Is wii u not doing well because its an nintendo product?

• Thread starter Magik
  • Start date
M

Magik

I made Resetti's Bad list.
Banned User
My friend and I were so happy when the SSB4 demo came out and we decided to play after school. One of our friends over heard us and said "You guys are playing smash? Whos house?" and we replied "for the 3ds version, not the wii" and he called us something that i probably shouldnt say about a certain group and left. He was joking about us though but it seems that a lot of people dont like nintendo because its come across as a kids franchise which it isnt.
The wii u might not be doing well because of this. Most of the people who would buy a wiiu wont because it is from nintendo and all of that stuff "is cool" or "COD is love Cod is life, wiim u suxs rage on me you cant even join my clan"
What do you think?

My friend and I were so happy when the SSB4 demo came out and we decided to play after school. One of our friends over heard us and said "You guys are playing smash? Whos house?" and we replied "for the 3ds version, not the wii" and he called us something that i probably shouldnt say about a certain group and left. He was joking about us though but it seems that a lot of people dont like nintendo because its come across as a kids franchise[...]

You have exactly given the definition of what's going on in France, in my school.
And that's sad that people nowadays are so close-minded, because the WiiU looks a great console, the few minutes I played it at my sister's home were enough to make me decide of buying a WiiU in the near future, but if I were to say it at school, people would laugh at me.

So, yup. The WiiU isn't doing well because it's a Nintendo product, it isn't doing well because of the close-minded, arrogant and elitist Pro-S/M (Note: It doesn't apply to all of them, I know some people who have Xbox/PlayStation consoles and that aren't acting like that) that are always saying bad things about it.

I own a Xbox but I am a hardcore Nintendo Fan
I usually play Nintendo more than anything.
I've grown up with it.

I don't get it. At my school they respect people who have Wii U/3DS/etc. even though the only thing they play is a PS3 or a XBOX. My school has a Smash tournament and everyone, and I mean EVERYONE, would go to the room the Smash tourney is in and cheer for every one. The grass and benches are all empty:panda:

Reactions: 3dsatackman, Mikaya and D4rkDragon
I don't get it. At my school they respect people who have Wii U/3DS/etc. even though the only thing they play is a PS3 or a XBOX. My school has a Smash tournament and everyone, and I mean EVERYONE, would go to the room the Smash tourney is in and cheer for every one. The grass and benches are all empty:panda:
I wish it would be the same here (in France).

i wish it could be the same everywhere

The wii u might not be doing well because of this. Most of the people who would buy a wiiu wont because it is from nintendo and all of that stuff "is cool" or "COD is love Cod is life, wiim u suxs rage on me you cant even join my clan"
You just summed up how painful the COD fanbrats in general. That kind of demographic only thinks of COD and nothing else ever, and everyone thinks it "cool" to hate on Nintendo and call them a "Kiddie Company". Well, you know what? I want to ask them a question while remaining annoymous to them: What game did they grow up as a child before they were introduced to that filth? Did they used to play Mario before COD corrupted their minds into yelling into their headsets and launch tactical nukes at each other? Did they used to jump across platforms or fought dungeons before resorting to camp and gun everyone down?

This is more than sad: It's tragic. Those young kids touch an XBOX 360/ONE or PS3/4 with COD in the system, and then all of a sudden, they play nothing else but that game and scream at everything, looking at the "realistic" graphic, when in reality, they are looking at graphics that are as dull as what their lives they are living right now.

I think I summed up the Anti-Nintendo for what they are: Dorito/Mountain Den-swilling jerks that used to have a childhood.

Reactions: 532, SaToRi, D4rkDragon and 1 other person
There is a scary connotation with immaturity and video games, where no one publicly speaks of any video games here, whether it may be the work place or educational environment.

I feel bad for Nintendo sometimes. Where I'm from, most people are pro Ps4/Xbone. Always Ps4 this, and Xbox 1 that. Poor Nintendo never gets any love unless they come out games like Mario Kart 8 or Smash. Maybe even some Pokemon.

I still don't get why though. There's nothing wrong with cartoony graphics or inferior hardware. As long as you have fun what does it really matter. Back in the days at every party. We used to play games like Mario Party/Mario Kart but how times have changed.

I dont really think it's Nintendo's fault..but they do have more crappy games than good ones since wii came out. They still have a lot of good ones though. No one complained about GBA because it had a lot of great games. So i think Games are a big part of what will sell a console.

This is why I'm glad to have sites like this. Friends dont really have nintendo consoles, so I can find people online to play with in a decent size community, and make more friends.

Reactions: Kaynil, Blazikenpwnsyou, Mikaya and 1 other person
Most younger kids act this way, too. I sometimes babysit a neighbor's son, who loves Nintendo, and he told me once that it would be impossible for him to say anything about Nintendo at school without being bullied.

I think that younger kids don't like Nintendo because they want to feel like adults. On the streets, I hear middle school kids calling each other a plethora of curse words, and making crude sex jokes.

I think that younger kids don't like Nintendo because they want to feel like adults. On the streets, I hear middle school kids calling each other a plethora of curse words, and making crude sex jokes.
That is how dreadfully painful COD causes younger kids to become: Children who got hypnotized to not act their age and act like adults, but should not grow up to become heartless, cuss-swilling thugs of this generation. This is how bad "realistic" shooters and M-rated titles, should they get exposed to it (because ESRB), can corrupt our children.

In terms of shooters, kids should play arcade titles like Galaga, and not corruptive garbage like COD. Or rather, in 2015, kids should rather play Splatoon! It's really the exact polar opposite of COD in terms of graphics, but has one word that COD does not: Fun!

That is how dreadfully painful COD causes younger kids to become: Children who got hypnotized to not act their age and act like adults, but should not grow up to become heartless, cuss-swilling thugs of this generation. This is how bad "realistic" shooters and M-rated titles, should they get exposed to it (because ESRB), can corrupt our children.

In terms of shooters, kids should play arcade titles like Galaga, and not corruptive garbage like COD. Or rather, in 2015, kids should rather play Splatoon! It's really the exact polar opposite of COD in terms of graphics, but has one word that COD does not: Fun!
It's supposed to be a joke but it's true
dc79c98d6de1941eb054c693c27b9c85-pokemon-vs-call-of-duty.jpg

Reactions: izzyz
It's supposed to be a joke but it's true
dc79c98d6de1941eb054c693c27b9c85-pokemon-vs-call-of-duty.jpg
Oh I saw that a few times. Sums up the COD audience. But at the very least, Pokemon is for ALL people (and yes, adults are because they love competitive battles, and we all are.), COD should NOT be played by kids!

Reactions: Kaynil and Mikaya
Competition isn't the the only reason. A lot of pirating hurt Nintendo on the nds, and the wii. They're still combating pirating. Pirates operate on why buy something when you can get it for free by illegal means. Developers make games for profit and if they're not making anything they're likely to find another company to develop for.

Competition isn't the the only reason. A lot of pirating hurt Nintendo on the nds, and the wii. They're still combating pirating. Pirates operate on why buy something when you can get it for free by illegal means. Developers make games for profit and if they're not making anything they're likely to find another company to develop for.

It has no relation with the WiiU. Of course, the Wii and the DS suffered from piracy (really hard), but it doesn't really affect nor the 3DS, nor the WiiU. As we speak, those are the only next-gen consoles who haven't been hacked to load games yet, and that's good.

Reactions: Mikaya
It has no relation with the WiiU. Of course, the Wii and the DS suffered from piracy (really hard), but it doesn't really affect nor the 3DS, nor the WiiU. As we speak, those are the only next-gen consoles who haven't been hacked to load games yet, and that's good.

It does affect the 3ds and the wiiu because Nintendo is the company that owns those systems. Their past greatly affects their present. Seeing both their systems taken down so easily, developers may want to find another company to make games for. As I've said they're still combating pirating. In August 2013 Nintendo took down a site that was going to release something for the 3ds. Nintendo has a anti-piracy site that shows some information on this. They've had to remain vigilant for these sort of things popping up to protect their systems while they're recovering from the past.

Reactions: Kaynil
It does affect the 3ds and the wiiu because Nintendo is the company that owns those systems. Their past greatly affects their present. Seeing both their systems taken down so easily, developers may want to find another company to make games for. As I've said they're still combating pirating. In August 2013 Nintendo took down a site that was going to release something for the 3ds. Nintendo has a anti-piracy site that shows some information on this. They've had to remain vigilant for these sort of things popping up to protect their systems while they're recovering from the past.

Not really. The only thing they have to do to counter this is just find the exploit and patch it. If you prefer, it's like glitches in games. Nintendo just have to find them and patch them and they're done. And on the other hand, I think that the DS sold many units because of piracy. That's what some sites says. While it hurts software sales, it helps with hardware sales.

As for the WiiU and the 3DS, once again, they're not really affected, for a few reasons:
1) The WiiU's OS =/= Wii's OS as well as the 3DS's OS =/= DSi/DS's OS. Not the same exploits, neither the same uses.
2) Different architecture. Most of the hackers go with Assembler Code when they want to see what's inside of a console.
3) Nintendo improves their security every time. And it's even easier for them to fix these exploits de to the fact the 3DS and the WiiU can be updated anytime.

So, once again, the biggest piracy has to do with WiiU is just boosting the security of the console, and it has no impact otherwise.

Reactions: Mikaya
I need to point out the reasons why the consoles are overall failing to meet their expectation sales, specifically Nintendo. It's because of the mobile industry. I'm not joking.

Most of the fanbase Nintendo built up during the Wii era were mostly compromised of casual players who found in the Wii an interesting social gaming platform to play sport games, dance, race against others using the Wii remote sideways, you name it.

However, the latest trends has indicated that these people now moved onto mobile devices which are being used worldwide nowadays by practically almost everyone. Thus, its gaming ecosystem, despite being sub par in comparison to actually dedicated gaming consoles, is doing way, way better.

Leaving that aside, there are other reasons why gamer enthusiasts do not like Nintendo's consoles that much. Most of those reasons implicate Nintendo's mindset, since everyone already knows they want to cater to the young audience, and other of their business practices such as the region locking, underpowered(?) systems, etc.

The Wii U, specifically, has failed not only due to lack of games in its first year, but also because its main selling point, the gamepad, is not being used to its full potential. Some games outright ignore it, others don't use it too much, you get the drill.
if this doesn't convince you, look at the N3DS. It is being marketed in Japan as a fashion item, much like phones, while catering to more hardcore games by adding more buttons and power. The PS4 was successful despite lacking in the games department, because it was marketed, and it still is, as a fashion item.

Reactions: Mikaya and FLCL
I need to point out the reasons why the consoles are overall failing to meet their expectation sales, specifically Nintendo. It's because of the mobile industry. I'm not joking.
I blame Flappy Bird for that.

Most of the fanbase Nintendo built up during the Wii era were mostly compromised of casual players who found in the Wii an interesting social gaming platform to play sport games, dance, race against others using the Wii remote sideways, you name it.
But there are still awesome titles that arn't just casual games, right? Like Xenoblade Chronicles?

However, the latest trends has indicated that these people now moved onto mobile devices which are being used worldwide nowadays by practically almost everyone. Thus, its gaming ecosystem, despite being sub par in comparison to actually dedicated gaming consoles, is doing way, way better.
Once again, it's Flappy Bird's fault.

Leaving that aside, there are other reasons why gamer enthusiasts do not like Nintendo's consoles that much. Most of those reasons implicate Nintendo's mindset, since everyone already knows they want to cater to the young audience, and other of their business practices such as the region locking, underpowered(?) systems, etc.
Yeah, they may be underpowered, because Xbox and Playstation owners mocks Nintendo consoles for doing so, but they still have fun and epic titles for the systems, despite the limitations.

The Wii U, specifically, has failed not only due to lack of games in its first year, but also because its main selling point, the gamepad, is not being used to its full potential. Some games outright ignore it, others don't use it too much, you get the drill.
if this doesn't convince you, look at the N3DS. It is being marketed in Japan as a fashion item, much like phones, while catering to more hardcore games by adding more buttons and power. The PS4 was successful despite lacking in the games department, because it was marketed, and it still is, as a fashion item.
For the Wii U, what about Off-TV play? There ARE games that uses the Gamepad's touchpad, right?

But there are still awesome titles that arn't just casual games, right? Like Xenoblade Chronicles?
Plenty of them, actually. However, most of the best selling titles of the Wii U were social, fun casual games.
For the Wii U, what about Off-TV play? There ARE games that uses the Gamepad's touchpad, right?
Off-TV play is available for most of the games and while a really good feature of the console, it doesn't really count as clever usage of the Gamepad.
What I mean is, most of the games in the Wii U use the gamepad as a way to store info and huds, rather than actually using it for other purposes. For instance, they could use the gamepad as a camera and do a game similar to Pokemon Snap, or use the gamepad to create crazy paths and armies for the Wiimote players to defeat in another title.
Instead, it becomes a huge honk button in Mario Kart and is used to display the map, which is not useful at all because you're focused on the TV screen most of the time so it's favorable to actually have the map on the corner instead. Other games follow suit, using it for you to touch a couple of controls and that's about it.
It's pretty sad.

Reactions: Kaynil
Back