Hideo Kojima will leave Komani after MGS5

• Thread starter 18
  • Start date

Lime Pawpaw
Towns Folk
The man who is Metal Gear's everything, who was basically Konami himself, is expected to leave after Metal Gear Solid 5. Along with other bigshots - his contract will expire in December.

Doesn't it feel like the whole world is changing? Inafune leaving Capcom, Kojima leaving Konami, Jay leaving Bullet For My Valentine, Sambora leaving Bon Jovi, comedy and film legends dying...

:cry:

What do you guys think?

I think Konami's gonna sink.

Reactions: faustine
Lets not forget that Konami also makes Yu-Gi-Oh games as well, but i will agree they don't make money. Kojima was basically the only guy who was keeping Konami alive. The real question is that even though Metal Gear is ending, who will take the IP rights? Because remember Inafune asked to have Mega Man before he left but they denied. Also, Konami owns Silent hill so i'm wondering if Kojima will still work on that or no? It is heart breaking.

The man who is Metal Gear's everything, who was basically Konami himself, is expected to leave after Metal Gear Solid 5. Along with other bigshots - his contract will expire in December.

Doesn't it feel like the whole world is changing? Inafune leaving Capcom, Kojima leaving Konami, Jay leaving Bullet For My Valentine, Sambora leaving Bon Jovi, comedy and film legends dying...

:cry:

What do you guys think?

I think Konami's gonna sink.

Kojima is leaving ? One of the gaming's biggest yet appreciated trolls ?
I think something is not right. He already scared many players many times by using his jokes, but I feel like something is true this time. Konami would be trouble if Kojima was to go, since MGS was one of Konami's biggest licences.

As for Inafune (since you named him), I don't worry for him; apparently, he's working (or not) on Mighty N.9 (maybe he's still waiting for more money, as if the game didn't gathered enough funds).

But on another hand, I wonder what would happen to Kojima. Would he join another company, or worst case scenario stop working in the gaming industry ?

I think he'll make his own company. I guess we're entering a new generation of gaming devs and legends are forming some of them them - Inafune has done really well with his, maybe Kojima will follow suit.

Reactions: D4rkDragon
Even LovePlus and Tokimeki Memorial left Konami. Like, everyone leaves Konami. There must be something happened there .__.

I'm not entirely sure if this rumour is true, but it looks more and more realistic. Either way Kojima technically has his own company in Kojima Productions and has expressed interest in doing non-Metal Gear Solid stuff. Considering his non-Metal Gear work includes Zone of the Enders I'm sort of hopeful. Probably the succeeding MGS games won't be as good but we can always hope (anyway Revengeance was easily the best Metal Gear and that wasn't even a Konami).
If I was a bigger fan of horrors I might be scared for the new Silent Hills though.

Reactions: 18
An update makes things confusing. A Konami representative:

"Konami Digital Entertainment, including Mr. Kojima, will continue to develop and support Metal Gear products. Please look forward to future announcements."

However, everything regarding Kojima has been removed from MGS5's artwork on Konami's website.

I really don't know what to make of this.

An update makes things confusing. A Konami representative:

However, everything regarding Kojima has been removed from MGS5's artwork on Konami's website.

I really don't know what to make of this.

Yeah It's exactly because of that weird statement that I'm confused with the entire thing. As it stands now it looks like he'll form a weird contracting deal with them as a sort of third party and not executive head honcho.

If Kojima DOES leave (and I say IF because this whole deal with him being a third party is kinda confusing), Konami is gonna be even worse then it already is. It's already shown that it can't do Silent Hill as good as it used to (don't even get me started on the crappy HD remake deal), Castlevania has been a joke for a while, even the last handheld one was crappy, and they don't advertise their games well either, and the few things they do, they don't put out many copies or they release their games with horrible timing (I refer to Month of Madness for that one, but there are plenty of other examples). That being said, I do hope Konami does well, and the new Silent Hills looks promising, but I'm not how well they'll do once Kojima leaves

Reactions: 532
No! Why! My childhood! Ugh, I really don't know what will become of the Metal Gear Solid series, now that the man behind pretty much everything is leaving. It won't be good, that's all I know.
Let's hope they get someone who can at least keep some of the creative ideas Kojima implemented.

I thought he was the main one behind Silent Hills rofl

I thought he was the main one behind Silent Hills rofl
No, though he did direct PT, and he's directing Silent Hills

Konami will survive. They have PES too!
Metal Gear 4, Ground Zeroes and Rising have the "Kojima Productions" seal. Kojima is just growing up and getting more freedom to do what he wants.

Konami released an official statement. It's confirmed that Kojima will be leaving after the Phantom Pain, so this will be his last MGS game, after which it's most likely he'll work on new IPs with the rest of the Kojima Productions team who leaves Konami. As for Silent Hills I'm not too sure what's going to happen. It's possible he's already directed enough of it that he isn't really needed for the end, but there's been no official statements as to what's going to happen.

They're being really ambiguous, man. Kojima has assured everyone that he is working on MGS5, but the way he says it, and the way he doesn't mention his plans with Konami beyond that, worries me.

Kojima said:
"I want to reassure fans that I am 100 percent involved and will continue working on Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain; I'm determined to make it the greatest game I've directed to date. Don't miss it!"

I'm not really that big of a MGS fan, so it doesn't bother me much, but what worries me is what will happen to his other projects. PT really showed the potential of Silent Hills, but now that he's leaving, who knows what will happen to that?

Well I guess we know for sure that MGSV will be a Kojima game through and through, and considering how good Ground Zeroes was that's a damn good thing.

Well... then Metal Gear 6 won't have Kojima? '-'

It's been confirmed that Silent Hills is cancelled.

It is confirmed that he is leaving Konami.
Rumors that he will be having side-projects (ZOE??? and Silent Hill).
Even the trailer of Silent Hill where Kojima is involved is already released, the project was cancelled.
And what will happen to unrealeased MGS games that will complete its timeline?
Including the remake of MGS1?

Back