Minecraft coming to the 3ds?!?!?

• Thread starter purrplepigfarm
  • Start date
Not even the Mobile version of the game could work, if you meant the Android/iOS port. Generally, you need something more powerful than a 3DS to make it run, even with all minimal settings. The game eats up 40% of my tablet's CPU (2X1.5GHz CPU), and around 150Mb of RAM; something the 3DS definitely can't afford.

It won't happen. Before the "Yes, but the PS4/PS3/Vita port--" argument, I just want to tell you that this was planned before Microsoft bought the licence, so, I guess they had no choice, and they can't kill it now, unless they really want to see their reputation go deeper.

As for why we won't get it on 3DS nor the WiiU, the reasons are simple:

The 3DS isn't powerful enough to make Minecraft run on it. Of course, Smealum did a Minecraft-like homebrew, but keep in mind that it's a "lightweighted", "watered" version of the game. Plus, even with Monolith-Soft-tastic skills of optimisation, the game is so terribly optimized that it wouldn't even run on the N3DS.

The WiiU could handle it, but for the same reasons, Minecraft devs used the CPU equalizer "Java", and made it so it could run awfully slow, even on quad-core computers. So, the WiiU's tri-core processor won't be enough to make it run at a decent pace.

Microsoft. Now that they bought the licence, I hope you don't expect them to port the game on the concurrence's platform right ? The best they'll do is what they did with Rare. They'll probably do a batch of games/update about it, and slowly let it die, without even a single word about it.

I don't know half the things you said, but about the 3ds not being able to handle the mobile version of Minecraft - that's the same as saying that mobile devises can't run the pc or Xbox version. If they are going to make Minecraft for the 3ds or the wii u, then they are going to make game versions for the 3ds and the Wii u. It's like making Minecraft all over again, except for the fact that they make it compatible and usable for the 3ds or Wii u (smaller maps, etcetera). As for Microsoft letting it die, Minecraft isn't going anywhere except up, for a long while.

Ha dang, I didn't know it ate this much... Thanks for the answer!

Tht's a random guy showing something that looks nothing like a clevert port for the 3DS. Why the menu pops on the top screen? You could just use the bottom screen of the 3DS. This looks simply like a random mod and someone trolling the web...

lol, yeah it does. Sorry, wrong video

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know half the things you said, but about the 3ds not being able to handle the mobile version of Minecraft - that's the same as saying that mobile devises can't run the pc or Xbox version. If they are going to make Minecraft for the 3ds or the wii u, then they are going to make game versions for the 3ds and the Wii u. It's like making Minecraft all over again, except for the fact that they make it compatible and usable for the 3ds or Wii u (smaller maps, etcetera). As for Microsoft letting it die, Minecraft isn't going anywhere except up, for a long while.

Ok, call me when a smartphone will run a PC/Xbox360/X1/PS3/PS4 game flawlessly. Tip: You have time.
And ahh, the blindness. Don't you know about Banjo-Kazooie ? Rare doesn't ring a bell ?
And if it's to have 10fps ports of Minecraft, who doesn't even manage to run correctly even on today's computers, I think it'd be better to have nothing. Powerpoint-games sucks (if you get what I mean). The day where Mojang or Microsoft will be able to optimize their games correctly, then, send me a message as well. Ok, Microsoft might be able to (they have the cash), but Mojang sounds like a nope.

lol, yeah it does. Sorry, wrong video

Do you have the right one? ^^

Ok, call me when a smartphone will run a PC/Xbox360/X1/PS3/PS4 game flawlessly. Tip: You have time.
And ahh, the blindness. Don't you know about Banjo-Kazooie ? Rare doesn't ring a bell ?
And if it's to have 10fps ports of Minecraft, who doesn't even manage to run correctly even on today's computers, I think it'd be better to have nothing. Powerpoint-games sucks (if you get what I mean). The day where Mojang or Microsoft will be able to optimize their games correctly, then, send me a message as well. Ok, Microsoft might be able to (they have the cash), but Mojang sounds like a nope.
I'm starting to get the idea that you don't know what you are taking about or have been mislead. but hey, whatever. This is a page giving one idea and welcoming others to give their ideas, not to impose them. Sarcasm and smart talk are not welcome here, so if you have nothing helpful or worthwhile to say, please don't say it.

Do you have the right one? ^^
not currently, but I will get back to you if I do find it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm starting to get the idea that you don't know what you are taking about or have been mislead. but hey, whatever. This is a page giving one idea and welcoming others to give their ideas, not to impose them. Sarcasm and smart talk are not welcome here, so if you have nothing helpful or worthwhile to say, please don't say it.

not currently, but I will get back to you if I do find it.

I know what I'm talking about, I'm working hard to become a game programmer, so I know what I'm talking about. But if you just can't stand that I'm telling something true, well, I think it'd be better for both of us to stop right here. Also, I wasn't planning to be mean or anything. Now, bye.

I agree with DarkDragon on most points. Minecraft is a stupid cubic game that could run on any device (a clone of it, crafti, runs on the CX CAS calculator so why not the 3DS ?) if it was optimized and written in a language which purpose isn't readability but speed, like C. But it's written in Java so it actually uses 25 times the resources it needs to run and will never run on the 3DS as it is right now.

If you want to do some experimentation, buy a powerless netbook and install Minecraft on it. You'll get lag. Then install Minetest, a clone of Minecraft with less features, yeah, but most of all made in C. You'll get absolutely no lag. Because Java. And I did that experimentation on my powerless netbook.

As a consequence, we can get Minecraft clones on the 3DS but not the real Minecraft. And even if one of those clones was made by Mojang themselves and called Minecraft 3DS, it would not have all the features the real Minecraft has because porting the main engine to an appropriate language and optimizing it would already need a lot of work so they'll probably get lazy before adding all existing features.

Reactions: purrplepigfarm and D4rkDragon
I agree with DarkDragon on most points. Minecraft is a stupid cubic game that could run on any device (a clone of it, crafti, runs on the CX CAS calculator so why not the 3DS ?) if it was optimized and written in a language which purpose isn't readability but speed, like C. But it's written in Java so it actually uses 25 times the resources it needs to run and will never run on the 3DS as it is right now.

If you want to do some experimentation, buy a powerless netbook and install Minecraft on it. You'll get lag. Then install Minetest, a clone of Minecraft with less features, yeah, but most of all made in C. You'll get absolutely no lag. Because Java. And I did that experimentation on my powerless netbook.

As a consequence, we can get Minecraft clones on the 3DS but not the real Minecraft. And even if one of those clones was made by Mojang themselves and called Minecraft 3DS, it would not have all the features the real Minecraft has because porting the main engine to an appropriate language and optimizing it would already need a lot of work so they'll probably get lazy before adding all existing features.
Very good point. Thank you for making it clear and easy to understand. If they did make a resent Minecraft 3ds version it would lag horribly- possibly unable to play. However, if they used the old beta versions (the first Minecraft versions ever created) perhaps it would work? but that would leave the game without things from enchantment tables to cows dropping beef when killed. The 3ds may be skipped altogether, but hopefully future handhelds will be able to run it.

Forget about 3DS, the real question is... Why is it not on Wii U?

Forget about 3DS, the real question is... Why is it not on Wii U?

They will if they can, but right now Mojang is extremely busy working on patching and updating the new Xbox 1 and ps4 versions, and also I believe they are updating the pc version.

They're also working on Scrolls now too

If it comes for 3ds I would literally beg my mom ten million times to get this game. Most of my friends play minecraft on their phones or tablets. I've played the demo and it was amazing. I think the 3ds version will be easier because of the dear old trusty stylus.

Minecraft would be good for the 3ds but you would need another circle pad. So you could only play it on the new 3ds or with the circle pad pro for good controls. I would play Minecraft more if I had it on my 3ds. I don't play it that much on the computer.

Minecraft would be good for the 3ds but you would need another circle pad. So you could only play it on the new 3ds or with the circle pad pro for good controls.

good point

I got the pc and xbox version would like to add this to my collection!

It would actually be pretty great if Minecraft comes to the ds even thought I have it on every other device, but I think the controls on the ds will make Minecraft a fun experience ^.^

It might be a really light version if it is coming to the 3ds bcz even my <censored> Intel HD2000 can't handle Minecraft at the lowest.

I don't think so. Now Minecraft is from Microsoft, I think it's difficult now to have a Minecraft game for the Nintendo videogames, probably we never will see Minecraft for 3DS, it's a nice idea but it's hard to happen. I love Minecraft and I would love to play it on my 3DS, but it's really difficult to happen, it should be very nice to play on a New 3DS. Maybe in the future we can see Minecraft for 3DS but for now, it's won't happen.

Minecraft would be good for the 3ds but you would need another circle pad. So you could only play it on the new 3ds or with the circle pad pro for good controls. I would play Minecraft more if I had it on my 3ds. I don't play it that much on the computer.

What I meant about the other circle pad is so you can move the camera.

I am 80% sure this won't/will happen. Reasons being are A) Microsoft really doesn't do ANY Nintendo games. B) This could be a major money maker for Nintendo. C) It would take a heck of a time getting Minecraft to work on the 3DS. D) The lag would be UNBEARABLE. E) The controls won't be able to be fitted on a 3ds.

Reactions: Robbie
It sure sounds like it may happen for all Minecraft fans out there with a 3ds, 2ds, 3ds xl, and maybe even the Wii U. Nintendo made an open announcement that they would love to bring Minecraft to their consoles. Mojang announced that they would love to make a 3ds version possibly in the future since they are currently very busy with patches and updates for the xbox 1 and ps4 versions.

So let me know if you're exited about it and what you think about it.

Do you think it's real?

Do you think it's fake?

Or do you think I'm a crazy Minecraft freak who just heard things wrong?

Please let me know, and thanks for reading!
April Fools? Even though it wasn't at April 1st but whatever :p That would be awesome though but the control would be to confused and it would be hard to play with the plus thingie and the touch mode on mobile is weird and I like the orignal way better. :(

Back