Mario's old name

• Thread starter Mikaya
  • Start date
Mikaya

Mikaya

úwù
Towns Folk
It was apparently Jumpman. That was a typical name and they obviously couldn't think of anything better. Glad they changed it to Mario - a normal person's name. xD

Mario sounds better, but that explains why his signature move is "jumping" lol

Yeah, I'm glad they changed it to Mario too.

Mario really suits him well. Super Jumpman brothers just sounds, odd.

Imagine if we were getting "New Super Jumpman Bros. U", "Jumpman Superstar Baseball", etc.

It doesn't sound that bad, but there's no personality to it. Thank goodness for "Mario".

yea jumpman is not realy a name but more like super man, or spiderman. i like mario a lot better than jumpman.

His first name could of stayed Jumpman, and we still could of had Mario Bros. Jumpman Mario, I wonder what Luigi's name would of been if they kept Jumpman.

Mario was a name chosen to the same name of various Mexican named but they've taken Mario and Luigi since they are brothers as the same Mexican style name

Mario was a name chosen to the same name of various Mexican named but they've taken Mario and Luigi since they are brothers as the same Mexican style name
where you read that at ? Everywhere I have seen it posted, it said Mario was named after Mario Segale.

Mario and Luigi are Mexican names bro why did you know they've taken one same style name for Luigi

Mario and Luigi are Mexican names bro why did you know they've taken one same style name for Luigi

italian i thought. but maybe i was wrong.

yeah what i mean italian and mexican accent are the same so they are the same style of name

And that wasn't the first name! :O
The origins of Mario is actually Popeye technically talking!

Reactions: 18 and 3dsatackman

yea it is strange how it was popeye than jumpman and now mario. also did you guys know that super mario bros 2 was at first a alladin game and still is in japan.

you got it Erixsan

I found an image for the Japanese version of super Mario bros 2 (us version)
500px-Famicom_disk_system-doki_doki_panic.jpg

Reactions: 3dsatackman
I found an image for the Japanese version of super Mario bros 2 (us version)
500px-Famicom_disk_system-doki_doki_panic.jpg
cool i had not seen that before it is quite simaler
2362271-nes_supermariobros2_jp.jpg

Yeah, I read that in Reader's Digest :D

Apparently Nintendo wanted to make a Popeye video game but couldn't get the licensing (?) for it so they made a Brutus-like character which became Donkey Kong, and Mario came along as Jumpman in the beginning :D

They called him Jumpman so people'd associate him with other successful games like Pacman, but I'm glad they changed his name. :)

Reactions: 3dsatackman
That was the first ever game (Donkey Kong) where you could jump if I'm right. :---P

That was the first ever game (Donkey Kong) where you could jump if I'm right. :---P
Sure but they could've called him Hammerman or Ladderman because he uses hammers and goes up ladders. A basic name like Mario fits him just fine because it fits the sense that he's not a super hero but just a person.

Back