer has a special operating system. ;) I have the technology that you're talking about.

I was talking about the Bone conduction transducer

I was talking about the Bone conduction transducer

I have never heard of that, but I did hear about Google Glass before this thread. Maybe it's not too popular.

I have never heard of that, but I did hear about Google Glass before this thread. Maybe it's not too popular.

It's something "in production". :p

It's something "in production". :p

Me gustan los conceptos de Google Glass. Son muy inteligentes.

Me gustan los conceptos de Google Glass. Son muy inteligentes.

Más que inteligentes, los consideros muy avanzados.

Back