'NX Is Not Aiming To Compete Against PS4 On A Power Level’

• Thread starter TheYESDragon
  • Start date
TheYESDragon

TheYESDragon

Find Your Warrior
Towns Folk
http://mynintendonews.com/2015/07/0...ming-to-compete-against-ps4-on-a-power-level/

The NX is definitely not aiming to compete with the likes of PS4 on a power level. Absolutely sure of that now.

All according to Liam Robinson from Unseen64 and apparently these guys have leaked a lot of important things before, very reliable. If so, either NX is handheld or Nintendo are going to be trying something strange. Can't see how anything below PS4-level of power for a console can succeed at this point.

Reactions: Slayerpon Tatsu and Super Smash Jordan
http://mynintendonews.com/2015/07/0...ming-to-compete-against-ps4-on-a-power-level/

All according to Liam Robinson from Unseen64 and apparently these guys have leaked a lot of important things before, very reliable. If so, either NX is handheld or Nintendo are going to be trying something strange. Can't see how anything below PS4-level of power for a console can succeed at this point.

It's not as if Nintendo had the habit of choosing processors with lower frequency and/or with less cores than Sony or Microsoft... Anyway, that point doesn't really matter for now. The critical point is for me: will the chosen processor finally be something else than something completely deprecated ? I mean, if the NX is an handheld, will it be a newer ARM processor that can perform at least like most of today's or released only 2-3 years ago ARM processors, or will they stick with (correct me if I'm wrong) the 3DS's ARM11 kind of processors (ARM11 isn't old, but newer is generally better) ? Or maybe, they'll aim a new kind of processor.

And if that's a console, will they finally drop the more-obsolete-than-your-old-Windows-98-computer PowerPC architecture ?
As for the power, actually, it's possible. It'll just require devs to be better at optimizing code, something that didn't happened since the PS4 and X1 have been released (Since the more power = the less we need to optimize! After all, who cares about 60fps nowadays ? (<- ironic and surely the lazy dev's logic)) :p

So, after all, the conclusion is the same for me: Old Ninty is same Ninty. I just hope they'll learn from their mistakes, but chances are they'll (maybe) finally pull out something third-party and indie devs can work on easily.

Reactions: TheYESDragon
Wow, that's a lot of technical to read. Nice. Although if they have less power, the price will be lower but then again I doubt the big third parties will continue to develop for NX after launch unless sales are fantastic. Either way, PS4 level plus x86 architecture would be great to pull in devs, then it's up to Nintendo's marketing. IMO, marketing should be their #2 priority after getting the hardware up to scratch.

Reactions: D4rkDragon
Rip nintendo

#Nintendead

Reggie Fils-Aime confirmed it was a home console. Or, just maybe, it's a handheld-home console hybrid we'd all expected. Or just this person is underestimating Nintendo in the console wars

Wow, that's a lot of technical to read. Nice. Although if they have less power, the price will be lower but then again I doubt the big third parties will continue to develop for NX after launch unless sales are fantastic. Either way, PS4 level plus x86 architecture would be great to pull in devs, then it's up to Nintendo's marketing. IMO, marketing should be their #2 priority after getting the hardware up to scratch.
Nintendo had a discussion with 3rd parties about the NX and they gave them positive feedback from what I heard

Last edited by a moderator:
Reggie Fils-Aime confirmed it was a home console. Or, just maybe, it's a handheld-home console hybrid we'd all expected. Or just this person is underestimating Nintendo in the console wars

Nintendo had a discussion with 3rd parties about the NX and they gave them positive feedback from what I heard
When did he do that? Last I heard, it was only just announced as a console.

Did that for Wii U too. Heck, EA even announced a partnership.

When did he do that? Last I heard, it was only just announced as a console.

Did that for Wii U too. Heck, EA even announced a partnership.
Do you even like Nintendo?

What kind of question is that? :eek:
I was only curious as to what your response would be. Curious because your points were always against mine.

I was only curious as to what your response would be. Curious because your points were always against mine.
Oh right hehe. Not ALL of my points are against yours (although this one is? oh sheeeeeeeeeet) but after like two years of being a Wii U optimist I just know how badly Wii U is doing and I visit a game sales website a lot but I hope NX does so well it shatters our expectations.

Reactions: Super Smash Jordan
Oh right hehe. Not ALL of my points are against yours (although this one is? oh sheeeeeeeeeet) but after like two years of being a Wii U optimist I just know how badly Wii U is doing and I visit a game sales website a lot but I hope NX does so well it shatters our expectations.
Well then sorry for the negativity, I just hope the NX is better than what this guy thinks the NX will be like if only he predicted games.

@TheYESDragon Just like @Super Smash Jordan said Reggie already confirmed that NX is a home console. Nintendo isn't very good with competing with other systems with power. It will have some kind of "Unique feature" like the Wii. The Wii was underpowered but had a "Unique feature" using motion control and had more sales than PS3 and XBOX 360. I think Nintendo is trying to do that again but with the NX this time.

@TheYESDragon Just like @Super Smash Jordan said Reggie already confirmed that NX is a home console. Nintendo isn't very good with competing with other systems with power. It will have some kind of "Unique feature" like the Wii. The Wii was underpowered but had a "Unique feature" using motion control and had more sales than PS3 and XBOX 360. I think Nintendo is trying to do that again but with the NX this time.
Mmm, cool. Still, I can't see NX working without PS4-level power and x86 architecture plus some sort of unique feature. It'll take a miracle to get it selling more than 50 million even with good marketing and MK9/Smash/Zelda/Metroid/new Mario 3D game at launch unless they get enough 3rd party support and buzz around the console.

NO A HOME CONSOLE! I just bought the Wii U PLEEEEEEAAASE NOOOOOOOO! ALL MY MONEYYY!!!

I absolutely don't care if it's less powerful than a PS4. I have a PC. So if I buy a console, it's not for power, it's for exclusive games.

Consoles should be... well, not PCs, they should run exclusive games optimized to run on one platform instead of trying to win a war they lost to PCs years before they came out, sharing their game libraries with other consoles. Now tell me again. Which console has the most exclusive games ? The PS4 or the Wii U ? Yeah the Wii U. Which console runs at 1080p 60fps ? The "powerful" PS4 or the "deprecated" Wii U ? Yeah, the deprecated Wii U. Not that I care about that (except for really fast paced games like Melee, where you can even see the difference between 50Hz and 60Hz), I have a 3DS too (worst screen resolution ever), but it still shows that power doesn't mean better games.

So yeah, I agree with @D4rkDragon, they'd better not use hardware from the 70s, but still, I'd rather see them use "cheap" hardware than hardware the price of a PC for unoptimized games that I could have run on the PC I already own.

Reactions: D4rkDragon and Super Smash Jordan
NO A HOME CONSOLE! I just bought the Wii U PLEEEEEEAAASE NOOOOOOOO! ALL MY MONEYYY!!!
Don't worry, it's still going to receive support

But the wii was still more powerful than the PS2, gamecube, and xbox original.

Hopefully the console will be good as I know the Wii U has had really bad sales compared to PS4 and Xbox One. Most likely they will reveal it in E3 of 2016.

The NX is definitely not aiming to compete with the likes of PS4 on a power level. Absolutely sure of that now.
That very sentence would already deter many people from buying the NX, sadly. If it's just as powerful as the Wii (Yes - Wii, not Wii U) I'd still buy it; just for the games. Pretty sure Nintendo wouldn't backtrack to 2006 in terms of power, however. xD

I don't think Nintendo wants to compete with other consoles by bringing out the NX, but I think as long as the games are good then I could care less about what the thing has inside it =p

Back