Mario Kart Should Mario Kart 8 Have DLC?

• Thread starter BjFauble
  • Start date
BjFauble

BjFauble

Fighting in a Sack
Banned User
I'd be surprised if all of you interested in Mario Kart 8 haven't heard people saying they want/don't want DLC, mainly because it's such a big topic for Mario Kart 8 as a whole.

Personally, I do. I know a lot of people want DLC characters, and I'd buy okay with DLC characters as long as they're cheap. If they do release paid DLC characters, I think they should do something similar to the Call of Duty Personalization Packs where you get a camo, reticle, and player card. Maybe if they did somethng like this a DLC pack could be, for example, $1.99 and come with 1 new character, a set of new vehicle accessories, and a battle course? I know a lot of people have been complaining about the battle mode not having arenas made specifically for it, so I think this would be a good way to fix that.

Now, my biggest hope, DLC tracks. If they go down this route I think they should only use retro tracks that have been used before (example: Baby Park, Coconut Mall etc). I think this would be a good way to get players just starting with Mario Kart 8 to experience all of those old tracks. :love: Or maybe I'm just biased and want to see Baby Park return...

I'm fine with DLC if the dlc wasn't planned before the launch of the game and they left it out to make more money.

Personally I want there to be so many characters LOLL, dlc characters would be amazingly cool, like you be racing online and all of a sudden you see Birdo next to you and Candy Kong behind you (why I just chose two pink girl characters idk). Characters in mario kart is just funnnnn. Or if you could dress up ur Mii that would be cool dlc content

Reactions: BjFauble
How would this work online though? Characters would just tease other players who don't have the DLC. But with tracks, they would have to be offline, or else players who don't have the DLC would be able to race on it online, making buying the DLC pointless, assuming they play online a lot.

How would this work online though? Characters would just tease other players who don't have the DLC. But with tracks, they would have to be offline, or else players who don't have the DLC would be able to race on it online, making buying the DLC pointless, assuming they play online a lot.
It could be done like Little Big Planet, where you can only play the levels when the person who has it sets up the match. I played levels online with LBP and did not get the DLC for them.

Honestly, DLC is not a bad idea. With so much people complaining that X character and Y battle course and Z retro track are not in, then that would completely fix the problem!

I'm fine with DLC if the dlc wasn't planned before the launch of the game and they left it out to make more money.
^ This.
It could be done like Little Big Planet, where you can only play the levels when the person who has it sets up the match. I played levels online with LBP and did not get the DLC for them.
They do the same with Call of Duty's DLC maps and the number of players who buy the downloadable content die down after some time. I'd prefer no DLC tracks (or free tracks so that everyone can enjoy them). Stuff like Mii customization for DLC sounds cool imo. Maybe the ability to dress up characters like Mario and Luigi too, :love: (similar to how they do things in Tekken).

Yeah it should you could buy extra tracks, there could even be some extra car wheels gliders wheels and stuff like that so there should be a dlc for mk8

Maybe another thing you can unlock or DIY kart paint jobs or anything that is customizable would be nice to see. A custom sharable track maker would be different if that could be DLC.

some extras would work out. I think it should have DLC - I'm sure many people would fork out a little bit of money for that little bit extra content, seeming as it's MK related - who wouldn't? xD

If it's free then I don't see why not. Nintendo have done this in the past so I wouldn't be surprised if it happens for MK8 as well. Nintendo can't afford to just start charging for DLC, it'd just turn people away and make them look cheap and right now they need all the fanbase they can get.

I have a feeling Diddy Kong will be the first DLC we get.

Reactions: Impulse
t
Exactly what @Heart said, I don't mind DLC at all, it would be good if sometime later this year they bring out some new courses, in the form of DLC, to keep it fresh, or new characters, anything to keep the game interesting and better. Just not at launch, I dislike when you buy a game, and you have to pay extra to get the entire content, it's a complete turn off. Games like these (racing in general) I think, should have DLC at some point, because after a while of continuous playing on those tracks, it gets tired and old, so I look forward to there being DLC!

Reactions: Impulse
I agree. As long as they don't pull something off like Call of Duty and purposely wait to release new maps that were probably already complete long ago just to charge us then I'm fine with it. It's always at least a few years wait between Mario Kart games so extra courses would help with the re-playability of the game.

I agree. I wasn't going to reply to this until just now GameStop posted a listing for a Far Cry 4 season pass. Really Ubisoft? We haven't even seen gameplay yet and they're getting DLC ready >.>

I think track DLC is fine, say, 6 months after release. Character DLC should be whenever though, since it's not really adding anything to your game, just personal preference.

Reactions: Heart
I agree. I wasn't going to reply to this until just now GameStop posted a listing for a Far Cry 4 season pass. Really Ubisoft? We haven't even seen gameplay yet and they're getting DLC ready >.>

I think track DLC is fine, say, 6 months after release. Character DLC should be whenever though, since it's not really adding anything to your game, just personal preference.
Wow season pass for dlc.

The thing is, developers are going to keep making dlc to be released after the game's launch because the people still buy the dlc. Developers will keep pushing their hands into our wallets until we say no. I mean that's their job, so it's not like bad but as a consumer we should take charge and not let ourselves be taken advantage of.
wat I even jus say

I would want it if they did things like NSMB2 when one day they make free DLC for a limited time.

New characters, plus new tracks. I'd say it should be possible.

More characters like Professor E. Gadd that, in my opinion, definitely should have been in the main game itself. The Mario/Luigi/Peach/Bowser/Toad reskins weren't necessary - side characters from the side games would've made the roster feel so much more special.

Reactions: Brawlkuriboh
More characters like Professor E. Gadd that, in my opinion, definitely should have been in the main game itself.
E. Gadd was going to be in Mario Kart DS, but later removed, kinda like Kamek in Mario Kart 64.
Everyone probably thought that because Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon, E. Gadd's chances of entering Mario Kart would be high, but it didn't happen, again.

Reactions: TheYESDragon
And in E. Gadd's place, more baby characters that haven't been seen in any other games and more useless metal characters that have have made a few to no appearances in other titles. The characters I criticized should've been DLC and the more unique characters like Funky Kong should be in their place. I mean it would be interesting to race as Pauline or Stanley rather than more babies/ metal characters.

Reactions: TheYESDragon
I'd really enjoy having more and more baby characters in there. Rosalina now is adorable. Baby Mario and Luigi are awesome as ever, as is Peach. I'd love to see a Baby Yoshi in there, aswell as maybe a Baby Wario or Waluigi. I'd be nice!:D

Back