Tutorial SD Cards (Micro explanation)

• Thread starter ErixSan
  • Start date
ErixSan

ErixSan

Somehow still top 3 poster after 3 years.
Towns Folk
Secure Digital (SD) is a type of memory that is used by the Nintendo 3DS.

So, what is the best option?
The best option are SD Cards with class 10

Why not micro-sd?
Those aren't stable when using with an adapter and there is a little chance of memory loss.

Why Class 10?
Speed. Better the speed of the card, better the performance of the console.

Max size?
The console will only read SD cards up to 32 GB.

No more space?
You can use the SD you want. I recommend the games you most play in your first SD and games obtained by contest or games you don't play a lot in the second one.

What about SDXC cards?
Don't work in the console

Reactions: 3dsatackman and Reece
Thanks for this, on some of the forums, I try to pick out what you say (about the SD Card) so now this is a full description of it :)

Thanks, that was very interesting. so I better upgrade from my 8 GB micro SD card then.

Thanks, that was very interesting. so I better upgrade from my 8 GB micro SD card then.
I would say it would be the much safer thing to do, I read some other comments and people agreed that its not really stable.

I would say it would be the much safer thing to do, I read some other comments and people agreed that its not really stable.
now I think I know why it takes so much time to load my music files on 3Ds music player and at the boot the downloaded games takes up to 1 min to appear.

now I think I know why it takes so much time to load my music files on 3Ds music player and at the boot the downloaded games takes up to 1 min to appear.
Right, well you know what to do, change your card as soon as possible.

Well, I had a 8GB micro SD class 4 at first... The console needed 17 seconds for turn on.

Well, I had a 8GB micro SD class 4 at first... The console needed 17 seconds for turn on.
Wow, I should really get a class 10 SD Card then.

What are SDHC cards in comparison to these categories of SD cards? I got one inside my 3DS XL when I bought it.

What are SDHC cards in comparison to these categories of SD cards? I got one inside my 3DS XL when I bought it.
SDHC stands for "High Capacity SD Memory Card". You maybe heard about SDXC which means-the eXtended-Capacity (SDXC).

SD, SDHC and SDXC are all variants of the SD (Secure Digital) format, that have been released in that order by the SD Association.As requirements for higher capacities came in, SD cards have grown in capacity too,SDHC cards typically come in capacities between 4GB to 32GB. SDXC cards come in sizes of 32GB of higher, with a theoretical maximum of 2TB.

Hope that helped :)

SDHC stands for "High Capacity SD Memory Card". You maybe heard about SDXC which means-the eXtended-Capacity (SDXC).

SD, SDHC and SDXC are all variants of the SD (Secure Digital) format, that have been released in that order by the SD Association.As requirements for higher capacities came in, SD cards have grown in capacity too,SDHC cards typically come in capacities between 4GB to 32GB. SDXC cards come in sizes of 32GB of higher, with a theoretical maximum of 2TB.

Thanks for sharing that :p

Oh ok, yeah that definitely helps. I was a bit confused because I thought SDHC may have been a variant of SDXC (like, with x being a variable of sorts) and with the comment of SDXC not being compatible....xD

I am glad that Nintendo went with "Secure Digital" cards, (Haha) because they are way more popular then something like Sony's PS Vita memory card... They are really overpriced and not worth it!

I am glad that Nintendo went with "Secure Digital" cards, (Haha) because they are way more popular then something like Sony's PS Vita memory card... They are really overpriced and not worth it!
Yeah, Nintendo always supported the public option. I mean even the Nintendo Wii supports SD cards (and the Wii U does too with the same supported specs for SD cards as the 3DS). I think there's also a USB option for Wii U

I have one, mine is 4GB, it came free with the 3DS itself. Good enough. I don't download games, it's just for save data.

Last edited:
I just got done putting in a 32 GB sandisk ultra. now I have more space than I will ever need.

Mine is the 2GB one that came with the standard console (I think it's the XL that comes with 4GB). It filled up with Dual Destinies and my Ambassador titles, so I had to delete some stuff.

Always meant to grab another one, but 'eh'.

"Max size? The console will only read SD cards up to 32 GB." I have a 64 GB and it works

I'm using a 32GB MicroSD (Class 10) since a while (last summer), and I never had any trouble up to now.
Also, the risk of memory loss comes if you're toying too much with the SD, right ?

Back