Nintendo is considering a successor to the 3DS

• Thread starter Marc
  • Start date
Marc

Marc

"Marc's the sugar daddy of gaming" - Artisan 2020
Forum Management
Looks like the Switch might get a friend :eek:

According to Nintendo Everything, Nintendo is considering a successor for the Nintendo 3DS.

I'll just snip an important piece of the info:
Furukawa also commented on a possible successor, saying that Nintendo is “considering various possibilities.” However, the statement alone doesn’t make it clear how serious the company is when it comes to exploring a new dedicated portable device that follows in 3DS’ footsteps.
Source: https://nintendoeverything.com/new-...ring-various-possibilities-for-3ds-successor/

I believe we will see a successor to the 3DS. I just hope it gets a lot of games.

What do you guys/gals think?

Reactions: Samster
as far i know the article is badly translated ( I know that from a spanish website where they put the same article but some commentaries said that)

in reality , what they want is how to reach to the 3ds players so that they get the switch

also ,they said that the switch is big and "less portable" than 3ds

maybe they are studing the possibility to do something like 2ds , but in switch, a more cheap version but withouth things that some people either dont care or they are indiferent and only want to play the games

and to make a more cheap version their most possible options can be:
-remove the tv option: there are people where their family tend to take the TV always for themselves and the tv option can be potencially useless for them
-make it smaller so that it can be "more portable" and not so big, and also spend less making each one since being smaller they can use less material for each one

Reactions: Marc
If there is anything to do with the 3DS or anything like it coming out, NINTENDO SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY!!!

If there is anything to do with the 3DS or anything like it coming out, NINTENDO SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY!!!
I think a different console would ruin the pourpose of nintendo switch, switch its already both portable and home console, nintendo is smart and doing another console would be competing against itself

Reactions: Samster
I think a different console would ruin the pourpose of nintendo switch, switch its already both portable and home console, nintendo is smart and doing another console would be competing against itself
Not necessarily. It would actually make them more money, as each of those systems would be different. For example, Nintendo Switch had games like Super Mario Odyssey, Breath of the Wild, ARMS, and others. Now, this new console may have other games that people could not ignore, like a new Zelda or Mario game exclusive to that console. Believe me, Nintendo was rolling in money when they released Super Mario 3D World for Nintendo 3DS. People were buying the console just to play that game.

Not necessarily. It would actually make them more money, as each of those systems would be different. For example, Nintendo Switch had games like Super Mario Odyssey, Breath of the Wild, ARMS, and others. Now, this new console may have other games that people could not ignore, like a new Zelda or Mario game exclusive to that console. Believe me, Nintendo was rolling in money when they released Super Mario 3D World for Nintendo 3DS. People were buying the console just to play that game.
i dont think so, instead, i think making another console when you have another one with the same pourpose of being able to play anywhere would make most players angry, me included

also ¿why is 3ds relevant to say that making a portable console when you have already one for the current console gen is relevant? because 3ds was the only nintendo portable console at that moment

This is the 3ds Succesor ;)

i dont think so, instead, i think making another console when you have another one with the same pourpose of being able to play anywhere would make most players angry, me included

also ¿why is 3ds relevant to say that making a portable console when you have already one for the current console gen is relevant? because 3ds was the only nintendo portable console at that moment
The Switch and 3ds are in 2 different markets. The Switch is a console that has portable cababilities that needs to compete with PS4 and XB1. The 3ds on the other hand, has had little to no competition. Sure, the Vita was it’s competitor for a while but as the Vita sales were always lacking, the 3DS crushed it. Reason to have a system that is as portable as the 3ds is that it’s a market Nintendo dominates with no other competition standing in the way, which means free profits they won’t have to fight for. People for get sometimes that Nintendo is actually a company, and a company’s number 1 goal is to make as much money as they can.

Last edited:
Reactions: SS1o7crazydude
The Switch and 3ds are in 2 different markets.
they are from different gens, in the 3ds gen ,nintendo didnt compete againts itself in the portable console market
also, switch are in 2 markts, both home console and the like the 3ds, in the portable console market, the market that 3ds covered is already covered

The Switch is a console that has portable cababilities that needs to compete with PS4 and XB1. The 3ds on the other hand, has had little to no competition.

so?
switch is both things, it cannot be catalogued as exclusively home console

Reason to have a system that is as portable as the 3ds is that it’s a market Nintendo dominates with no other competition standing in the way, which means free profits they won’t have to fight for.

or maybe third partys wont make games or ports because switch would be still a more capacity to run games ,wich can make players see that there are few games, intendo wouldnt get very much money

also switch doesnt have any competition in being both home console and portable, having ports from other consoles doesnt change that, specially because most players can see they can play for example... fifa and say they want the switch because that way they can play fifa aniwhere,both in tv or outside their homes

its not neccesary to make another thing apart from swtich to have a "more portable "console, as i said before, they can simply make a smaller switch, and call it switch mini or something like that

People for get sometimes that Nintendo is actually a company, and a company’s number 1 goal is to make as much money as they can.

and making another different portable console with different games is a notorius risk because switch is already portable,and it already have a huge number of owners so it would be more wise to be safe and make games for the switch since there are no reason to make another console when they have already done both in one

One big reason switch is not a primarily portable system is its battery life. I think 3ds lasts twice as long

One big reason switch is not a primarily portable system is its battery life. I think 3ds lasts twice as long
not in the 3ds first model

also obviusly a console that moves games that needs better hardware its gonna consume more battery, but thats a thing of the battery, not the entire console

True, but no 3ds system dips down to 2.5 hours of battery like the switch does with intense games

True, but no 3ds system dips down to 2.5 hours of battery like the switch does with intense games
well, im sure that I have played intense games in portable mode more time than that without charging again

Not the point, its that it can happen.

Not the point, its that it can happen.
and? that still doesnt mean is less of a portable console

like i said , is a thing of the battery itself, not the console

and the battery can be changed, sure, you will have need to not be too careless so that you break the console or leave that to someone to know to do it safely

The battery for the switch is most likely bigger than the 3ds battery, but has less battery life than 3ds because the system requires more from it.

Anyway, the point is a new system with a very long lasting battery would be a very good thing for Nintendo to make, because it might be possible with less than console specs. Sure, its graphics may be worse than the switch, but its battery lasts much longer and it can actually fit in your pocket easily without cargo pants.

The battery for the switch is most likely bigger than the 3ds battery, but has less battery life than 3ds because the system requires more from it.

Anyway, the point is a new system with a very long lasting battery would be a very good thing for Nintendo to make, because it might be possible with less than console specs. Sure, its graphics may be worse than the switch, but its battery lasts much longer and it can actually fit in your pocket easily without cargo pants.
but why making a new system only because of the battery? simply a better battery can make that possible, its not necesary to make another system,even less if the reason is "more battery life"

they are from different gens, in the 3ds gen ,nintendo didnt compete againts itself in the portable console marketalso, switch are in 2 markts, both home console and the like the 3ds, in the portable console market, the market that 3ds covered is already covered
So much wrong with this one sentence... yes, the 3ds and Switch were released in VASTLY different time periods but let me ask you this, did the 3ds compete with the PS3 and 360 on it’s release? No because they are apart of 2 different markets. The Switch has no choice but to compete with the PS4 and XB1 because it is a part of the home console market, reguardless of it’s portable cababilities. Another thing I disagree with here is that the Switch is not in 2 markets. Again, it is a console with portable capabilities as its appeal (but I guess it’s still debatable). PS4 and XB1 have other methods of appeal that make them unique in the market. Switch is no different.

We could go and argue which market the switch belongs in for a long time but the answer to that won’t change the fact that the Switch is only moonlighting as a portable console, and portably, it has notable weaknesses such as poor battery life and unable to fit easily in someone’s pocket. The 3ds is soley portable and is meant to be that way. A succesor to the 3ds (If we get one) would have better portable capabilities than the switch, such as being able to fit easily in pockets, have better battery life and be meant to be played portably. The Switch couldn’t deliver in this cause they needed to make sacrifices in order to market it’s home console capabilities and make sure it can compete with Sony and Microsoft’s offerings, allowing it to fight less for 3rd Party support and more of what makes it unique in the market.

The entire backbone of your argument is your belief that the switch can do what the 3ds could. The one thing that’s defeats that is the 3ds does have somethings that the switch doesn’t have, and one them definitely being affordability, making it very easy to market to younger audiences, unlike the switch with it’s bigger price point. A 3ds game’s average retail price ($39.99 USD) is cheaper than the Switch’s average retail price for games (being $59.99 USD), again, making it easier to market to younger audiences.

Now, to conclude my argument, the 3ds and all of it’s portable brethren were made soley to be used portably, and are made to reflect that. The Switch, was made to do both. The Switch can’t do both perfectly because it needed to be able to be sold at an affordable price. The 3ds wouldn’t be a watered down Nintendo switch, but rather, be a vast improvement on the switch’s portably aspect.

Reactions: luigiFTW
So much wrong with this one sentence... yes, the 3ds and Switch were released

The entire backbone of your argument is your belief that the switch can do what the 3ds could. The one thing that’s defeats that is the 3ds does have somethings that the switch doesn’t have, and one them definitely being affordability, making it very easy to market to younger audiences, unlike the switch with it’s bigger price point. A 3ds game’s average retail price ($39.99 USD) is cheaper than the Switch’s average retail price for games (being $59.99 USD), again, making it easier to market to younger audiences.
because 3ds is a older console , and therefore people expects it to be cheaper
when 3ds was released , the console and the games were more expensive ,true, after one year the console got cheaper, but the games not so much

also, for the other things i am feeling that we are looping into saying the same thing over and over, so on my part, im not instered in talking about that anymore

because 3ds is a older console , and therefore people expects it to be cheaper
when 3ds was released , the console and the games were more expensive ,true, after one year the console got cheaper, but the games not so much
This isn’t even a viable argument... reason the 3ds is cheaper is not cause of the time difference in their release, but the hardware the 3ds has is cheaper than that of the Switch, which I guess I have to say it again, because the switch needed to be more powerful in order to compete with the PS4/XB1, obviously increasing it’s unit price. The 3ds doesn’t need to fight for power because power isn’t the most important thing in a portable console, as seen in the vita, which did the opposite and failed for it. The 3ds (and it’s possible successor) needs to be easily portable, something the switch can’t do as well as Nintendo’s other portable systems. And even on year 1 for the 3ds, it’s price never exceeded or equaled to that of the WiiU and Switch’s MSRP.

As for you not being interested to talk anymore, I’ll respect that and end my argument here.

I'm pretty sure they have blue prints and test models for a 3DS successor, but they are probably weighing the options for actually going through with it or not. They done similar things in the past with the GBA. I personally don't think they are leaning to make a 3DS successor since we are seeing Pokemon come to the Switch. Gamefreak has always wanted that to stay on a handheld system. I know the Switch is considered to be both a handheld and a home system , but to me it screams handheld first since the handheld part is the actual system.

I can see Nintendo trying to make a cheaper model of the Switch rather than a 3DS successor, but they are crazy and can straight up prove me wrong. Again I don't think we will see a cheaper model of the Switch any time soon , which is why we are seeing 2019 3DS titles. It's gonna be a while before we see some cheaper Switches.

Back