[Smash4] Beware the "Smash Purgatory" glitch !

• Thread starter D4rkDragon
  • Start date
LOL you can go make a sandwich! Personally i would like to have this glitch if i could be idle the rest of mhy life!

Hi everybody,

I am making this post just to warn you out of a glitch that seems to target many players lately. @Shelton_Xeno (+ Credit to him for the "Smash Purgatory" term I'll use here) can tell you more about it, since he has been the first (probably) to experience it on here, and from what he said, along with a few links in his threads, I decided to investigate the matter (I didn't played, but I did some quick research).

Apparently, this glitch is triggered by getting banned/reported many times. In case where you don't know, you can be reported/banned for those reasons:

-Attacking the same player
-Massive Taunting Parties (a few players admitted being pushed to "Smash Purgatory" after taunting too much)
-Offensive Miis (whether it be the name or the appearance)
-Toxic attitude (stalling, SD-ing on purpose)
-Being idle for too long
-Insults (using those bubbles that appear when taunting)
-DC-ing voluntarily

So, what does Smash Purgatory looks like ? Well, according to data I've gathered around the Internet, it presents the following symptoms:

-> Facing the same players again, again and again.
-> Opponents have a terrible connection, as if they were using their phone's connections to play.
-> Opponents will throw massive taunting parties, and will likely "teabag" the one who doesn't taunt (3v1).
-> Opponents are apparently "tougher" than what you could find in vanilla For Glory/For Fun. And essentially have a way more toxic behaviour than what you may find in a regular FG/FF battle.
-> Opponents generally have offensive names/appearances.
-> Finding opponents takes a long time (some people reported waiting up to 30 minutes !)

People also reported that the ban system gets pretty messy on that Smash Purgatory server, in the sense that, to quote somebody from SmashBoards: "you can go make yourself a sandwich, when you'll be back, you'll be able to resume the battle from where you left it" -> You're not disconnected for going idle, and apparently, targeting the same player isn't counted anymore as well.

So, how to get out of it ? Simple: Don't play For Glory/For Fun for a few days or weeks, or if you do, try to act as a exemplary player. Battles with Friends are still available, so, you may still challenge somebody from Pedia in the meanwhile.

The glitch seems to concern both the WiiU version and the 3DS version, and apparently, people who called Nintendo (Europe or America) reported that Nintendo told them they weren't banned, and they were told this is a glitch.

That's all I've found around the Internet. Considering the glitch affects both versions and the latest updates, I think I'll pin it, however, if @Marc, @Spinnerweb or @Mikaya do think it's not necessary, I leave them the right of unpinning it without even telling me (they're the admins, after all :D !)

In conclusion: Play safely, and you should be fine. If you still manage to get in Smash Purgatory accidentally, then, avoid playing For Glory or For Fun, or prepare yourself to face hell reincarnated in Smash form.

(Credits again to @Shelton_Xeno for posting the threads, causing me to investigate)

wow. how weird....this never happened to me, but i dont typically play anything on wifi unless its with someone i know.....weird.

Sounds like this could be the plot of a somewhat decent creepypasta.

That's exactly what I was thinking!

Anyway, this is really a thing? Wow, I honestly don't even know what to say about it.

Hi everybody,

I am making this post just to warn you out of a glitch that seems to target many players lately. @Shelton_Xeno (+ Credit to him for the "Smash Purgatory" term I'll use here) can tell you more about it, since he has been the first (probably) to experience it on here, and from what he said, along with a few links in his threads, I decided to investigate the matter (I didn't played, but I did some quick research).

Apparently, this glitch is triggered by getting banned/reported many times. In case where you don't know, you can be reported/banned for those reasons:

-Attacking the same player
-Massive Taunting Parties (a few players admitted being pushed to "Smash Purgatory" after taunting too much)
-Offensive Miis (whether it be the name or the appearance)
-Toxic attitude (stalling, SD-ing on purpose)
-Being idle for too long
-Insults (using those bubbles that appear when taunting)
-DC-ing voluntarily

So, what does Smash Purgatory looks like ? Well, according to data I've gathered around the Internet, it presents the following symptoms:

-> Facing the same players again, again and again.
-> Opponents have a terrible connection, as if they were using their phone's connections to play.
-> Opponents will throw massive taunting parties, and will likely "teabag" the one who doesn't taunt (3v1).
-> Opponents are apparently "tougher" than what you could find in vanilla For Glory/For Fun. And essentially have a way more toxic behaviour than what you may find in a regular FG/FF battle.
-> Opponents generally have offensive names/appearances.
-> Finding opponents takes a long time (some people reported waiting up to 30 minutes !)

People also reported that the ban system gets pretty messy on that Smash Purgatory server, in the sense that, to quote somebody from SmashBoards: "you can go make yourself a sandwich, when you'll be back, you'll be able to resume the battle from where you left it" -> You're not disconnected for going idle, and apparently, targeting the same player isn't counted anymore as well.

So, how to get out of it ? Simple: Don't play For Glory/For Fun for a few days or weeks, or if you do, try to act as a exemplary player. Battles with Friends are still available, so, you may still challenge somebody from Pedia in the meanwhile.

The glitch seems to concern both the WiiU version and the 3DS version, and apparently, people who called Nintendo (Europe or America) reported that Nintendo told them they weren't banned, and they were told this is a glitch.

That's all I've found around the Internet. Considering the glitch affects both versions and the latest updates, I think I'll pin it, however, if @Marc, @Spinnerweb or @Mikaya do think it's not necessary, I leave them the right of unpinning it without even telling me (they're the admins, after all :D !)

In conclusion: Play safely, and you should be fine. If you still manage to get in Smash Purgatory accidentally, then, avoid playing For Glory or For Fun, or prepare yourself to face hell reincarnated in Smash form.

(Credits again to @Shelton_Xeno for posting the threads, causing me to investigate)
Hee hee hee What ? So massive tauting can get you there ??? . Oh no . I am sorry Nintendo because me in Super smash bros online i am already very too use to it . I can't battle online without taunt no! that is impossible for me, beacause me when i taunt i will always laugh and it gives me great fun . But me i am in Smash hell now ; i have been there for a week now . Is this for ever ? :cry: Has any one already been there ???

Wait a bit what is the differences between purgatory smash and smash hell servers . I guess may be that the purgatory smash server is for a temporal time like a week or few days and for hell smash server is for ever o_O ??? If yes why is Nintendo then so cruel like that the create a good game like that and the want to totally spoil it with that meaningless report system . Ahh me i think that a block system a already enough. Nintendo why why why ??? :cry:

I'm pretty sure they just restrict you to using two taunts per battle... That's what I'd found, anyway.

And I think I know why, but I'm not going to say.

If taunting is a problem why did Nitendo included it in the game because it is so addictive to me

If taunting is a problem why did Nitendo included it in the game because it is so addictive to me

It's not taunting that's the problem; typically it's the way the player is playing the game. Were you using dishonorable tactics, like spamming or targeting? Purposely falling off the edge too much (grieving)? Anything else that might cause a player to block or report you?

If you are indeed on a "hell" server, as you say, it's near certainly because a high number of players reported you.

Reactions: Kadaj
Yes but my question is in the hell server will it be for ever or it will be more longer than the purgatory sever ???

Thanks for the warning.

I feel like i got hit with it for a single day on 3ds. I kept having to battle this dude whos name was the n word. the games were laggy af, and he taunted me ALOT. " prepare yourself to face hell reincarnated in Smash form." Under estimates this glitch. its insanity.

It's not taunting that's the problem; typically it's the way the player is playing the game. Were you using dishonorable tactics, like spamming or targeting? Purposely falling off the edge too much (grieving)? Anything else that might cause a player to block or report you?

If you are indeed on a "hell" server, as you say, it's near certainly because a high number of players reported you.
Well, players who do said things and fully well know that will usually report you after their tactics nein work.

Back