Should Nintendo allow Indie Developers like on Xbox Live ?

• Thread starter D4rkDragon
  • Start date
D4rkDragon

D4rkDragon

Lemon Dragon
Towns Folk
Yes, this is a great question.

By Indie Developer, I don't refer to the indie marketplace, but people who want to try themselves at making
games. I tried to google about the 3DS Game Development Kit, but, as far as I know, Nintendo should approve that you are a indie studio they can trust, and even after, you would have to pay a ~15K or more 3DS SDK.

That's why I ask this to know your opinions. Should Nintendo open a bit more the "indie" side of the eShop, allowing new developers to try making games (so, like the Indie Marketplace on Xbox Live), or remain with indie-studio only made indie games ?

Now, I let you post what you are thinking about this.

I'd say go with the approved indie-studios only. The other way would just bring a lot of trash games onto the eShop. I may be sounding harsh and all but that's how I feel. The whole indie developer taking over gaming has left a bad taste in my mouth for almost the past two years. I appreciate indie games once in a while but it's like people think indie's all there's left to gaming and would rather play My Little Pony-esque, absolutely stupid games with terribly simplistic gameplay just because they're indie rather than anything serious anymore. Thankfully because Nintendo hasn't opened up to indie developers as much that's not the case with the eShop (yet) but everywhere else... Pfft.

Curse you, Steam.

Ah, Steam. I remember seeing a game that I purchased on XBL Indie Marketplace, but the Indie Developers were so bada** that they made no reduction for people who had the XBL edition. Thanks, Steam GreenLight, you showed me the right way: UNINSTALL !

I say no. I don't want the 3DS to be filled up with crappy games. It'd be a lot like the phone markets. Making it harder to get your games onto the 3DS means we won't have as many bad games. I like how it currently is as well. We don't have to many or to little indie games.

Reactions: D4rkDragon and 18
I say no. I don't want the 3DS to be filled up with crappy games. It'd be a lot like the phone markets. Making it harder to get your games onto the 3DS means we won't have as many bad games. I like how it currently is as well. We don't have to many or to little indie games.

I think that's good also that Nintendo have this restriction. I have to admit that Android Market (only to say Android), is filled up with viruses apps, or other bad*** stuff !

Should be a trusted studio such as Nicalis or Number None. There are a plethora of great indie titles but there are even more terrible ones that would be a waste for Nintendo to invest in.

Ok, thanks for your opinions, everybody. I think that's good like that too that we don't get a "95% stuffed with bad titles" indie marketplace.

I like how Nintendo is doing things, right now, although I think they should make a regulation to assure quality across platforms.

Sure. But actually, I'm quite satisfied of the quality that Nintendo gives us.

Nintendo is actually more lenient than XBL, if I'm correct, anyway.

XboxLive allows anybody to publish Indie Games, but they must pay (not sure, don't remember) $90 for 1 year.
Indie Developers then can publish up to 10 games.

XboxLive allows anybody to publish Indie Games, but they must pay (not sure, don't remember) $90 for 1 year.

Now maybe...
Before Xbox One, they were really bad with indie devs. For example, one game that needed an actualization, the devs needed to pay like 5K for publish it.

In addition to ErixSan's statements, they banned self-publishing and made the indies give lots more revenue to Microsoft than a normal publisher would pay.

Wow. I didn't know about that. What a chance that I didn't got an Indie Dev for Microsoft (I planned to become one, but gave up)

Wow. I didn't know about that. What a chance that I didn't got an Indie Dev for Microsoft (I planned to become one, but gave up)
XB1 has abolished most of it but the Wii U is still generally more indie-friendly if I'm correct.

XB1 has abolished most of it but the Wii U is still generally more indie-friendly if I'm correct.

Ah, then I'll check what kind of language the WiiU uses ! Thanks, perhaps I'll try ! I think that Nintendo do that because of the war between the WiiU Sales and the XB1/PS4 Sales. I'm sure that Nintendo will get some Indie Devs' attention like that.

Ah, then I'll check what kind of language the WiiU uses ! Thanks, perhaps I'll try ! I think that Nintendo do that because of the war between the WiiU Sales and the XB1/PS4 Sales. I'm sure that Nintendo will get some Indie Devs' attention like that.
The Wii U uses the same language as any other console. Only your mobile systems will really be the exception. The Wii U uses whatever you want to use. There's C++ and C but there's also Unity as an option.

The Wii U gets some attention from indie devs but Sony gets a lot more.

The Wii U uses the same language as any other console. Only your mobile systems will really be the exception. The Wii U uses whatever you want to use. There's C++ and C but there's also Unity as an option.

The Wii U gets some attention from indie devs but Sony gets a lot more.

I prefer avoiding Unity. I find it too much complex for a beginner like me. (The C# and JS doesn't give me trouble, but the Scene Editor does)

But if we can program in C/C++, that's good to hear. (Yes, I mainly focused my programming "education" on C/C++).

I prefer avoiding Unity. I find it too much complex for a beginner like me. (The C# and JS doesn't give me trouble, but the Scene Editor does)

But if we can program in C/C++, that's good to hear. (Yes, I mainly focused my programming "education" on C/C++).
Oh, you like C/C++, too? Nice.

Oh, you like C/C++, too? Nice.

Yes, at least, you can manage memory and things like that correctly, and it's way more faster than any other language that I can think of. PS: I think that you know of what kind of language I meant by the speed. (And it's not a managed language!)

Back