Nintendo Switch Online Service Price

• Thread starter Marc
  • Start date
Marc

Marc

"Marc's the sugar daddy of gaming" - Artisan 2020
Forum Management
According to the Nintendo Switch presentation, we're going to have to pay a fee to use the console's online service features. That most likely means we'll need to pay a pretty penny to play online with friends or randoms.

How much do you think someone will have to pay to access this feature that was once free from previous consoles?

Update: The prices for online have been revealed :

7nh9otg.png

Online will be free until 2018.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gamer4647
hmm jest guessing 5.00 a month for subscription basted or 20$ for 1 time payment becase of the prob the sitches popularity

I'm hoping it's minimal like buying premium for Crunchyroll. Just seven dollars (more or less) can get you add free watchtime for a whole month. (and maybe some other stuff too.)

Maybe browsing through a web browser is free, but with the cost of 8.99$ you can play online, and get coins for your my Nintendo account. (if you have one that is.)

I was planning on buying a switch, but when they announced this i changed my mind. If I'm going to buy your expensive new system, and an expensive new game, I should get to enjoy the full game for free. If i get a multiplayer focused game like Splatoon 2, I don't want to have to pay even more money to get what i already paid for.

On the other side though, if you are paying for it, it should hopefully be worth the money. It also should help cut down on online troll and kids who don't even know how to play.

I was planning on buying a switch, but when they announced this i changed my mind. If I'm going to buy your expensive new system, and an expensive new game, I should get to enjoy the full game for free. If i get a multiplayer focused game like Splatoon 2, I don't want to have to pay even more money to get what i already paid for.

On the other side though, if you are paying for it, it should hopefully be worth the money. It also should help cut down on online troll and kids who don't even know how to play.

note. it comes with voice chat and a free nes game eavry month

note. it comes with voice chat and a free nes game eavry month

Said NES game is yours for a month by which point they expire. The one aspect of paid online services that gives some incentive to pay is really just renting games out to you. >.>

I don't particularly care.

Sony and Microsoft do it, no one complains, why is it bad if Nintendo do it? Furthermore, the fees are most likely going to be used for better online services, that doesn't come cheap.

It's kind of annoyed to see them get this double standard, really. Just like with the Switch lineup being "full of ports", when companies like Activision, EA and Ubisoft make yearly rehashes of their games with minimal alterations at full price, lmao.

Reactions: 423
@WellExcuseMePrincess: Froyo I said the same thing earlier on the SB. (All I got were weird looks and rolling eyes.) Why complain about something no one else is complaining about. I heard someone say that there were complaints when Sony started charging, but I never stuck with Sony post PS2. (couldn't afford it.)

I just hope if there is a charge, then let it be cheap. (for me anyway.)

Reactions: Blue Knight
At first i thought that was an horrible step but now that i think of it , this could help to Nintendo to have better online services!

No more than 60 bucks per year, I'm hoping. The 'pay to play' won't be set up until fall, so this kinda gives cheapskates a chance to try the online out and see for themselves if it's worth paying for (instead of jumping the gun, lel).

I'm hoping $30-50 a year I'm not to worried about it as it will probably have a much better online service

NOPE YOUR way off Nintendo said to some one that the price is 2000 yen and 3000yen a year. so 14 to 20 dollors a year

$40 AUD here so it's not that far off.

I'm hoping $30-50 a year I'm not to worried about it as it will probably have a much better online service
They said at minimum $15 a year and at maximum $25 a year.

I hope it's just one pretty penny :p

I'd be fine with 15-25. Hope it's nothing too bad, like 40-60 a year

I hope this will be cheap like 20-30$ a year but kinda hate how every console is charging money for us to play online. Even with NES games added as an incentive, won't really be much because I can easily play that on my phone or pc anytime for free. If they added n64 games or a little more high quality ones like xbox and sony do for free on the service, that would help some more people be inclined to buy it.

Considering the fact that it will be a subscription almost everyone will most likely want (I've heard and seen good things on the Switch online features) I feel it won't make a huge difference in my opinion. I feel like it may be somewhat lenient as time goes on and they get enough subscribers in which they may no longer need it they may remove it as time goes on, we won't know until then though, so... I mean one can hope, right? Besides, there is a temporary free trial, NES games as incentives and overall Online game play isn't a necessity for gaming in general it will only be slowed by it so I think we should let things takes their course with the Switch as it still isn't even released yet and we don't know all the details for the future.

Nintendo has terrible online. If its fixed with the money they are earning, a fee is not too much of a problem.

The online isnt going to be a glaring issue when the console comes out. The online will be free for the first few months, Im guessing like a demo of sorts. Again, the fee is probably going to be cheaper than that of Xbox and Playstation, and you can still play most of your games offline, so I feel like its not a huge issue. Also, if we get a Smash Bros, that means that the online wont suck as much...

I use the onlien on my 3ds more, but the online isn't gonna be much of an issue for the first few months of the Switch's lifespan. I'll worry about the online when the Fall comes around. At least the fee is apparently gonna be cheaper than Nintendo's competitors. I feel as though that the Switch's online will be priced jusst right, in my opinion.

Back