Nintendo confirms NSwitch won't have physical backwards compatibility with neither Wii U nor 3DS

• Thread starter Blue Knight
  • Start date
Blue Knight

Blue Knight

Water Spirit
Towns Folk
Title.

http://nintendoeverything.com/ninte...bility-for-switch-no-comment-on-mobile-games/

Note, by physical it refers to discs and carts. It likely won't use digital BC either.

In short, hold on to your Wii Us and 3DSes and/or purhase one while you can, you won't play your Wii U nor 3DS games here.

I am personally quite happy with this development, it won't get dragged down with old hardware, there's absolutely no need for BC on a completely new console, so yay o/

Personally, I'm a bit disappointed by the news, but then, Nintendo Switch seems to be far more advanced than 3DS and Wii U combined judging by the first trailer, so it's understandable.

Reactions: Jisenku
Personally, I'm a bit disappointed by the news, but then, Nintendo Switch seems to be far more advanced than 3DS and Wii U combined judging by the first trailer, so it's understandable.
It will make some people disappointed, yes, but they want this to fly off the shelves, and consoles don't fly off the shelves by being able to play games from an older console so :/

That's a neat plan from a business perspective. It's basically Nintendo's open source beta.

I wasn't expecting it anyway :p

I wonder who was the one telling me to wait to see what the "NX" would have before deciding on a N3DS? Hmm? :3

I wonder who was the one telling me to wait to see what the "NX" would have before deciding on a N3DS? Hmm? :3
More like skipping the N3DS because you had a perfectly fine O3DS :p (RIP charger and buttons now) and getting a Wii U xD

More like skipping the N3DS because you had a perfectly fine O3DS :p (RIP charger and buttons now) and getting a Wii U xD
Conformism!

Doesn't sound like the worst thing to happen, either way, they will probably just port some Wii U games to Switch and I can buy those instead. The prices of those games will probably be similar to the Wii U versions too, especially if some of the Wii U games are old (and especially if we somehow get something like LEGO City Undercover for Switch, that would be pretty awesome).

Conformism!
SHOTS FIRED! That aside, I was hoping for BC so I could finally play Skyward Sword and Twilight Princess.

Reactions: Blue Knight
I am personally a bit glad about this, as then the WiiU and 3DS will still get buyers to play the specific games on those systems.

If there's money under the table Marc I swear I'm getting a one billionth % yen royalty.

Backwards compatibility would have been nice imo, but mostly because I don't have a Wii U. :p But its okay if we don't get it as long as we have some really good new games :D

Reactions: Starry Windy and Pandaxclone2
Well it's a little saddening that I can't play my older games on the go in this Switch fashion. But if they're exploring new avenues I can live with it. (I though I heard they were gonna co-opp with Nividia for graphics.)

Reactions: Jisenku
Does not being able to read the 3DS carts = not being compatible with the cart port? That's some odd wording there...

Maybe by the next console they'll bring out a 3DS and Wii U Virtual Console so that people will buy games they already own a second time.

The Wii U will go down in price quite fast now, it will be easy to grab one once the Switch is out. I'm happy they are dropping BC on this one and they are moving on. I'm ok with VC though.

Reactions: Blue Knight
Rip 3DS + Wii U BC, you are probably gonna be there in the form of VC now...

Does not being able to read the 3DS carts = not being compatible with the cart port? That's some odd wording there...
As in, it won't be capable of reading 3DS carts. Whether or not it's capable of digital BC (playing digital copies of games) is very unlikely.

Rip 3DS + Wii U BC, you are probably gonna be there in the form of VC now...
I doubt it has the power to emulate Wii U, haha. 3DS emulation might be possible though, but even more unlikely since 3DS is still selling.

It seems pretty likely they'll go the XBone/PS4 way and make remakes/enhanced versions of certain ultra popular games (Smash comes to mind). It's a cheap and easy way to make money, and something they've already been doing with the WiiU fir awhile.

Back