Insect Glaive

• Thread starter Ashkil
  • Start date
Ashkil

Ashkil

Space Cowboy
Towns Folk
So I just started using the Insect Glaive after using the dual blades for awhile now. Does anyone have any tips or combos that are important to know when using this weapon?

Just make sure you know where to get the different juices on each monster and go for the Effect Extender bug. X+X+X+A is the general combo I use, as it has a quick transition to let you spam it.

I used dual blades and ig as well, remember R+B is a jump, and can be used to mount easily. A little tidbit of advice, there is a short period of time after you mount a monster before you can mount it again, its diffrent for each monster. Focus on attacking and dodging in this period of time. Cheers!

About mounting... Mounting acts like a status. What that means is that a monster builds up resistance over time and the more you do it, the longer it will take to mount it again, and after about 4 times (it varies depending on the monster, but 4 is a good number to do) total (yours and others combined) mounts, you shouldn't be actively trying to mount. A good way to use mounts is to do it when a monster is enraged.

I've done the mounting a bit but I always assumed that you could only mount once. Does it do significantly more damage than regular combos?
Also what is the effect extender bug?

I've done the mounting a bit but I always assumed that you could only mount once. Does it do significantly more damage than regular combos?
Also what is the effect extender bug?
It does do damage, though I'll admit I don't know how much. It does knock the monster down for you and your teammates to wail in and attack weakpoints, though. The effect extender bug is a kinsect that doubles the time you have the buffs when you get them.

Reactions: Ashkil
Also, use the pole-vault as a way of excaping attacks. I don't think you should have moved to the Insect Glaive as it is truly complex and requires a lot of skill and reflexes. Hope this helped.

I moved to the IG early because I wanted to develop the skills when the game was still in an easier phase. I found the gameplay with the Dual Blades to be slightly stale

If every hit bounces off the enemy (like Gravios), try abusing the mounting system to break open his soft spots a little bit quicker. :)

If every hit bounces off the enemy (like Gravios), try abusing the mounting system to break open his soft spots a little bit quicker. :)

So mounting breaks off the armour? Can you cut off the tail or feelers or that sort of thing with mounting too?

So mounting breaks off the armour? Can you cut off the tail or feelers or that sort of thing with mounting too?
Only breaks the backs (or chest on some monsters like Gravios) if you do it enough. You can't break anything else, but knocking it over certainly makes it easier to do.

Only breaks the backs (or chest on some monsters like Gravios) if you do it enough. You can't break anything else, but knocking it over certainly makes it easier to do.
Doesent mounting break the heads on things like the dromes?

Doesent mounting break the heads on things like the dromes?
No, I don't think so. It might break it on a seltas, but that's an exception to the rule.

No, I don't think so. It might break it on a seltas, but that's an exception to the rule.
It also breaks the frills on the Great Jaggi, so it may just break crests on monsters without back breaks, I.e. dromes, seltas, etc.

So to break something like the gore magala tail you just keep whacking the tail?

So to break something like the gore magala tail you just keep whacking the tail?
Yep, unless you can figure out how to mount the tail itself :p

Another tip im suprised hasent been mentiond, where to get the essences and why. Red essense is a boost in power, white in speed, and orange in defence. Green essence is just a small increase to health and I never relly use it. Red and white is a bigger boost in attack, and white and orange a bigger boost in defence. If you get all three essences besides green, you get a huge boost to all three stats. The essense locations are normaly as follows but keep in mind, it might change depending on the monster. Red is usually the face and neck, white is usually the legs and wings if there are any, orange is usually the main body, and green the tail. One last useful tip is as soon as your kinsect collects the essence, press R and A to make it start comming back to you.

I also forgot to add that getting all three essences gives you temporary earplugs. Its a nice incentive to always try and complete the essences :3
(idk if it really does but I never get interrupted by roars when I get all three)

I also forgot to add that getting all three essences gives you temporary earplugs. Its a nice incentive to always try and complete the essences :3
(idk if it really does but I never get interrupted by roars when I get all three)
Yes, but it doesent protect against all monster roars, only some. And if you have earplugs, then you wont get interupted while mounting by the monster roar if it protects against it. For example, all three Essenses make you imuune to the tetsucabra roar, but not the gore magalas roar. You should go for the essences anyway, as the damage per second when you have all three is absolutely ludicrous.

WEll I have to tell you that the insect glaive is not my main weapon, anyway I have tried it out and I figured out some combo attacks, for example after pressing the A button you immediately start pressing the X button and it starts hitting the monster with a couple of combos. Another thing to bear in my is the insect properly said, I mean, the insect is not just there for the sake of fashion, it's got some cool use like for example if you send it to gather some monster fluid (which you just need to press the R button and while holding it you press the x button) and when it comes back, it gives it to you. What is this monster fluid i am talking about, easy, it is some sort of enhancement and I can tell when the color of it is red, it helps you attack faster.

Back