Gen 2 Panda's Pokémon Crystal Let's Play (Screenshot)

• Thread starter Pandaxclone2
  • Start date

Should I choose...

• Chikorita

Votes: 10 23.3%
  • Cyndaquil

Votes: 15 34.9%
  • Totodile

Votes: 18 41.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Pandaxclone2

Pandaxclone2

Pokemon Sprite Artist Hobbyist
Towns Folk
Notice: If you see a small string of posts done by myself, those are reserves for the update to come shortly after.

So lately the news is I've broken my 3DS' top screen and I have nothing to do atm. I was playing Pokémon Blue on my VC and got pretty far but now that will have to wait, so in the meantime I'd like to try my hand at something different; a Let's Play! (No points for guessing what it is. :p)

Essentially I'll be playing through Pokémon Crystal and reliving the glory days of Pokémon’s magnum opus of the Gameboy era (GBC for some of you technicals out there.) Some of you may not have even heard of Pokémon Crystal, or at the very least played it. In order to get you up to speed, here's the story;

"The game is set 3 years after the events of Pokémon Red and Blue (or Fire Red and Leaf Green, whichever works) in the new region of Johto. Since then, new species of Pokémon have been discovered and your protagonist, Ethan/Kris meets up with Professor Elm whom after letting you choose your starter, sends you off on an errand to Mr Pokémon after it's been found that he has a new discovery.

After that's taken care of it's up to you to enter the Pokémon League, beat all 8 Gym Leaders and finally the Elite Four to become the Pokémon Champion!"

So yeah, pretty interesting story. Pokémon Crystal (and Gen II in its entirety) is largely regarded as the best Pokémon generation of all Citation needed and it's not hard to see why; it basically expanded upon numerous features that would go on to be used in later games, and it pretty much felt like a large package in a small cart overflowing with lots of new content. Even nowadays you'll likely find people who enjoy playing the remakes of Gen II, Heart Gold and Soul Silver.

Imagine being a child in 1999/2001 and you've already played Pokémon RBY. You think to yourself, "That was the best game I've ever played, there's no way they could top this." then you hear these games came out and gave them a try. At the time it would've blown your little mind. "Woah! 250 Pokémon!? New features and even more moves!? TWO REGIONS?!? What sorcery is this??"

But I digress. Here is a Q&A for some questions that will probably be asked. Please read it before asking:

Q: Hey, you're not allowed to post a Let's Play here! That's advertising!

A: Actually, if it were a video Let's Play that would be true, but this is a screenshot Let's Play. It's exactly what it says on the tin; a Let's Play composed of screenshots from the game. It might not sound interesting, but it has been done frequently on the internet and some of them can actually be quite interesting and informative.

Q: Oh. So, uh... why a Let's Play of Crystal? Why not do a Let's Play of Heart Gold/Soul Silver?

A: Well the answer to that is twofold; firstly, Pokémon Crystal is much less intensive to capture and much easier than Pokémon HGSS, especially with the setup I've got running atm. Secondly, even though I agree that HGSS is a good game, I have a single problem with it: Lyra.

This might come off as just looking a gift horse in the mouth or what have you, but Lyra's presence in HGSS makes no sense to me whatsoever. Pokémon Crystal happened to be the very first Pokémon game to feature the boy/girl choice that would become a staple of the franchise and a meme amongst fans. Kris spearheaded that so by literally just removing her from the remakes was a slap in the face to the boy/girl feature's first usage in the games these remakes were based on.

Q: Wow... Okay, so will you be allowing us to name Pokémon/the Protagonist/the Rival?

A: You will be allowed to do so on all except the Protagonist. Keep in mind however that Pokémon names won't be guaranteed usage if:
  1. The requested name is vulgar or inappropriate.
  2. The Pokemon requested to be named has not been caught yet. In this instance the name will be backlogged for later use in the event it is caught.
  3. There is multiple names requested for a single Pokemon. In the event that this happens, it will be put up to an RNG for choosing.
Should your requested Pokémon and name be used, you'll be tagged right under the screenshot of said Pokémon being named.

Q: Why isn't there an update on this?

A: Initially there will be a gap in time between the poll ending and the Let's Play starting. This is because after the information's been processed the game will be played using that info and then written out and setup.

If this is after that initial start, then most likely I've run out and need to write more updates. Hopefully it doesn't come to that though. UPDATE: Currently I've been facing issues in life since last year August that need to be resolved and I haven't had a chance to catch my breath. I'm nearly done with them and I hope to at least get around to picking this project back up mid-year, if not earlier.

Above you will find a poll on which starter to choose from. In addition to this, you can put down a starter name you want, the protagonist's gender, and the Rival's name. You aren't required to do any of this but it allows the audience to interact too.

Now let's see where this adventure takes us, shall we?

Last edited:
Reactions: FirstSerpent, SmashChamp, Robbie and 7 others
cool
Cyndaquil FTW

Reactions: Pandaxclone2
Cyndaquil I pick the cute little fire type!

Reactions: Pandaxclone2 and 3dsatackman
I only have one REALLY IMPORTANT petition. Grind until you catch a Phanpy on one of the early routes, don't remember exactly what's the number of it but I guess you know what I'm talking about.

Route 27, and I think that's a great idea. Also, I think we should name your rival "Mystic." It'd be great if we gave her no say so in this... The protagonist should be female because that blue hair is fab, and I proprose the nickname "Cocopuff" for your starter...

Reactions: Fantivity, J9794 and Pandaxclone2
Route 27, and I think that's a great idea.

Route 46 in the morning actually. (Assuming you mean Phanpy)

Reactions: J9794
Oh shoot, wait then, where's route 27? I'll have a look at a map, seems my memory is outdated.

Choose chikorita I wanna see your despai
I dunno who you should pick

Choose chikorita I wanna see your despai
I dunno who you should pick

You can vote for it up the top if you wish assuming you haven't already.

You can vote for it up the top if you wish assuming you haven't already.
Yeah I have but thanks anyway ^_^

Psssst it's no fun playing the regular pokemon crystal. Go get the bootleg crystal :p

Chickorita is unloved! Vote grass!

Route 27, and I think that's a great idea. Also, I think we should name your rival "Mystic." It'd be great if we gave her no say so in this... The protagonist should be female because that blue hair is fab, and I proprose the nickname "Cocopuff" for your starter...
I a green XD name your rival after me XD

Pick Totodile and name him Sebastian :D

But Cocopuff is a name befitting a proud warrior.

Reactions: Skyshaymin and Pandaxclone2
Marked.

If you ever caught a Geodude do as @FirstSerpent once did and name it after me.

Reactions: Robbie, Pandaxclone2 and Mr. Kream
Cyndaquil! :D

I suggest the Protagonist's name to be 'Candice' (It means fire (I read it somewhere!?)) if its a she :p

Pick Totidile

Pick Cyndaquil!
It's a great Pokemon lol.
This is a cool idea and I will be seeing how you will be moving foward with it!

@jasjas The voting has finished already and the starter selected.

Back