Gen 2 Panda's Pokémon Crystal Let's Play (Screenshot)

• Thread starter Pandaxclone2
  • Start date

Should I choose...

• Chikorita

Votes: 10 23.3%
  • Cyndaquil

Votes: 15 34.9%
  • Totodile

Votes: 18 41.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
You never seem to amaze me on your talents. This is a very good let's play. It's never missing a single detail in the game. Your talking sith everyone and making hilarious jokes at the same time. It's very enjoyable.

Reactions: Pandaxclone2
You never seem to amaze me on your talents.

Were you going for cease? :p

Reactions: 2179 and Pandaxclone2
Lurk...

........0-0 go me

Omg, this is so cool :hilarious:

Keep it up panda :thumbsup:

Just to let everyone know, this update was captured for a good majority in the real gameboy colors. Since it turns out that you guys are fine with the regular color scheme, the next update will go back to that.

Update 4: Sprouts Blossom Forth

IgRaB7t.png
Jlarr2a.png

LuP90mp.png
Ahhhh... That was a really good sleep. Gonna go grab some breakfast.

wRJvfyx.png
zGzFbuL.png

dgwcOLN.png
2hAC5t6.png

LuP90mp.png
What are you talking about, mu- Oh. Right.

ibzh3Qe.gif

LuP90mp.png
Yeah, he is very adorable, isn't he? :cat: I got him at Elm's lab for an errand.

ewGpUCz.png
PYp7V1d.png

eEKHus6.png

LuP90mp.png
You could help by passing me the bread over by the counte-

xV7sUtV.png
Hyrrusc.png

CiyTP3z.png

LuP90mp.png
That's... actually a very good idea. Thanks mum. :cat:

W40Hueu.png
w8yC3dH.png

Aw0ybfS.png
40fonqL.png

LuP90mp.png
Of course. There's no "I" in team after all.

p9LH1bM.png

nzRTy61.png
15ZDQQL.png

LuP90mp.png
Things got really bright all of a sudden... e.e No clouds today, I guess?

bIZsw6W.png
Art by @P2.0

6bxiI27.png
IjEWwBU.png

iHXtij2.png

LuP90mp.png
Literally none. I haven't had any Poké Balls to do so yet.

YZ6Jvdj.png
EtNxcMo.png

LuP90mp.png
No thanks, I know how to catch Pokémon. It's not that hard of a concept to grasp; weaken Pokémon, throw ball at Pokémon, catch Pokémon.

Before I go running to Violet City, there's a small detour I have to make.

5bqx7GE.png

A little bit of walking around in Route 46 and...

jY2U0X8.png
4tJuG17.png

Caught a Geodude which was not what I'm looking for but I'll take it.

wiXSwpL.gif

His animation screams "LET ME IN!"

Ynj51r8.png
Vw7dckT.png

jI2A37C.png

Kudos to @Earth2543 for the nickname.

tJVXlby.png
crDeLCr.png

Caught a wild Phanpy as suggested by @J9794

AZBkvzA.png
KIwaow7.png

dQxoYXA.png

In honor to the late elephant of the last century.

Now, onwards!

vAKHx3k.png

LuP90mp.png
Oh hey, the path's not blocked anymore by those trainers.

1Bn5aMq.png

Encounter! Youngster

LqNtCFb.png
I just lost, so I'm trying to find more Pokémon.

LuP90mp.png
Here's a pro-tip; try walking in tall grass instead of just standing there. You know, the stuff that's right behind me?

LqNtCFb.png
Wait! You look weak! Come on, let's battle!

LuP90mp.png
Weak? Me? You just signed your death warrant, buddy.

TPIFxXg.png

Johto Trainer Battle!

XL2pW84.png
HOHvSkV.png

What kind of LP would this be if I didn't include Youngster Joey and his Rattata?

bRvdmrZ.png
PaTEfjJ.png

PiQms9n.png

LuP90mp.png
You're screwed now. Cocopuff, use Scratch!

bTqgVal.png
YBijIt9.png

Victory! Trainer

LqNtCFb.png
Ack! I've lost again! Doggone it!

Who's ever heard a youngster say "Doggone it"?

VjtdESh.png
f0dtd37.png

Now as a result of letting our mother save some money, each battle I win gives a small share of the prize money to her. It's good to have backup money, but the downside is...

wUBg6Rz.png
7xDR4LV.png

u7xpN3T.png

LuP90mp.png
You're using my hard earned money for shopping?! I should've known your offer was too good to be true. >.<

5iYEK6I.png

LuP90mp.png
Oh, it's for me? Well then, that makes it slightly better. Thank you mom, I guess.

3XBxor6.png

LqNtCFb.png
You're a Pokémon Trainer, right? Then you have to battle!

LuP90mp.png
I've got places to be so it'd be nice if we could wrap this up quickly.

2fsHWZ7.png

LqNtCFb.png
That's strange. I won before.

LuP90mp.png
You're not one of those people who jump timelines and as a result makes remarks like this when you change something that makes an unexpected outcome, are you?

WlcAGFg.png
HEEKGJD.png

Gfgraig.png

LuP90mp.png
That's not entirely true seeing as the second last trainer I fought held me up even though I was just walking by them, not looking at them.

TCGYB2s.png

FZHHAq8.png
Instead of a Pokémon, I found a trainer!

LuP90mp.png
That sounds creepier than you think.

bnKmdSp.png

FZHHAq8.png
Argh! You're too strong!

ooZpdW0.png

LuP90mp.png
Still wanna know what's up with this tree.

KM0vkJx.png
QJtVG5A.png

SedL1tv.png

LuP90mp.png
How original.

iCesFIV.png
bZEAu1l.png

LuP90mp.png
It couldn't possibly be that dar-

0jZcWBi.png

Dark Cave

LuP90mp.png
Okay nevermind it is that dark. I'm outta here.

That item next to the cave was a potion, by the way.

Along the way I encountered:

RR27717.png
UPNysas.png

wqMa6yV.png

This berry cures a Pokémon of confusion state if used or held while inflicted with confusion.

RqAkH2d.png

FZHHAq8.png
I caught a bunch of Pokémon! Let me battle with you!

LuP90mp.png
Sure. Show me what you've got!

ySkRXKQ.png
MaYvBrA.png

05khN9B.png
6akgYjE.png

IvHzl6w.png

FZHHAq8.png
Awwwww...

LuP90mp.png
Okay admittedly when I heard you say "a bunch of Pokémon", I was thinking more of a diverse team than just three Caterpie and a Weedle.

Yy3JOyX.png

LuP90mp.png
Finally! A Poké Ball that works!

T2oy69N.png
oOogS3Y.png

3tAz7ub.png
q1AxtJq.png

Evdebwa.png

LuP90mp.png
Is it a Zubat? Because the only way I can think of finding Pokémon in pitch-black darkness is wandering around a bit and having one of those latch to your face.

G3YFKEd.png
eQ1epJr.png

HNjnM2u.png

LuP90mp.png
You just saw me walk through the entrance gate of this city, and I must be a new face around here seeing as I'm not known to frequently go through here. So I ask you; Do you think I've visited Sprout Tower yet? Anyway that being said I'll give it a look.

Kv1eNhQ.png

Violet City

LuP90mp.png
I've finally made it to Violet City. Now to go to the Pokémon Center and heal up.

j3fUNpx.png

LuP90mp.png
Earth and Topsy are lagging behind, so it's best I get their levels up. I wouldn't want Cocopuff to be the only one pulling the team's weight around.

SSEGJL6.png
nu3bsxC.png

0vAmhld.png
VdTmNzE.png

Jcvrrg9.png

LuP90mp.png
Shouldn't the police have handled it? They couldn't have been that useless, could they?

68T2wM3.png

LuP90mp.png
This shouldn't take too long. I hope.

A few hours later...

eID0r4Y.png

LuP90mp.png
That looks much better. And to top it all off we've got a new addition to the party! :cat:

RKPu7Sx.png
m1E23IA.png

Sorta sounds like a snake except for the "immediately".

Y9bFC2f.png
z6v5pcp.png

LuP90mp.png
So this is Sprout Tower, huh? Guess I'll go inside and have a look.

mHeLX3L.png

Sprout Tower

LuP90mp.png
Very interesting choice of statues.

FJTaSWN.png
1tqnmmJ.png

T0XVmjT.png

Back in the days of my infancy when there wasn't much contact with the internet, this was one of those backstory pieces of the game that made me go around thinking it's possible to fight a 100 ft Bellsprout boss somehow if you woke it up a la the weathervane bird from Legend of Zelda: LttP.

AvcmdUg.png
PVZFl3K.png

wL3qNaD.gif

The pillar here is called a Shinbashira, a pillar that is used in mainly pagodas (of which Sprout Tower is based on) and in more modern high-rise buildings. It is thought to be the larger one of two reasons why such buildings survive earthquakes when other building nearby have fallen, the second being the wide eaves on pagodas (the roofs that slant over the sides) helping to stabilise them even more.

The pillar acts as a giant stationary pendulum that flexes and sways when subject to an earthquake, hitting the sides of the floors to absorb some of their momentum. It's always tied to the top of the pagoda, and is usually either grounded into the foundations or resting atop it, but occasionally can be hanging above the ground, swinging freely.

And in case you're wondering, "How effective is this?", only two japanese pagodas have fallen to earthquakes in recorded history. In fact, Hōryū-ji is the oldest known pagoda tower and one of the world's oldest wooden buildings, being founded in 607 A.D. This is thanks to it's pillar which was from a tree that was felled in 594 A.D.

LuP90mp.png
That can't possibly be safe, right? It looks like the whole place could come down.

NVy2YNC.png
d3doZy3.png

LuP90mp.png
Why Bellsprout though? If you're gonna use a Pokémon as a deity of worship, why not a legendary? Or is there some other meaning I'm not seeing behind this?

r3LWtFi.png
nGXykLd.png

LuP90mp.png
Better be a really good Hidden Machine.

4Hzdepf.png

Encounter! Sage

LuP90mp.png
I'm no optometrist but the fact that it took you until this close to spot me tells me you need glasses.

WLia42t.png
However hard we battle, the tower will stand strong.

zk23OaM.png
F8jWLnp.png

WHmXNsR.png

So as you can probably see, the whole gimmick of this tower is that each and every trainer in here uses a Bellsprout. Unfortunately type advantage dictates that I'm gonna have a bad time what with my whole team being weak against grass types, but luckily for me Cocopuff damn near one-shot kills them anyway.

Ocq19UW.png

WLia42t.png
I fought hard but I'm too weak.

LuP90mp.png
Maybe using something other than just Bellsprout would help?

You get the idea. All of the trainers here until the final floor use the same amount of Bellsprout and same level too. It'd be pretty boring putting all those fights up so instead just imagine Cocopuff using 1-2 scratches to kill them each.

6wBmVbR.png

Floor 3 and we get Paralyze Heal, an item that (surprise surprise) cures Paralysis on a Pokémon.

fPrqO4O.png

WLia42t.png
We stand guard in this tower. Here, we express our gratitude to honor all Pokémon.

SP3OoU9.png
z2Uxi1A.png

WLia42t.png
Th-Thank you!

LuP90mp.png
For what? Beating you in a Pokémon battle? That's an odd thing to thank someone for.

gzo0aTK.png
Cjq5X7q.png

Floor 4 nets us an X-Accuracy, an item that temporarily boosts the accuracy of a Pokémon during battle. I can understand the idea behind these sets of items but I never used them often nor found them useful. Perhaps on a very very odd occasion, but more often than not it's a wasted move in my opinion.

WLia42t.png
Sway like leaves in the wind...

AoFD07B.png

During this fight two things ocurred.

Pta5FnK.png
1q871y9.png

Cocopuff got up to level 13 which by this point means all level 3 Bellsprout were no longer threats as he could just one-shot them, and he learned Water Gun which is neat but not that useful at this time.

MEVVVbZ.png

WLia42t.png
Oh, I'm weak!

LuP90mp.png
Don't beat yourself up too much about it.

eAsXLlO.png

Finally up to the final floor, and over here we have a potion.

WLia42t.png
I train to find enlightenment in Pokémon!

LuP90mp.png
I mean sure, whatever works right? :confused:

QPUe8Qt.png

zVu3EO0.png

Sage Pow's the first Sprout Tower trainer to differ from the rest, at least in terms of level. Cocopuff might be in trouble here...

rFNVzhb.png
8xL1usk.png

:facepalm: Or not.

fgTY1RB.png

WLia42t.png
My training is incomplete.

LuP90mp.png
If it's any consolation you had the type advantage, but try to attack next time.

FxPlsGI.png

WLia42t.png
The elder's Hidden Machine lights even pitch-black darkness.

LuP90mp.png
You don't say? I guess I might try that out on that Dark Cave then.

a0G2TGj.png
5F581CZ.png

Same deal as Sage Pow, except I got hit this time. 10 HP isn't that bad for a super effective Vine Whip I suppose.

WLia42t.png
It is my head that is bright!

LuP90mp.png
:rotfl: You just made my day, sir.

haeNiGD.png

WLia42t.png
Let me see how much you trust your Pokémon.

TsMCH3Y.png
fJH4e4G.png

LuP90mp.png
Is that all you monks have? Please at least use more than one species of Pokémon.

36JwC6Q.png

SO close...

fzh9l4t.png
2e0tivF.png

LuP90mp.png
Ouch, that smarts... >.<

il7YeiQ.png
ZoAnq5C.png

LuP90mp.png
But it won't be enough to keep this Cocopuff down. Use Scratch!

BYkEX9q.png
rImV2oX.png

\ :D /

lGcva0D.png

LuP90mp.png
You actually have a different Pokémon? Pat yourself on the back dude, you broke away from the mold!

Y2VCHPE.png
CFCHMke.png

LqOTnmA.png

LuP90mp.png
And yet, it wasn't enough. :cool:

wBBQvKy.png

WLia42t.png
Yes, your trust is real!

LuP90mp.png
Of course I trust my Pokémon! Who wouldn't?

bPNhGj6.png
Art by @P2.0

LuP90mp.png
Oh. It's him again...

That's it for this update. In the next one we'll conclude the events at Sprout Tower, fight Falkner and maybe check out some other nearby locations.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Starry Windy, SmashChamp, Livada and 2 others
I bet Cristy's mom used money for something else too, always ask for a buy record, kids.

Anyhoo, another awesome update :hilarious: keep it up :thumbsup:

Can't wait for another one :D keep it up :3

Here come Earth the geodude

When you catch a Psyduck, name it "Psydoc" after @Psydoc and when you catch a Growlithe, name it "Cinnamon" after @Cinn :D

Nice going :thumbsup: and keep a record of what your mother purchases xD

When you catch a Psyduck, name it "Psydoc" after @Psydoc and when you catch a Growlithe, name it "Cinnamon" after @Cinn :D

Nice going :thumbsup: and keep a record of what your mother purchases xD
haha good name for a growlithe ^^

Reactions: Robbie and Pandaxclone2
Just a heads up for everyone here, the LP's having an intermission for maybe a fortnight/month and hopefully it'll be back up afterwards.

Last edited:
Reactions: Robbie and Blue Knight
I'll just sign up for comments and stuff. ^~^
Also, isn't there a sudowudo in gen II or was it III? I'll ask first before naming it.

I'll just sign up for comments and stuff. ^~^
Also, isn't there a sudowudo in gen II or was it III? I'll ask first before naming it.

There is indeed a Sudowoodo in both Gen II and III (Only in Emerald however.)

Reactions: MindzEye
Ok! ^~^
I request that you get ahold of one, and if you do it ought be named Willow.

Are u ever going to continue this >.<

Are u ever going to continue this >.<

Yes, I will be continuing this. Things have been... chaotic, to say the least this year. My old laptop was acting up so I had to get this one, then this one wouldn't even let me use certain software to write the updates but I found a way around that. Currently I'm going through some tough times IRL that I'm hoping will wrap up soon. By then I should be able to write some more updates.

...Or, if you truly want the next update then I can post it here now. Truth be told I'd rather wait until I've written some more up before publishing it but if need be I can put that up. >.<)/

Ouch! An entire year has passed by since I last put out an update!? I'm terribly sorry for leaving this Let's Play off for so long. First it was laptop problems preventing me from writing this up, and now it's evolved into a real-life troubles that's been spanning for months since near the end of last year.

I doubt I'll be able to get back into the schedule I used to until I can get out of this nightmare, but I think if anything I at least owe it to you all to put out another update. So without further ado, here it is:

Previously on Pokemon Crystal...

wBBQvKy.png

WLia42t.png
Yes, your trust is real!

LuP90mp.png
Of course I trust my Pokémon! Who wouldn't?

bPNhGj6.png
Art by @P2.0

LuP90mp.png
Oh. It's him again...

Update 5: The Conclusion

sMbMaAG.png
Lets just eavesdrop like a weirdo.

n9JxVwt.png
NmB7IfD.png

WLia42t.png
As promised, here is your Hidden Machine. But let me say this: You should treat your Pokémon better. The way you battle is far too harsh. Pokémon are not tools of war...

y4kG03i.png

That cut right into his soul like a hot knife through butter.

tL6hAml.png
2Zw4Mri.png

LuP90mp.png
After that sick burn I would be speechless too. :p

eznRiw2.png
He claims to be the elder, but he's weak. It stands to reason. I'd never lose to fools who babble about being nice to Pokémon.

LuP90mp.png
You're just confusing "words of wisdom" with weak.

eznRiw2.png
I only care about strong Pokémon that can win. I really couldn't care less about weak Pokémon.

LuP90mp.png
"Strong Pokemon that can win" like that Chikorita I curbstomped?

kaJClZV.png

LuP90mp.png
I'll take that as a "yes" then.

K1YWrwa.png

WLia42t.png
Sprout Tower is a place of training. People and Pokémon test their bonds to build a bright future together. I am the final test. Allow me to check the ties between your Pokémon and you!

ipU3Evb.png

As per the sage tradition here, Sage Li has a Bellsprout too. Highest level one here I might add.

T4pAnUK.png
iDRvcFl.png

Cocopuff is starting to take his toll on the second Bellsprout sent out...

SKSTFSb.png
8AkbLV0.png

...But in the end, the outcome was the same.

A8Xix4V.png
sI0zVHy.png

He's grown yet another level out of it too.

MdOeY6O.png

FCKFy2f.png
A9z44d3.png

And like Sage Troy, Li has a Hoothoot as well. I suppose in-universe wise when you master the Bellsprout you move on to the more advanced Hoothoot?

gEWyZmr.png

LuP90mp.png
Cocopuff is a beast now! :eek:

rbVFdId.png

WLia42t.png
Ah, excellent! You and your Pokemon should have no problem using this move. Take this Flash Hidden Move.

gcvCpr1.png

Back in mah day, the move Flash was a HM. Nothing like the terrible TM version now.

WLia42t.png
Flash illuminates even the darkest of all places. But to use it out of battle, you need the badge from Violet's Gym.

LuP90mp.png
Of course there's a catch. Can't do A without doing B.

p37mzKE.png

Give the place a quick check before I leave:

KMznBS7.png
JbRzbit.png

InYCoBO.png
djbXVge.png

It's nice when they put in inconsequential yet world-building details into these games.

n6FJkzl.png
fciMX9c.png

LuP90mp.png
Thank goodness everything got easy on the eyes again. I guess it's off to the gym now.

Lb66Ylp.png
4ycTRlo.png

mKtVEoK.png
tyOYdlH.png

LuP90mp.png
I thought gyms were property of the league though? And they were just fine with letting someone who they didn't know could run the gym properly do that?

NCbAEXT.png

LuP90mp.png
Bottomless pits? Can I ring up OSHA for a meeting with this place?

tNdzZrU.png

Bh9Klmk.png
Let me see if you are good enough to face Falkner!

QOlj4Qe.png
fsWTuQZ.png

LuP90mp.png
Is that good enough for you?

Bh9Klmk.png
This can't be true!

LuP90mp.png
Oh it's true. Believe it!

L43NC6A.png

Bh9Klmk.png
The keyword is guts! Those here are training night and day to become bird Pokemon masters. Come on!

ZG51hAr.png

FqZkMuL.png
r0OJMxk.png

LuP90mp.png
D'aaaaawwwww it's so adorable! :3 Yet in the span of me saying that, I've already beaten both of your Pokemon at the drop of a hat.

EVfD6wL.png

LuP90mp.png
And got Topsy to grow another level.

Bh9Klmk.png
Gaaah!

ZlCIe2J.png

LuP90mp.png
I take it you are Falkner, then?

z5jOIj2.png
I'm Falkner, the Violet Pokemon Gym Leader! People say you can clip flying-type Pokemon's wings with a jolt of electricity...

LuP90mp.png
That's going to do a lot more than just clip wings. If that ever happens to your Pokemon I hope you're hungry for some well cooked bird.

z5jOIj2.png
I won't allow such insults to bird Pokemon! I'll show you the real power of the magnificent bird Pokemon!

Johto Gym Leader Battle

YijCDiw.png

hCoSdW9.png
3elg4H4.png

7QSfXiW.png

LuP90mp.png
It's Earth's time to shine! Use Rock Throw!

RwDVTGg.png
R1gSWSz.png

LuP90mp.png
Next.

zatzMmD.png
gOS6N7X.png

LuP90mp.png
I'll keep Earth in. He's gonna win this one!

GcQHsEx.png
DtKuBrD.png

lAfSBSG.png

For a super-effective attack, that didn't do a whole lot of damage.

nAZZdN6.png

LuP90mp.png
Come on Earth. I know that Mud Slap may have gotten in your eyes a bit but we gotta get a hit in. So let's try using Rock Throw again!

be5l8U4.png
5kaBxkr.png

LuP90mp.png
Earth... -.-' Third time's the charm.

yDx9sLF.png
G9STW4i.png

Direct hit, captain!

GpwyHan.png
iX4l9xT.png

z5jOIj2.png
...Darn! My dad's cherished bird Pokemon... All right. Take this. It's the official Pokemon League Zephyr Badge.

5raHejT.png

z5jOIj2.png
Zephyr Badge raises the attack power of Pokemon. It also enables Pokemon to use Flash, if they have it, anytime.

LuP90mp.png
I guess I can check out that cave anytime I wanted to now.

z5jOIj2.png
Here; take this too.

EVLGaPp.png

z5jOIj2.png
By using a Technical Machine, a Pokemon will instantly learn a new move. Think before you act; a Technical Machine can be used only once.

You heard that right, Gen V and above Pokemon newcomers: before they were infinitely usable, TMs in Gen IV and prior could only be used once and then they would disappear from your menu. This made the choice of what move to give to which Pokemon all that more crucial and important.

z5jOIj2.png
Technical Machine 31 contains Mud-Slap. It reduces the enemy's accuracy while it causes damage. In other words, it's both defensive and offensive.

LuP90mp.png
I might use it on one of my Pokemon if they can learn it. I'll take my leave now so bye!

xEMwOwP.png
wopvCHE.png

A7wihFZ.png
qyrpiZq.png

GLM5Dii.png
MjEk0ON.png

LuP90mp.png
But can I eat it!?

xbwo9r7.png

LuP90mp.png
Why do you never answer my question? :rage: Fine, I'll go see the assistant.

ek8QjFz.png

VAHAafl.png

LuP90mp.png
Nice to meet you too, assistant #1 who scared the daylights out of me. Twice.

wyxVg2z.png
83dGJT7.png

lM6ikhj.png

Sure, why not?

Uu9csB8.png
7vYKfqu.png

z0YjuZx.png
3dCfzdv.png

qpyFQLi.png

LuP90mp.png
This is where I come in, right?

LLytion.png
2HvODpz.png

KdjkOX9.png
mOlvUAS.png

LuP90mp.png
Fine, but if it doesn't hatch sooner or later I'm going to eat it.

9ddI8Ai.png

I'm going to leave it at that for now. Next time on Christy's adventure, we'll be exploring the Ruins of Alph nearby.

Last edited:
Talk about slow.

Reactions: Starry Windy and Pandaxclone2
Back