Nintendo confirms NSwitch won't have physical backwards compatibility with neither Wii U nor 3DS

• Thread starter Blue Knight
  • Start date
As in, it won't be capable of reading 3DS carts. Whether or not it's capable of digital BC (playing digital copies of games) is very unlikely.

You misunderstood my post. :p

Does not being able to read the 3DS carts = not being compatible with the cart port? That's some odd wording there...

As in, actually putting the cart in there.

Huh, that's interesting. Guess It's fine though, I'll just hold onto our Wii U, ( Wasn't planning on selling it anyway )

Reactions: Blue Knight
I was expecting it to be BC but I'm glad it wasn't. I can't imagine myself playing Pokemon on the Switch.

I think it would be awesome for wii u owners to be able to get their digital purchases on the new nintendo switch console, because we have already purchased the game and honestly I am not sure If I will be purchasing a re-edition of mario kart just for the sake of playing as king boo. To me, I would be great that those wii u users who have some wii u digital games were able to get them for free in the nintendo switch.

It was kind of clear that the Wii U wasn't getting it, since there is no CD port on it. The 3ds couldn't get it because there was no dual screen (The portable unit needs to stand on the console). Even if it did, it would feel uncomfortable.

If Nintendo would have somehow put backward compatibility, it would add on to what might be an already immense price.

Meh can do without, I still have my 3DS.

Back