• Thread starter camer0
  • Start date

Which do you think is better?

• Total voters
camer0

camer0

Nintendo 3DS Addict
Towns Folk
So to start this off, one of the biggest factors is the price. 2DS costs $129.99, which is smaller than the $169.99 price of the standard-sized 3DS.

Score- 2DS(1) 3DS(0)

Next, the 2D capability. We all know the 2DS doesn't have 3D, which is why it is called the "2D"S. However, the 3DS 3D, in my opinion, isn't as great as I though it'd be. Yes, it makes it look cooler, but I can't look at it for too long without receiving a headache from it. Also, in 3D mode, the battery dies quite quickly. But, of course, you can leave the 3D off and just stick with the 2D. So here, just for the fact that it has 3D, the 3DS scores a point.

Score-2DS(1) 3DS(1)

Next is the design. The 3DS and 2DS have two completely different designs. To start off with, the 3DS is closeable, unlike the 2DS, which makes it more portable. The 3DS has the start and select button by the home button, which is a new layout for the DS brand. However, the 2DS features a start and select button underneath the ABXY buttons, which is the same as the other Nintendo DSs. I think in this case the old style is better, as it feels more natural (if you have owned a previous DS). Lastly, the look of it. The 3DS looks like a normal DS system. It is closeable (as mentioned before) and has the nice rectangle look to it. The 2DS, however, has a completely new look. Not only is it not the rectangle anymore (more of a square), it's not even flat, as it starts small near the bottom screen and gets fatter near the top screen. This is useful, however, because if you set it down, you can see the screen more easily, however, you cannot bend the screen to your preference like in the 3DS. The 3DS won 2-1 in the category, so the final score is:

Total: 2DS(1) 3DS(2)

In my personal opinion the 3DS is superior for its look, design, and 3D capabilities, which more than make up for the higher price tag

I would pick the 3DS since, as you said, it has a better design/look, and is also more comfortable and safe. The 2DS looks clunky and sort of uncomfortable even though I haven't tried playing one yet. I would prefer if there was a 2D 3DS that looks like the original without the 3D since I too don't really use the 3D that much. However, this would make Nintendo seem like it was regretting the idea of 3D (which they probably somewhat do) so they ended up making a new design and releasing it as the 2DS.

3DS, for sure. Hate the looks (and ugliness) of the 2DS. One of my friends has is, and I hate it. I would rather close my 3DS to put it into sleep mode rather than flip a switch to put it into sleep mode. And that clam shell design... Ew!

What about the 3DS XL?
The 3DS is too small for me now >.>

The 2DS design was a failure! What is the point of having it like that so it does not close? It won't fit in pockets! I would definitely vote for the 3DS even though I do not like the 3D. It kind of hurts my eyes haha.

I like the 3DS because it has a better design imo than the 2DS doorstop, and it can fit in your pocket easier. The 3DS XL is okay but I personally think bigger handhelds just look like toys (and does the 2DS have CPP capabilities or a second CP. I'm not sure but I think the 2DS can't get one) hence the SSB4 add on in Japan that was terrible was only compatible for the XL.

If they make another 3DS model however, I hope it's a 2DS with 3D capabilities as the material used in the 2DS's body are more resilient to scratch damage, as my XL already has the limited-edition cover scratched and bruised, and it's a real pain to look at.
IMO, the 2DS has a far better grip than any of the 3DS models because it's less likely to slip out of your hands due to the sheer size. Right now I can already imagine 3DS Smash players using the 2DS model instead of the 3DS because there's much less room for grip slip.

The 3DS is superior to the 2DS in every way except for durability. The 2DS was designed for kids, and that made Nintendo consider making the system more rugged and sturdy.
Design-wise, I love the 3DS. My favorite handheld design has always been the clamshell-style, and it is also very portable when you close the lid.
Grip wise, the 3DS XL still wins for me. I do not like the huge, unfoldable size of the 2DS. It is a bit too wide for my hands, and the 3DS XL fits snugly whereas the 2DS feels pretty uncomfortable.
For handing one of them to kids, it should still be the 3DS. You can always turn of 3D and restrict it with parental control. The only main reason you should give a 2DS to a child that can view 3D images, is if you are afraid the child will snap off the top screen on a 3DS/3DS XL.

I don't care about the 3D really. The reason I went with the 3DS is because I like the clamshell style and I want the device to fit in my pocket. if the 2DS had the clamshell design, I would have bought it.

I like the 3DS much more than the 2DS, the 2DS is much more clunkier and can't fold up to fit in your pocket, it loses more features than it should. Not to mention you can always just turn the 3D off, I also find it's a lot more comfortable to hold a 3ds, rather than a 2DS as well. The only thing the 2DS does well, is durability, because it was aimed at those who were too young to use the 3D factor, or those who didn't want to anyways. (When I refered to the 3DS I was talking about XL and normal.)

Um definitely the 3DS... And whoever picks the 2DS has gone completely crazy! The 2DS was a terrible idea Nintendo... I don't usually insult Nintendo like this, but its true! Definitely one of the worst idea Nintendo has had! (Beating the virtual boy in worse-ness.....) Like all it is is a spin off of the 3ds minus the 3D feature and Nintendo's lovely clamshell idea! Sorry Nintendo 2DS is 2 thumbs dowwwwwwn

Nobody likes downgrades of handheld consoles. The 2DS looks like a very wide doorstop, the 3DS/XL looks like a true handheld device. The 2DS doesn't have 3D, but only 2D, The 3DS/XL has (as Nintnedo would day) stereoscopic 3D that also supports 2D. The 2DS and 3DSXL don't make your hands cramp overtime, The 3DS can (depends on the size of your hands). In conclusion, the only thing the 2DS is better at than the 3DS is the prevention of muscle contractions in ones metacarpals.

The 3DS is better in my opinion because of the graphics. Also, I like the games that they made for the 3DS better than the DS.

Although you can win the argument just by saying that the 3DS has 3D and the 2DS doesn't, I believe that the 3DS is sevenfold better than the 2DS because of its superior clamshell design, which protects the screens, buttons and speakers, and is designed to be far more comfortable and portable than the brick-like 2DS. It's so huge and looks so uncomfortable that I can't imagine ever choosing the 2DS between the two.

Honestly, I don't know why anyone would want to get a 2DS at this point. When it launched it was cool that it only cost $130, but by now you can probably find a regular 3DS at that price or even an XL for around $150.

3DS is better than the 2DS in every way. Mobility, design, features and overall feel, the 3DS wins in every way.

2DS > 3DS XL > 3DS
The 3DS is small, the button layout far from great, and way too small for my hands. XL is great, but it's really expensive, comparing to the other two, and the resolution isn't all that great.
While the 2DS is bulky and not all that portable (It fits the outter pack on my camera bag perfectly though), it's incredibly comfortable, possibly the most comfortable handheld gaming system I've tried. The lack of 3D is quite sad, but it's not all that bad.
Also, I got my 2DS for $70, as opposed to the $190 3DS price tag (or $270 for XL) here in Sweden.
So yeah, while it lacks 3D and the mobility, it's better in every other way, I'd say.

Although you can win the argument just by saying that the 3DS has 3D and the 2DS doesn't, I believe that the 3DS is sevenfold better than the 2DS because of its superior clamshell design, which protects the screens, buttons and speakers, and is designed to be far more comfortable and portable than the brick-like 2DS. It's so huge and looks so uncomfortable that I can't imagine ever choosing the 2DS between the two.
While I agree it does look uncomfortable, you should give it a try. It really is great in your hand. As for the lack of the clamshell design, it makes the 2DS more robust, while I agree it's a bit sad it leaves the screen open for scratches and other damages.
The 3DS is better in my opinion because of the graphics. Also, I like the games that they made for the 3DS better than the DS.
The graphics are the same, the only difference is that the 2DS doesn't have the optic 3D, meaning things doesn't pop up from the screen.

I think it is very clear that the Nintendo 3DS is the better system of the two without a doubt. No explanation is really needed. The 3DS can do everything a 2DS can and more. It also has a better and more comfortable design than the 2DS in my opinion. Even from the poll in this discussion, most people like the 3DS better.

At the end of the day, it's all in preference so buy the system that works for you the best.

I have owned a 3ds and now currently only have a 2ds. When you switch it on it acts exactly like a 3ds, the only feature the 2ds doesn't have is 3d capability. It even says when your setting up the console and in the instructions, apart from that it can do everything a 3ds can do. The 3ds can't do more, except from view photos and games in 3d. Heck, when you are loading software on the 2ds it shows the nintendo 3ds logo. The 2ds is just loaded with the exact same 3ds operating system, it looks the exact same on screen. Even the talking bird on the camera software and music software refers to it as a 3ds. I will also add onto what has been stated above that the design does make it a little bit more stronger and robust since it's all in one whilst the 3ds is connected via the middle. Yes the 2ds looks like a slice of toast, yes it looks like a doorstop but it is surprisingly comfortable to hold. There would've been a stage where I thought the 2ds was dumb but now i'm not afraid to say... I think it's pretty neat! :):D:rolleyes:

I have owned a 3ds and now currently only have a 2ds. When you switch it on it acts exactly like a 3ds, the only feature the 2ds doesn't have is 3d capability. It even says when your setting up the console and in the instructions, apart from that it can do everything a 3ds can do. The 3ds can't do more, except from view photos and games in 3d. Heck, when you are loading software on the 2ds it shows the nintendo 3ds logo. The 2ds is just loaded with the exact same 3ds operating system, it looks the exact same on screen. Even the talking bird on the camera software and music software refers to it as a 3ds. I will also add onto what has been stated above that the design does make it a little bit more stronger and robust since it's all in one whilst the 3ds is connected via the middle. Yes the 2ds looks like a slice of toast, yes it looks like a doorstop but it is surprisingly comfortable to hold. There would've been a stage where I thought the 2ds was dumb but now i'm not afraid to say... I think it's pretty neat! :):D:rolleyes:
Yesh, I was laughting at it too, but now that I have one, I don't want a 3DS. My friends who have a 3DS really likes the 2DS as well, even if they're not switching, they finally, after actually testing one, realise how good a 2DS really is.

Back