Nintendo Switch Lite

• Thread starter 28142
  • Start date

Nintendo 3DS Legend
Towns Folk

So nintendo just sneakily dropped this video. Nintendo Switch Lite is a go!

So far the noticable changes are that there's no detachable joy cons, cannot be docked, no kickstand, no IR camera or HD rumble, apparently seems to be no motion controls too?

I'm not sure, I started the video being hopeful, then at the end I'm not just questioning what they where thinking. They stated that a number of games wont be supported, it'll just be games which have a handheld mode. You can connect joy cons to it though, and I presume cases would be made to make it able to go into "tabletop mode" but then the question stands that is it really worth buying this console + the case and joycons when that'll likely come to the same price as a normal switch?

If a game supports Joy-Con functions such as HD rumble, IR Motion Camera and Joy-Con motion sensors, some features will not be available using Nintendo Switch Lite alone. However, Joy-Con controllers (sold separately) can be wirelessly connected to Nintendo Switch Lite to use these features.

Pretty much "if you want to play games with these features, pay us more money"

Reactions: Luna, James, P2.0 and 1 other person
Check out the new handheld guys the Nintendo Switch DS Lite which is related to the DS and the Switch. The plus I can see from this is the plus instead of buttons on the left side and Nintendo can just keep developing games for the Switch and they'll hopefully be compatible with both. I honestly liked the bigger screen to be honest and it might be cheaper to just buy controllers instead of a whole new system, but I never liked how if you leave the screen on the stand everyone is squished around it instead of their own screen and the screen might fall over (when using the asymmetrical stand) on the old Switch so it is better with friends on the go. Kind of a niche thing. I wouldn't mind if there was a 3rd party screen cover for it though since it could fit in your pocket.

> Some people don't really like motion control.
> Some people want a cheaper console.
> Some kids don't get a chance to get the TV because their family hugs it.

This might be perfect for people who don't want to play in docked mode on their TV. I just hope it's A LOT cheaper.

Reactions: Hibiki_Kuze and P2.0
I just hope it's A LOT cheaper.
The price has been confirmed to be $200 in United States, so it's $100 cheaper than the original Switch, at least.

I for one wanted better portability of Switch Lite because it'll be lighter than the original, but knowing that it couldn't connect to TV might make me reconsider on buying it, especially because I already owned my original Switch years ago. Still, I think Switch Lite might be good for anyone who don't mind missing the docked feature, and for those who want Switch that is more portable.

Reactions: Marc
Hrm, no motion controls... So that means in Splatoon 2, I can't hurry and spin around to splat people. :redpanda: And no detachable Joycons, either. But that's fine, cuz some games ( Like Warframe ) you can play while they're attached.

Have to admit, I reeeeeally want to get it. Oof, but that price tag, doe. :x I'm not sure if $200 is gonna fly. Maybe they should lower it to $150? That seems a bit more reasonable imo. Especially if there's gonna be games that you absolutely cannot play on this lite version, due to its limitations. But that's just my two cents. All in all, excited. :3

Reactions: Samster and Starry Windy
Hrm, no motion controls... So that means in Splatoon 2, I can't hurry and spin around to splat people. :redpanda: And no detachable Joycons, either. But that's fine, cuz some games ( Like Warframe ) you can play while they're attached.
A lot of people don't understand how people use motion controls in Splatoon 2. Tbh, I use a mixture.

Reactions: Samster, Luna and P2.0
A lot of people don't understand how people use motion controls in Splatoon 2. Tbh, I use a mixture.
I've played Splatoon with my wired controller once. It doesn't feel too bad, just different. \o/ I think I could make it work if I was thrown into battle, y'know?

Reactions: Samster
RIP 3DS, you've had a good run
That grey Lite looks aesthetic af, wouldn't mind playing that on my way to class. Now I'm curious about the possibility of a "Switch Pro" next year, especially with that WSJ being partially correct.

> Some people don't really like motion control.
> Some people want a cheaper console.

This might be perfect for people who don't want to play in docked mode on their TV. I just hope it's A LOT cheaper.

I don't ever connect my switch to the TV cause I can't. I really wouldn't mind having a handheld switch. But I wouldn't want to be buying this, then being forced to buy a pair of joycons because I want to play SMO or splat2. And buying the lite + a pair of joycons is pretty much the price of a second hand regular switch anyway. As someone who wants to speedrun SMO, the lite just wouldn't be possible to use *without* those extra joycons.

Random thoughts time thingy yay #1 time to get some play coins

There hasn't been a confirmed price yet in the UK but it's most likely gonna be £179.99
I wonder if they're gonna do a £30 eShop card bundle for the Lite :redpanda:
There's a Pokemon Zacian and Zamazenta design now, so they're probably gonna do more Lite designs soon
I don't mind HD Rumble and IR Motion being removed
WHERE'S THE RED COLOR :cry:
I might have to stick with either Turquoise or Pokemon design
September? Meh.
Fingers crossed they do Nintendo Selects for Switch
4 hours battery life ain't that bad for BoTW

That's all for now, folks

Last edited:
Reactions: Luna
because I want to play SMO or splat2.
Can't comment on single player besides the Octo Expansion DLC, but you don't need motion control for Splatoon 2.

Can't comment on single player besides the Octo Expansion DLC, but you don't need motion control for Splatoon 2.
You don't need motion controls for SMO either unless, you know, speedrunning

You don't need motion controls for SMO either unless, you know, speedrunning

You DO however need the HD rumble for the rumble moons. That one isn't quite needed for speedrunning since well..you should already have the locations memorised, but it is needed for casual runs.

And yeah, the motion controls are 100% needed for runs. It's just, SO much easier and the fact you need to use the "throw up" command, which you can't do in handheld (with the limited motion controls).

I can't play splat without motion controls xP

Reactions: Marc
I have several questions.

1.The Switch is portable. Why can't they (the some kids that can't play on TV Mode) just use it as a handheld?
2.Does anyone watch TV anymore? (Netflix and similar services don't count)
3.Doesn't the kids get TV time or atleast Youtube (Kids) access?
4.(Off-Topic) Wouldn't they (The family of those kids) already have a Switch or another console of some sort?

1.The Switch is portable. Why can't they (the some kids that can't play on TV Mode) just use it as a handheld?
2.Does anyone watch TV anymore?
4.(Off-Topic) Wouldn't they (The family of those kids) already have a Switch or another console of some sort?

I aint a kid, but I don't get access to the TV in the living room, and the TV I have in my room is a 32" CRT which the switch isn't compatable with.

EDIT: I say I don't get access to it, I mean like, I can't use it for my switch, I can only use it when my parents are using it as well to watch TV.

Last edited:
2.Does anyone watch TV anymore?
1. You can play on handheld but the point I was trying to make was the "need" for a TV.
2. People still watch TV in 2019.
3. "TV time" probably depends on the family.
4. Not really sure how to answer that because it confuses me :unsure:

Back