Reggie says that fan desires "doesn't affect what we do"

• Thread starter Reece
  • Start date
R

Reece

Nintendo of America president has told Siliconera that despite legions of dedicated Nintendo fans signing petitions for certain games, it ultimately doesn’t affect what the company does. Reggie points out the fact that a vast number of signatures on a petition don’t necessarily equate to large numbers of software sales.

“I have to tell you — it doesn’t affect what we do. We certainly look at it, and we’re certainly aware of it, but it doesn’t necessarily affect what we do.”

Fils-Aime went on to say that while he’s “aware of what’s happening,” he is ultimately “paid to make sure that we’re driving the business forward.”

“The thing we know [about petitions] is that 100,000 signatures doesn’t mean 100,000 sales,” he said.

Not cool Mr. Fils-Amie! I guess he is responding to (maybe) this petition that wants to localize "Digimon World Re: Digitize Decode" for 3DS, it has already gotten 22,203 supporters so far, I know this isn't much of news since we realized Nintendo has built that kind of relationship with it's fanbases' desires. What petition do you think Reggie Fils Amie was referring to, and if you are interested in the Digimon World Re: Digitize Decode, you can sign up.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's not cool from Nintendo to act like that. :(
But I will still sign the petition, to allow some people to play the localized game (if it will ever exist).

Reactions: Reece
That's not cool from Nintendo to act like that. :(
But I will still sign the petition, to allow some people to play the localized game (if it will ever exist).
I am really hoping that they does localized the game, it looks really good, I played the PSP version of this game, which had a very similar format and it was fun, so I wish that they really localized Digimon World Re: Digitize Decode! Here are some pics of the game:
22-digimon-world-re-digitize-decode-23.jpg

18-digimon-world-re-digitize-decode-40.jpg

2.jpg

I don't like the way how Reggie views the fan-base, I understand what he is saying but he can at least show some interest, it doesn't look good on the company when he states comments like that.

I am really hoping that they does localized the game, it looks really good, I played the PSP version of this game, which had a very similar format and it was fun, so I wish that they really localized Digimon World Re: Digitize Decode! Here are some pics of the game:
22-digimon-world-re-digitize-decode-23.jpg

18-digimon-world-re-digitize-decode-40.jpg

2.jpg

I don't like the way how Reggie views the fan-base, I understand what he is saying but he can at least show some interest, it doesn't look good on the company when he states comments like that.

Sure, it makes the 'evil' side of Nintendo. And I have played ReDigitize too on the PSP, that's why I'd like too to see the Decode on European/American 3DS.

And more, fan-desire could be useful, it may help to make good games too that would, increase the sales (WiiU, I'm talking about you).

That's a serious thing, that Nintendo must change.

I never liked Reggie. Pfft. I guess it goes to his head when people think retarded one-liners like, "My body is ready," are cool just because he said them.

Ahem.

I realize that was very harsh of me :p

In honesty I think petition signatures represent only a fraction of the people who want to buy the game. Out of a hundred people who want to buy a game, I think only 25 at most (and even that's stretching it IMO) will sign a petition for it. The others won't because:
  • They think (rightly, most of the time) that it won't make a difference
  • They don't want the petition site sending them junk mail about petitions they have no interest in. This happened to me and I have never signed a single petition after this.
  • They're unaware of the petition.
So yeah, I think Reggie's being unreasonable here, acting all the harsh boss, and he's got his head in the completely wrong direction. At least don't brush off the people because of whom you can put food on the table and shoes on your children's feet. (I always wanted to say that :D)

Take these words with a pinch of salt. Reggie needs to use corporate speak and spin the PR machine. I'm sure they have more impact than Nintendo is willing to admit.

That said, part of the success of Operation Rainfall was that fans actually put money down ahead of time on Amazon preorders - money talks, ergo we got Xenoblade in the States.

I see his point.
But I'm sure begging long enough makes things happen. Earthbound on Wii U for example haha

We can rage all we want, but honestly we need to keep in mind that Nintendo is a business and it only makes sense that they'd feel this way.
It's signing petitions like that that reduces the credibility of petitions in the eyes of Nintendo. If only people who'd legitimately buy the game signed the petition then it'd work better

I wonder how Nintendo would react if the fans made a funding thing and donated for a game they wanted.

I wonder how Nintendo would react if the fans made a funding thing and donated for a game they wanted.
Well in that case I'm sure they'd be more likely to listen. It'd show that one signature does indeed equal one sale in a way. It definitely wouldn't be a bad idea for them to try that out sometime

Wow, Nintendo. trying to crush the dreams of your fans and supporters. I personally never played Digimon. What is it like? like Pokemon? If I play some of the other games, I might as well sign the petition. And petitions aren't made to promote sales, They are meant to promote and persuade/convince the company to make a game ported to another system or to make an entirely new game.

Wow, Nintendo. trying to crush the dreams of your fans and supporters. I personally never played Digimon. What is it like? like Pokemon? If I play some of the other games, I might as well sign the petition. And petitions aren't made to promote sales, They are meant to promote and persuade/convince the company to make a game ported to another system or to make an entirely new game.
They're just being blunt and honest about it. Honestly it'd be kinda stupid if they were to listen to every little thing the fans demand of them. It's a good thing that they at least pay attention to the stuff the fans suggest

Yes, @naagza They should not listen to every little thing their fans say, But at least take their ideas into consideration if they are appropriate enough.

Yes, @naagza They should not listen to every little thing their fans say, But at least take their ideas into consideration if they are appropriate enough.
Yeah exactly. What we've got to realize is that compared to some of the other videogame companies, Nintendo is consumer friendly and many times will take into account what their consumers are thinking.

Yeah exactly. What we've got to realize is that compared to some of the other videogame companies, Nintendo is consumer friendly and many times will take into account what their consumers are thinking.
That's true, ive seen sometimes that companies like Sony simply slam the doors on their fans saying "Nope, We wont accept your ideas, go away". (<--Just a joke)

That's true, ive seen sometimes that companies like Sony simply slam the doors on their fans saying "Nope, We wont accept your ideas, go away". (<--Just a joke)
Actually I hear that applies moreso with Microsoft than Sony. From what I understand Sony is more consumer friendly than Microsoft and doesn't do idiotic marketing that goes against them (for example, the "Always On" thing with the XboxOne early last year...)

@naagza Oh maybe you are right. I don;'t have enough information to disagree, But I am happy to say that i'm a fan of Nintendo and the company of Nintendo takes the suggestions and ideas of their huge fanbase into some consideration, if not fully implement their ideas. The Xbox one is now classified as a failure of a console, Microsoft was about to make the leap of death until they found out the Xbox one won't be selling much at all unless they fixed some problems that the fans hated.

@naagza Oh maybe you are right. I don;'t have enough information to disagree, But I am happy to say that i'm a fan of Nintendo and the company of Nintendo takes the suggestions and ideas of their huge fanbase into some consideration, if not fully implement their ideas. The Xbox one is now classified as a failure of a console, Microsoft was about to make the leap of death until they found out the Xbox one won't be selling much at all unless they fixed some problems that the fans hated.
Yeah, pretty much. Although I wouldn't call Xbox One a "failure of a console" at the moment because they have made some recovery from all the negative press coverage before.

Also, I just want to point out a bit of a contradictory piece of evidence against this thread....the fact that Reggie said Sakurai may consider adding Reggie into the game if a certain petition got enough signatures. They DO pay attention to what the fans want sometimes

Reactions: TAG
I see where he is coming from, those signatures just want a english dubbing and then they will most likely torrent the game for free.

Reactions: ShinyLatios
i heard that and i think that they shouls listen us because we are the constumer that play their games

Back