Handheld?

• Thread starter Maddie
  • Start date
Maddie

Maddie

The Hero in Green
Towns Folk
Do you think that making a handheld console has helped or hurt Nintendo?

I think that is helps because some people like the idea of being able to play games on the go. I mean, you see adults playing games on their smartphones so I think kids/teenagers like having the portability of a handheld.

Personally, I think Nintendo's handheld is better because you can play games in 3D, whereas you can't for the Playstation handhelds. And I think Microsoft is just loosing out altogether by not making a handheld at all.

What do you guys think?

Personally, I think handheld consoles helped Nintendo get where it is today. While the Wii was excellent in being one of the first Motion controlled consoles, handhelds are really popular with people of all ages; and handhelds is such a booming industry, they really have had no competition.

The 3DS did really well. It sold so many and even the GBA did ok. It has certainly helped Nintendo in many ways. Sometimes when you're out it's nice to play games to pass the time.

If Nintendo never made a handheld, then there would be no handheld gaming industry. Smartphones would have filled that void by now and video games would be limited to home consoles and PCs. I am very glad that Nintendo revolutionized the handheld with the Gameboy, DS, and 3DS (a bit less but still innovative). I have always preferred handhelds to home consoles because portability really brings you closer to a game and gives you many more opportunities to play it (than home consoles).

It helped Nintendo, and it stills helps right now. Nintendo's handhels always sold more (most of the time, if not all) than home consoles, because they're portable, and generally get a vast amount of quality games, including possible ports of old success (ex: Zelda OoT 3D for the 3DS, Super Mario 64 DS for the... DS?), allowing Nintendo to be in a good situation, even if their home console doesn't sell properly (ex: The 3DS' sales was enough to reduce the money loss for the WiiU's poor sales before [since it's ruling the home console market in Japan, and that it starts to get a better reception everywhere else]).

Well, Nintendo's handhelds have allowed them to be more experimental with their home consoles. Just think, without the gba, Nintendo could've gone bankrupt after the Gamecube. I think it's because of handhelds that we've gotten the wii and wiiu.

It definitely helped NOT hindered nintendo! Portable gaming systems nowadays is the root of all nintendos funds and is now the core of the company! Sure I won't say Nintendo consoles aren't fun (which they are heaps of fun!) it's just great to have something nintendo that is portable in your hand! and the 3DS helped revolutionize portable gaming to the brink of putting it in a different dimension, literally! The third dimension! ;D Anyone who says that the decision Nintendo made to start making portables was a bad one and that it hindered them... well anyone who says that is seriously out of there mind!! ;P Because really, Ocarina of Time 3D was like the best thing that ever happened to video gaming like ever :p Currently in the works of an N64 portable with my cousin! For more info PM me!

The handhelds Nintendo made helped it all the way starting with the genius Game Boy made with cheap materials that lasted a long time and a battery life that beat its competitors. Nintendo has done good ever since with the best portable experiences as well as console remakes on handhelds (heck there should be Duck Hunt for the 3DS even though it would be real easy). Plus their compatibility with consoles and the consoles way to read the GB games has never failed to amaze. There is a ton of potential now for Nintendo and if it weren't for handhelds the Wii U would never have been made again right now I bet.

Last edited:
The handhelds Nintendo made helped it all the way starting with the genius Game Bay made with cheap materials that lasted a long time and a battery life that beat its competitors. Nintendo has done good ever since with the best portable experiences as well as console remakes on handhelds (heck there should be Duck Hunt for the 3DS even though it would be real easy). Plus their compatibility with consoles and the consoles way to read the GB games has never failed to amaze. There is a ton of potential now for Nintendo and if it weren't for handhelds the Wii U would never have been made again right now I bet.

Agreed with everything you say! Firstly though, you did have a small typo there ;P Game BOY not bay ;P sorry I just had to mention that! >.< And I completely agree that the wii U wouldnt be here today if nintendo hadn't had made handhelds! A lot would be different thats for sure!! And now with the next super smash bros coming out to be the first on a handheld, it's just amazing! Never would I have dreamed to play ssb on a handheld back when I was like 10! A lot has changed in nintendos world in 4 years.....

Agreed with everything you say! Firstly though, you did have a small typo there ;P Game BOY not bay ;P sorry I just had to mention that! >.< And I completely agree that the wii U wouldnt be here today if nintendo hadn't had made handhelds! A lot would be different thats for sure!! And now with the next super smash bros coming out to be the first on a handheld, it's just amazing! Never would I have dreamed to play ssb on a handheld back when I was like 10! A lot has changed in nintendos world in 4 years.....
Yes, pretty soon every type of game will be on every system (we just have Pikmin and the GCN Pokemon series left to finish). The handheld usually has more potential for change since they have slightly weaker hardware than the consoles and so far I think it would be hard for Nintendo to improve an already awesome modern system so hopefully they hang on with more games for it before they decide to make a new one and get a profit.

I defiantly helped, the 3DS, and DS were two great systems that sold very well. The Game Boy was an amazing idea, and it was certainly beneficial to the gaming industry, sparking many ideas, which made new consoles and great games. There's already like Smash Bros coming out on the 3DS,now that's amazing..

Handheld has DEFINITELY helped Nintendo. I mean, when you think about it, no company has really ever been able to mirror the success that Nintendo has had with the GameBoy and the entire ds series. Not many people have been able to compare to that, which pretty much makes Nintendo the top dog in the handheld gaming world.

I think that the rest of the gaming industry go to see high quality handhelds and high quality games for them because of Nintendo. You know how much love and effort was poured into making the Gameboy, and it showed in every aspect: hardware, games, and customer reviews. Nintendo's handhelds are so well made that some of them still work after years. My first GBC still works like a charm, although my games do not work.
The DS and the 3DS are also evident in Nintendo's success. The DS sold like hotdogs when it came out, the games were great and it was so well built. The 3DS also shares in the success of the DS, adding amazing new features never before seen on a handheld.
Personally, I think that these handhelds brought Nintendo p to what they are now.
Long Live Nintendo! :love:

I think everybody so far has pretty much summed it up. I never understood why Microsoft never got into making a handheld. Sony did but not Microsoft. I wonder why?

I don't either, but listen to this, I have a friend who since the time I got my beloved 3ds, he started talking about buying a psvita. He bore us talking all the time about the ps vita, and we suggested him not to do so because psvita does not have the kind of games he likes. It didn't matter and he continued with the idea of buying a ps vita, but in the end he finally changed his mind, he is so stubborn, he says he hasn't given up the idea of the psvita buy now there are other priorities. To me the 3ds is just amazing and the lineup of games make it even a better console.

All of Nintendo handhelds helped Nintendo to where it is now.The portable handhelds like the Nintendo 3ds and Gameboy are fun anywhere and the games are enjoyable when playing,plus only some games are for the 3ds so if your a fan of one of these games you may want to buy the game.Nintendo handhelds are amazing and the consoles are awesome like the wii u.

The handheld systems have definitely help Nintendo out. The home consoles are cool and all but Nintendo is the company that used the most handhelds. The only other ok handheld was the ps vita. The whole DS line is like half of Nintendo.

Handhelds have really helped Nintendo in many ways to earn money and one of my personal favorites of the whole Nintendo consoles . It would have been really horrible if Nintendo never ever made any handheld consoles because they were very awesome and the best in my opinion :D

Handhelds have helped Nintendo a lot. Since the Nintendo DS dominated portable gaming, it earned Nintendo a lot of money. The GBA also did well, especially with the games that were made for it. The Nintendo 3DS is also doing well, and it may also have the same lifespan of the Nintendo DS, maybe even longer.

I believe that Nintendo's handheld market is one of the biggest reasons that they are where they are today. The gameboy generation practically defined handheld gaming, and sold tens of millions of units, while the DS generation has sold more units than any other console in history. Without the 3DS, Nintendo would have had a much tougher time during the sloppy sales of the WiiU. In conclusion, yes the handheld market is one of the things that make Nintendo...well...Nintendo.

Back