Splatoon 2 Squid Beakons are useless in Splatoon 2!

• Thread starter SS1o7crazydude
  • Start date
SS1o7crazydude

SS1o7crazydude

Pedia Mastermind
Towns Folk
Who cares? Squid beacons are useless.

Since you were the one who started this discussion without my permission, may I request you to put an exclamation mark after the 2 in "Splatoon 2" in the title before I state my explanation for why I think squid beacons are useless in Splatoon 2.

Well-placed beacons are very useful, in fact. They may help in a event of a push or super-jumping straight to the key areas much quicker. It may not be fully safe to jump to teammates (They may get splatted or encounter an ambush), so beacons are a safer alternative.

Actually, before you get at me here, I'd like to state my reasons for why I think squid beacons are useless.

Actually, before you get at me here, I'd like to state my reasons for why I think squid beacons are useless.

I'm still waiting for your reasons, If you actually have any. xd

Well, first of all, you can't place more than 1 squid beacon at a time.

Second of all, nobody even pays attention to them and you won't know that someone placed one unless you look at the map.

Well, first of all, you can't place more than 1 squid beacon at a time.

Second of all, nobody even pays attention to them and you won't know that someone placed one unless you look at the map.
1. Even if that's true, how could one be useless? Unlimited seems crazy when you can only jump to three teammates if they're alive.
2. You need to look at the map to actually jump to them, lol. You can't jump to someone/something without looking at the map first.

Reactions: Mikaya
Third of all, (@Mikaya and @Marc, are you still listening?) squid beacons are defenceless. When I say this I mean they get crushed really easily by opponents as soon as they splat them.

2. You need to look at the map to actually jump to them, lol. You can't jump to someone/something without looking at the map first.

Well exactly, nobody's even bothered to look at the map, therefore, nobody feels like jumping to a squid beaker.

Third of all, (@Mikaya and @Marc, are you still listening?) squid beacons are defenceless. When I say this I mean they get crushed really easily by opponents as soon as they splat them.
Well, yeah :p They're a jump point. I wouldn't expect 'em to be guarded by robo Octolings =P

Well exactly, nobody's even bothered to look at the map, therefore, nobody feels like jumping to a squid beaker.
You can't speak for everyone. I look at the map, especially if I respawn.

Reactions: Mizunil and Mikaya
That's pretty much the only time anyone looks at the map.

In tower control, there the most useless than any of the other modes. If you're on the tower then nobody needs a squid beaker to get to you, and if you do set up one, then chances are that when you get splatted, the beaker will be crushed as well.

And in rainmaker as well, nobody needs a beaker to get to you.

That's pretty much the only time anyone looks at the map.
Nope.

1. When someone wants to use a stinger, they look at the map.
2. When someone has the football in Clam Blitz, they look at the map to jump to their teammates.
3. Same as above but for different game modes, they want to jump to their teammates faster if it's a safe spot.
4. People look at the map to see where enemy ink is headed to locate their enemies.

There are much more points to make.
In tower control, there the most useless than any of the other modes. If you're on the tower then nobody needs a squid beaker to get to you, and if you do set up one, then chances are that when you get splatted, the beaker will be crushed as well.
What happens if all of your teammates get splatted? A squid beakon near the tower is an easy way to get back in the game.

Nope.

What happens if all of your teammates get splatted? A squid beakon near the tower is an easy way to get back in the game.
Chances are the opponents will crush the beaker before you and anyone of your teammates respawn.

Chances are the opponents will crush the beaker before you and anyone of your teammates respawn.
But there is a chance they'll be too busy to do so or just not care to go out of their way if placed in a good spot.

You're in X rank!! No one in that rank makes any mistakes in the game. Your opponents will always check their surroundings very thoroughly and it'll be nearly impossible to hide the beaker in a "good spot" where they will not see it.

You're in X rank!! No one in that rank makes any mistakes in the game. Your opponents will always check their surroundings very thoroughly and it'll be nearly impossible to hide the beaker in a "good spot" where they will not see it.
Not hide. They are always clearly shown on the map but if you're trying to take control of a tower or a splat zone, you wouldn't climb mountains just to destroy a squid beakon.

I find them very useful and I've seen my teammates in Rank X matches taking advantage of them.

Not hide. They are always clearly shown on the map but if you're trying to take control of a tower or a splat zone, you wouldn't climb mountains just to destroy a squid beakon.

What "mountains" or great heights do you speak of?

"The Squid Beacon doesn't have much of an impact if the enemy team is smart enough to catch people that spawn there." -https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/805617-splatoon/71912570

I have supporters (people who agree with me).

"I think I'm just gonna give up on beacons. Setting them up only wastes time I could be using fighting at the zone." -https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/805617-splatoon/72146698

Last edited by a moderator:
What "mountains" or great heights do you speak of?
It's a metaphor. I meant going through a lot of trouble / going out of your way when the other team plays the objective. Destroying beakons is not the objective and one less player playing the objective can cripple a team.

Take a look at the Blackbelly Skatepark map :

300px-S2_Stage_Blackbelly_Skatepark.png

Near the bottom-left is where a tower approaches your base :

250px-S2_Blackbelly_Skatepark_Overview.jpg

That's one of the perfect locations to set it up so if your enemies are clearing out your teammates, you can quickly jump to high ground and splat anyone on the tower, then take over control.
SS1o7crazydude said:
I have supporters (people who agree with me).
Everyone is free to have an opinion lol. If they find it a waste of time, it clearly means it does not fit their playstyle (eg. they may prefer a damaging weapon over a strategic one) or they are unable to use it effectively.

Oh, and another point which I'd like to make that I forgot to mention is when you set up a beacon, if someone jumps to it, the beacon disappears.

Oh, and another point which I'd like to make that I forgot to mention is when you set up a beacon, if someone jumps to it, the beacon disappears.
For that player, I believe. You can't have a permanent jump spot you can set anywhere lol.

Someone had placed a squid beakon near my base in Clam Blitz and camped in ink. They waited for us to go to it to destroy it but the camper kept splatting us then setting it back up if destroyed.

The football teammate and company jumped to the squid beakon and totally dominated our team.

It was a cheap way to use it but they won in the end.

Back