Miiverse might be coming to an end

• Thread starter Marc
  • Start date

How do you feel about the closing of Miiverse?

• It's not fair, Miiverse was too young to die!

• I'll miss it, but I totally understand why it's ending.

• Meh, it doesn't really affect me.

• I never used Miiverse. What's a Miiverse?

Results are only viewable after voting.
I used Miiverse on occasion back in the day, usually posting simple drawings, sharing screenshots with clever comments, anwering other players' questions and the like. It was pretty neat, you could meet some cool folks, despite the countless suicidal children, spamming memelords, depressed attention seekers, video chat-craving kids, "ironic" users and players complaining about the aforementioned people. While most content was on the level you expect from a social network mostly populated by children, you could find hidden gems every now and then.

It was an ambitious idea of Nintendo, but I think the idea was doomed from the start, and its shutdown inevitable with how lax moderation was. Innocent users were suspended or banned for flimsy reasons, while troublemakers ran rampant. I remember getting two warnings in a row for telling a teenage girl she wasn't special and better than other girls for being a female playing video games. Apparently that counts as hateful content in the eyes of Miiverse's mods.
Despite being such a mess, I liked the idea, because sometimes you could find amazing art or have great discussions about games. It just didn't work out like intended, but I hope it won't deter Nintendo from ever doing something like Miiverse again. They've seen what works and what doesn't now, and I hope they will put that knowledge to use someday in the future. Done right, I think the concept has potential (whether that is possible or not is another question).

MiiVerse has ended yesterday & you guys are all I have left as a best alternative.

Reactions: Duffy
Miiverse will be dearly missed. Gone, but never forgotten... possibly. I don't know, it was a fun place, but I'm pretty sure most people have forgotten about it by now. Miiverse reminded me of happier days. I remember how I was there when it was dying, posting aggressively on the Luigi community, proclaiming my love for Megurine Luka... even back then, I had an eye for anime girls. Ah, such sweet memories.

Anyone remember Bigley? Let none forget the legendary opus, the mascot of Miiverse. May his legacy live on, even after his origin Ridley arrives in Smash Bros; for Bigley will live on in our hearts long after Smash Bros has faded, for Bigley is forever. He is the light and we are but mere mortals in his eyes.

...I don't think Bigley is trademarked and would count under fair use even if he did appear in a game, even if Nintendo tried to claim he's Ridley or something. At one point, I believe he was already put in a game and that game happened to get its own Miiverse community. This means we could give Bigley his own games franchise if we wanted.

Back