Nintendo is considering a successor to the 3DS

• Thread starter Marc
  • Start date
Considering different possibilities... Isn't really helpful. I think a successor to the 3ds really depends on how much Nintendo wants to take things toward the mobile app direction

I don't think Nintendo is going to release a handheld anytime soon. They just brought out Switch and any other handheld right now would mean Switch gets put on the back. So, they are going to milk the Switch for as long as they can and after that maybe we get the handheld we want.

I really enjoyed the 3DS and I wouldn't mind seeing what they come with as far as another handheld. I think Nintendo leads the market in "handhelds". I know Sony has made a couple of handhelds but that doesn't seem to be their focus at all. Microsoft hasn't even bothered to get into the handheld market.

I would be curious to see what else Nintendo comes up with as far as a handheld but I think that may be a ways off because I think they are still trying to push the Switch.

Reactions: Jisenku
@Maddie lol I'm pretty sure the "3ds successor" is already out. It's called the switch lite.

Yeah, like Whovian mentioned above, I think we got our 3ds "sucessor". The 3ds has died and I don't think Nintendo plans on doing anything related to it, especially due to the switch's success. They likely had an idea in mind but scrapped it since they wanted all of the money to go into the Switch and its games, and not be split up, so they don't have to prioritize one console over the other when it comes to game releases.

Nintendo will just cannabalize sales of both the switch portable and the new system if they release a 3ds successor.

The switch lite already fulfills the purpose of the 3ds.

The Switch Lite was released! I believe that it is the console that you are referring to when you say “the successor of the 3DS” as it is also a portable console. It comes in three different colours—yellow, grey and blue. It’s similar to the original Nintendo switch expect it’s a bit smaller. It does not come with detachable joy-cons. Here is a photo of the new console:
1572007638305.jpeg

The Switch Lite was released! I believe that it is the console that you are referring to when you say “the successor of the 3DS” as it is also a portable console. It comes in three different colours—yellow, grey and blue. It’s similar to the original Nintendo switch expect it’s a bit smaller. It does not come with detachable joy-cons. Here is a photo of the new console:
View attachment 19590

yeah but that sucks lol.

I kinda want something that's backwards compatible tbh. and they could have done that with the switch since it's a cartridge system, but nope.

Reactions: Agentperson
What do you mean by “backwards compatible”?

What do you mean by “backwards compatible”?

Backwards compatible means that's it's compatable with games from older systems

I mean I don't necessarily think that's a bad thing though @Sky . I mean 3ds games were not designed to be played on the home console. A lot of the 3ds games make great or at least decent of them were designed based off the 2 screen idea and/or gyro controls. Hell they would have to redesign all the controls for Kid Icarus Uprising just to play it on the switch. I mean how would you pan the camera? You can pan it with the second stick I suppose but the way the combat works you're gonna want to pan slowly sometimes and pan quicker others so that doesn't really work. I mean I know Kid Icarus Uprising is an extreme example but it still proves my point. I mean the controls of the first person aiming in OOT become substantially better due to the gyro aiming and they would have to take that out to have reverse compatibility. I mean the whole point of reverse compatibility is that it's more games to play on the console that require no work for the company at all. Having reverse compatibility on the 3ds only adds a lot of work for what would probably be not a lot of money.

As for the Wii U you gotta admit that they are making up not having reverse compatibility. Every major game on that console has either gotten a port or a sequel that is considered better than the original. That means that while you may not be able to play mario maker if you have a switch, there's a better version of it you can buy! I see this as a great for nintendo. I mean I think discs are unrealistic to expect out of a handheld. There would have to be a lot of room just for the disk slot itself and that seems like a bad design. So this is a pretty cool way of going about it!

That would be interesting to see... Like a 3DS model with extra bells and whistles? Or new rectangles entirely? micro SD? Backwards-compatibility? New buttons? Curious,,

Really? I would be surprised. I thought the Switch itself was considered the next console for home and handheld since it can be both, though I guess if a successor for the 3DS is a real thing then that would make the Switch a home console.

I'm interested in seeing what they would come up with now. Console making requires a lot of imagination, as shown with the Switch, so any new console that is made that is deserving of being in operation alongside the Switch will be interesting to see.

The original post was before the Switch lite was revealed and ultimately released. The Switch lite IS the 3DS successor.

The original post was before the Switch lite was revealed and ultimately released. The Switch lite IS the 3DS successor.

And yet, I brought a new 3ds xl only last week

And yet, I brought a new 3ds xl only last week

Nothing wrong with that. The 3DS can still sell, but for all intents and purposes the Switch is the successor for both the Wii U and 3DS, and the Switch lite specifically is aimed at the audience that wants the portable-only, cheaper version. 3DS devs are moving on to the Switch and I don't see another portable device being released by Nintendo.

Now introducing the Nintendo Watch.
I don't expect too much from Nintendo at this point to think of it as needing a successor to the 3DS. Handhelds exist. Home consoles are the complete opposite. The Switch can be both so why not make a console that can be neither. One that communicates like a 3DS on the outside but 1 screen and have it strapped to your wrist and have it read Micro SD like cartridges. Have it double as a controller for the Switch but give the games on it interactable between games of the same property. We've seen this at least twice with Nintendo's dongles. You got the N64 Transfer Pak, Pokewalker, Amiibo, Poke Ball Plus. Have it be cheap and appeal to the market of virtual novelties and have it work with all Nintendo apps.

I know upgrades are always better but as an entertainment company that has always never been about power and more about the uniqueness of their product, there's still that retro market. At the very most I expect backwards compatibility with the 3DS.

Now introducing the Nintendo Watch.
Ummm
download (76).jpeg
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I don't think Nintendo will continue the 3DS line, or try to find a successor for it. The Switch will be the main thing that they focus on for now, due to it's great sales and all over great performance in the market.

Back