Is it dangerous to use a Nintendo Switch charger to charge a phone?

• Thread starter Marc
  • Start date
Marc

Marc

"Marc's the sugar daddy of gaming" - Artisan 2020
Forum Management
I saw someone say they used their Nintendo Switch charger to charge their phone.

Normally I wouldn't think this is an OK thing to do but maybe I'm wrong. So now I'm wondering if it's safe to use a Nintendo Switch charger to charge phones. If it actually charges the phone, is it OK to use it repeatedly to charge the phone?

Just want to know for information purposes. I'm not actually going to do this.

For the official chargers, I would probably say to not do that. From what I've learnt from my time messing with the chargers and stuff, the official charger does something different to the power. I believe it takes in a higher power due to being used for docking. This could in the long run potentially cause some issues with the phone's battery.

It really isn't, I've done it before without any problems.

Phones have their own voltage regulator of sorts which only allows a specific max current to be passed through the phone. The Switch's USB cable is nowhere near the speed of standard fast chargers included with phones (mostly androids :p) so it should be fine.

Phones have their own voltage regulator of sorts which only allows a specific max current to be passed through the phone.

This isn't true for every phone. And not all of them are equal.

Reactions: Jisenku
This isn't true for every phone. And not all of them are equal.
It's a standard for all major phone brands, unless you have a weird off brand phone they all have the same mechanism.

The power output of the switch cable is actually very slow, so even if a phone somehow didn't have a regulator it's far too slow to worry about anything.

It's a standard for all major phone brands, unless you have a weird off brand phone they all have the same mechanism.

The power output of the switch cable is actually very slow, so even if a phone somehow didn't have a regulator it's far too slow to worry about anything.

I wouldn't just say that it's a clean slate from everything. Nothing can be 100% safe from things that aren't made for it. Just look up the USB killer and how that can kill phones (even just damaging the port even if the phone itself still works) from too much voltage/power surging.

I wouldn't just say that it's a clean slate from everything. Nothing can be 100% safe from things that aren't made for it. Just look up the USB killer and how that can kill phones (even just damaging the port even if the phone itself still works) from too much voltage/power surging.
Oh yeah I've heard of that, although that is specifically designed to input an extremely high voltage into a device so that isn't really the best example.

Doesn't apply to consumer grade type c cables, especially reputable brands like Nintendo. Even with the power brick the power output is nowhere near that of a standard phone, let alone fast charging. There is nothing special about the Switch cable that would damage a phone.

If anything, it's very inefficient to use the Switch cable since it charges a phone very slowly, I only use it if I feel too lazy to get my phone cable.

Doesn't apply to consumer grade type c cables, especially reputable brands like Nintendo.

I mean I had my first switch charger almost explode/catch fire on me so......

Before I start repeating myself I'll just end this here with, just because it can work doesn't mean it's advisable.

Also, the USB killer isn't an "extremely high voltage", it's just high.

I mean I had my first switch charger almost explode/catch fire on me so......

Before I start repeating myself I'll just end this here with, just because it can work doesn't mean it's advisable.

Also, the USB killer isn't an "extremely high voltage", it's just high.
Would you say that in general it's not advised to buy type c cables that are "off brand"? Yeah there are inherent risks to using "off brand" cables, but in general that risk is extremely low, especially if you just use the cable without the supplied power brick.

The USB killer uses 220 volts while in comparison a Samsung quick charger uses around 3.3 volts. I'd definitely call that extremely high.

If anything, I wouldn't use the cable by Nintendo simply because it is too slow to be practical. But if that's available there shouldn't be any issues with the Switch cable since it's just a standard cable.

Would you say that in general it's not advised to buy type c cables that are "off brand"? Yeah there are inherent risks to using "off brand" cables, but in general that risk is extremely low, especially if you just use the cable without the supplied power brick.

it's not about it just being "off-brand", it's about it being made for a totally different device with totally different needs.

it's not about it just being "off-brand", it's about it being made for a totally different device with totally different needs.
The needs being to charge a usb type c equipped device, it has the exact same purpose. There's a reason why Nintendo adopted type C, it's so you can interchange type c cables.

Same applies with a MacBook or other type c laptops, it has the same charging standard. On top of this almost all brands have a thermal regulator which prevents higher outputs from damaging the device as I've stated earlier.

Your case is very isolated, if anything the type c craze is for the very ability to interchange cables. Nothing of the Switch's cable can inherently damage a device due to it's low charging voltage ability.

Will they even fit? I thought Nintendo devices have their own charger shapes

Will they even fit? I thought Nintendo devices have their own charger shapes

some phones can, some can't. It's USB-C used for a switch which some phones have.

Reactions: Jisenku
some phones can, some can't. It's USB-C used for a switch which some phones have.
They need to do the same thing with the 3ds. Needing specific chargers sucks.

They need to do the same thing with the 3ds. Needing specific chargers sucks.

well it depends on a lot of things. Also, money.

I use Nintendo switch chargers on my phone and my phone is fine with it honestly. It depends on every phone so take my words with a grain of salt cause every phone is different. I use an asus phone and it uses my Nintendo switch charger no problem. I use my Nintendo switch charger cause my stupid phone won't use the android charger for who knows why. My phone is stupid lol. Anyway I feel if your wary if using your Nintendo switch charger to charge your phone my suggestion is maybe do your research first before doing so. It worked fine for me but idk if it might work for other phones, ect. I just don't want to mislead someone into breaking there phone. Have a nice day everyone and I'll see y'all later.

I saw someone say they used their Nintendo Switch charger to charge their phone.

Normally I wouldn't think this is an OK thing to do but maybe I'm wrong. So now I'm wondering if it's safe to use a Nintendo Switch charger to charge phones. If it actually charges the phone, is it OK to use it repeatedly to charge the phone?

Just want to know for information purposes. I'm not actually going to do this.
In my opinion, no. I mean, you can, but that would probably decrease the lifespan of your Nintendo Switch AC Adapter. It is recommended by myself and Nintendo (have you read the paper thingy that came with your switch? It says not to do that I think) to never use the AC Adapter on other devices or vice versa.

Usually, you can't use it in a phone because the Nintendo Switch Ac Adapter only outputs a specific amount of power. If that power is too much or too little to charge your phone, chances are it will most likely break.

I made the grave mistake of using the AC Adapter all the time for charging my phone with a USB C socket. And look where that got me. My AC Adapter barely works now, and it need to be tilted to a specific position for it to actually work.

Same goes vice versa

My AC Adapter barely works now, and it need to be tilted to a specific position for it to actually work.

This just sounds more like the cable broke/got bent too far and the insides have disconnected a little bit. Wouldn't be related to you useing it for an unintended purpose

• Informative
Reactions: Sunny_Meows
This just sounds more like the cable broke/got bent too far and the insides have disconnected a little bit. Wouldn't be related to you useing it for an unintended purpose
Huh. I wonder how it got bent. But it doesn't matter now. I bought a new one a few months ago lol

Reactions: 28142
I can’t even imagine how that could be possible to pull off. I wouldn’t think that would be a good idea. Chargers have different ways of pulling energy and charging things, so I would advise against that. I know even using 3rd party chargers for your phone can damage your battery.

I guess if it’s an actual emergency (which I can’t imagine what that would even be) you could attempt it.

Reactions: 28142
Back