Insect Glaive

• Thread starter Ashkil
  • Start date
If you haven't heard of gaijinhunter, is is from what ive seen the go to for tutorials of all sorts. Hes better at explaining then the people here thats for sure. Here is his almost to indepth guide to the insect glaive. Just bear in mind this Is from before he spoke in his videos, so it is subtitles, and I dont rember if its a japan copy of the game or an english copy. Anyway, enjoy the video.

Yes, but it doesent protect against all monster roars, only some. And if you have earplugs, then you wont get interupted while mounting by the monster roar if it protects against it. For example, all three Essenses make you imuune to the tetsucabra roar, but not the gore magalas roar. You should go for the essences anyway, as the damage per second when you have all three is absolutely ludicrous.
Ah that clears it up :D
I only use the Insect Glaive against the Basarios and Gravios so I wasnt sure if the earplug-effect was HG or not.

I'll just list this in bullet points (some of these might actually have been stated earlier by other pedians)

1.) Insect glaive uses 4 extracts;
red, orange, white, and green

singulars
red - attack (front)
orange - defense (lower sides and lower front)
white - jump (limbs and wings)
green - heal (usually found in tails)

combinations
white + red - attack up + usual red and white extract results
white + orange - def up + earplugs + usual orange and white extract results
white + red + orange - attack up and defense up large, earplugs, and all extract results

2.) Set mostly used for IG(based on online g rank encounters)(not counting star knight ofc)
u-ka-u-ka-u
sharpness +1
mind's eye
weakness exploit
w/ 11 slots

3.)Combos
after getting both red and white(this doesn't however apply to the speed run demo version of the game)
Spam mount or spam x-x-a
The usual extract combination routine is
red - white - mount monster - orange - red - white - mount - orange - etc.

4.) Some tips
a.) You can mark the monster by holding R and then releasing it when the triforce is targetting the monster (I forgot about this, IG is banned for more than 2 months now). You can also mark him in the middle of a combo (just press R.) Insect glaive is like a buffed version of longsword (they seriously nerfed this one ;-;).
b.) Mounting master/Rodeo God is a very good skill for insect Glaive (good thing you'll get one mounting +10 latter in the game).
c.) Mind's eye is also a very excellent skill for ig users, especially against those with rock skin.
d.) Insect glaive's kinsect attack can be charged.
e.) Get extract up to elongate extract effects

5.) Best IGs (for me, yes I forgot their names)
a.) Daora IG - Ice
mostly used against Teo
b.) Crimson IG - Fire
mostly used against chameleos
c.) Chameleos IG - Poison
mostly used against daora

6.) Why use IG?
A would be good contender for IG was the longsword, both of them have good reach, fast combos (IG is faster tbh). But the LS got nerfed to oblivion (can't blame them, inb4 LS was unstoppable). Anyways, both of them also has decent attack and great buffs specially IG which offers the player an attack up l.

Mounting is also highly appreciated in a team because it makes the hunts 2 times easier. Unlike other weapons IGs don't need ledges and other... forces to help them mount.

7.) Personal opinion (the whole comment is my personal review :v)
After a hundred uses of IG in the real game(excluding demo), it needs to be nerfed ;-; (seriously though, it's too op of a weapon). Anyways, use it at your own leisure. Next dlc is really close and it is star knight

8.) Ultimate kinsect (I'm kinda lazy to take a picture of it so... goodluck I guess?) (Jk, there are some guides about it online)

Here's a text guide with a link to a video:
http://forum.3dspedia.com/threads/getting-the-effect-extender-kinsect.15689/

Some other good IGs are:
(By the way, the Crimson IG is Blast, not Fire)
Universus (Rath IG, takes DLC) Fire
True Fatalis Dyaus (Black Fatalis, again, takes DLC) Dragon
Medusa Mirror (Tidal Najarala) Water
Fatalis Overlord (White Fatalis, DLC) Thunder
Highest of Glaives - Para (with Awaken)
Nightmare (S. Nerscylla) Sleep

That should be one for every element/status.

I forgot lol ;-; thanks for correcting me though raptor

No prob, thanks for the idea of putting the best glaives in :)

i find the insect glaive kinda confusing to use haha lol i think its just me :D i prefer to use the projectile based weapons such as the bow guns or just the simple bow and arrow - insect glaive is too advanced ^^

The insect glaive is a blast, you'll enjoy it. If you want tips, here's a couple.
Using your kinsect is good, ans getting the combos help a lot, but don't worry about constantly getting kinsect combos. If you worry to much, you'll rarely hit the enemy, and sometimes die if you try to hard. So, don't worry of constantly getting combos.

Make sure to try mounting the monster a lot, it'll help.

Try figuring out weapon combos. If you just test them out for five minutes, then master them, you'll become a master Hunter. So, figure those out.

Last, but not least. Use it a ALOT, then you'll become a master with it.

When I saw this thread on insect glaives, I just couldn't resist replying, seeing as though I'm an expert with 1. xd
Ok, so 1st- there's your basic combos like: X + X + A, etc.
Then (Yes, it does get better! Lol) there are advanced combos
that you can use via kinsect buffs.
Defense: Orange extract. & To enhance it even more, add white extract. Usually can be gathered from body. Exceptions: Elder Dragons- Fatalis, Gogmazios, etc.
Attack: Red extract. Same strategy with the white extract. Gathered from head/ legs/ tail. Ex: Rathalos & Seregios.
& Finally, green extract is from the tail. Extracting this gives you a slight health boost.
Jumping -aka pole vault- is, by far, one of the most epic abilities in the Monster Hunter universe (Besides the even more awesome ability to fight UNDERWATER!! :D) allowing you to mount & topple monsters!
The IG is an amazing weapon overall, but I get the feeling that Capcom has more in store for this 1 in particular... :sneaky:

Tips for the Insect glaive are:
  • Pole Vault often
  • Roll and attack
  • Dodge as much as possible
  • Upgrade it often
  • Upgrade your insect often
  • Use your insect oftenMount often
  • Play it on the attack
Hope this helped:):)

Just saying I loved the insect glance before I had the game. It was really good and reliable. If you want to know how to use your kinsect you need to push l and when the sign goes on the monster release it. Then push l+X to send out your kinsect. Then push l+ A to retrieve it. You need to give it nectar to level it up and make it stronger. One thing that sucks is that you need to fight a gore magala and get the materials when you want to level up the staff itself.

Generally just get your buffs by holding r and pressing x, mount often with r+b, put all nectar into speed, x a xx is a good combo to spam after having red and white

It's the best weapon

Insect Glaive is a great weapon mainly used for mounting. As you should know, R+X sends out the kinsect(bug) and R+A returns it. If you tap the R button, you can send out a marker so your kinsect knows which area to harvest juices from. In most cases, the Head is Attack, The legs(normally the back but you can try all 4) are speed, the back is defense(In some cases like Akantor, the Very base of the neck{the area where the neck becomes the shoulders or back} is also defense), and the Tail is pretty much always Health. From what i can tell from observing, Attack+speed(red+white)gives you exactly that, + a combo extender, meaning you can do much more hits in a combo much faster. When you attack a monster, make sure you always have these 2 juices at least. It also increases the amount of midair hits you do, as well as your vaulting height. Speed + defense ( White and orange) gives you exactly that, and pretty much nothing else except a higher vault. Attack+speed+defense(Red+White+Orange) gives you everything i have listed, + Low grade earplugs, meaning some monster roar effects don't make you flinch, which is useful during mounting but don't depend on it, as it doesn't always work. Most monsters fall from the insect glaive by the time you vault in the air(R+B) and slash down on them on the 2nd or 3rd try. Just make sure you have attack + speed before you even hit it. Once you successfully mount and topple a monster, Run around to its head and keep mashing X until your character does a Roundhouse slash(a complete slash all the way around in a circle) and then switch from X to mashing A until you see your character successfully bring his or her blade down, flip and do it again. You have successfully done a TON of damage with your combo. On low rank monsters, Using my insect glaive:

Daora's Samudra final (G-rank)

By the time you topple a monster for the 3rd time and do the combo i said all three times, it will be limping away or dead.

If your not G rank already, then try to get there, and when you do, follow this guide EXACTLY, and you will have the strongest kinsect possible:

Enjoy!

Back