Surprising game love

• Thread starter PersonSP
  • Start date
PersonSP

PersonSP

Writing- 'n-Drawing-aholic
Towns Folk
Seems like even a stupid title like that attracts people. Good!

Did anyone ever get hooked on a game you thought wasn't your thing? I surely did, the most recent example being Pokémon Explorers of Time. I thought it would be a cute pokémon themed dungeon crawler with old graphics. Well, I wasn't wrong, but the storyline is so amazing! And the characters aren't as flat as I'd thought they would be. Another aspect, pokémon actually die in this game? Woah. I've gotten used to the franchise censoring out anything shocking. I absolutely love the game. I spend about the whole previous week playing it. :p

Now here's my question to you; what games did get you hooked unexpectedly?

Reactions: 3905
Animal Crossing and Nintendogs are the most memorable games that fell under this classification for me. They seemed babyish in my eyes and I originally never intended on playing either of the game series. Then one year I received both of these games as Christmas presents. A part of me wanted to return them immediately, while the other wanted to try them out just to see how horribly childish they are. Turns out: I was horribly wrong. I spent many hours playing each of the games because they were so enjoyable! Especially for Nintendogs: I was treating the animals like pets that I never had the opportunity to own in real life. Those virtual animals brought so much happiness to my life at that time. Same with Animal Crossing, but to a lesser degree. Games aren't always what you perceive them to be. :p

(I'll be honest, I was a little confused about the thread title at first. I initially clicked on it out of sheer curiosity xD)

Pokémon Explorers of Sky and Nintendogs I have both played. Pokemon was way too addicting, it had everything in it, and I just loved recruited new Pokemon and learning moves. I also loved the shop in a hole that makes smoothies and lottery thingies. There is also a new quest giver tha sometimes gives cool things like an egg or a message in bottle that gives you access to super rare dungeons that are hard to beat but you cna recruit a mytihcal pokemon or a rare item. Nintendogs was good, but I wasn't obcessed with it. I loved the style off the gameplay, training and playing with your dog.

Animal Crossing and Nintendogs are the most memorable games that fell under this classification for me. They seemed babyish in my eyes and I originally never intended on playing either of the game series. Then one year I received both of these games as Christmas presents. A part of me wanted to return them immediately, while the other wanted to try them out just to see how horribly childish they are. Turns out: I was horribly wrong. I spent many hours playing each of the games because they were so enjoyable! Especially for Nintendogs: I was treating the animals like pets that I never had the opportunity to own in real life. Those virtual animals brought so much happiness to my life at that time. Same with Animal Crossing, but to a lesser degree. Games aren't always what you perceive them to be. :p

(I'll be honest, I was a little confused about the thread title at first. I initially clicked on it out of sheer curiosity xD)
Nintendogs! One of my first games ever :3 I really loved it. At first I was a bit cautious too but is was a whole buncj of fun. I still haven't played AC since it seems very similair to some games I already have (My Sims Agents for example; decorating homes, chatting with citizens+ changing stuff in town and minigames). As for the title, it's rubbish, I had no idea what would be a suitable title :p
Pokémon Explorers of Sky and Nintendogs I have both played. Pokemon was way too addicting, it had everything in it, and I just loved recruited new Pokemon and learning moves. I also loved the shop in a hole that makes smoothies and lottery thingies. There is also a new quest giver tha sometimes gives cool things like an egg or a message in bottle that gives you access to super rare dungeons that are hard to beat but you cna recruit a mytihcal pokemon or a rare item. Nintendogs was good, but I wasn't obcessed with it. I loved the style off the gameplay, training and playing with your dog.
The Mystery Dungeon series is waaaay better than I expected. Very addictive indeed. I can play for hours.:love:

I actually thought the same in Windwaker:
"Oh you can get a free game if you buy Mario Kart 8? Great! Hmm New Super Mario Bros. i have that, I dont know the other games or I dont want them. Oh! Look there is Windwaker. I never played a Zelda game properly so yeah lets get it."

I played it 2 times: Normal Mode and Hero Mode

P.S.: I love Pokemon Mystery Dungeon too. It made me cry like a babby.

Reactions: 3905
There was this game for the Nintendo DS , called Bleach : 3rd Phantom or something like that , and it was a rpg game which was grid-based , At first I thought the game would be really boring since I'm not really a fan of those types of games but I found myself playing the game for many hours since it was really fun :p

Another game would probably be Pokemon Shuffle , I thought it would be boring but then still yet I've played it for many times :p

Well Pokemon Shuffle is just like Candy Crush or something with the Pokemon style and Pokemon catching system. But after all its (for me) just a ripoff to get people buy Gems or something. But i like Pokemon Rumble World (New!!!) Its fun and you don't have to buy something to get further in the game.

But afterall its your Opinion and I don't want to hate it :D

P.S.: Poyo

I actually thought the same in Windwaker:
"Oh you can get a free game if you buy Mario Kart 8? Great! Hmm New Super Mario Bros. i have that, I dont know the other games or I dont want them. Oh! Look there is Windwaker. I never played a Zelda game properly so yeah lets get it."

I played it 2 times: Normal Mode and Hero Mode

P.S.: I love Pokemon Mystery Dungeon too. It made me cry like a babby.
I still need to play some Zelda games too. So much games on my to-do list...
Well Pokemon Shuffle is just like Candy Crush or something with the Pokemon style and Pokemon catching system. But after all its (for me) just a ripoff to get people buy Gems or something. But i like Pokemon Rumble World (New!!!) Its fun and you don't have to buy something to get further in the game.

But afterall its your Opinion and I don't want to hate it :D

P.S.: Poyo
There was this game for the Nintendo DS , called Bleach : 3rd Phantom or something like that , and it was a rpg game which was grid-based , At first I thought the game would be really boring since I'm not really a fan of those types of games but I found myself playing the game for many hours since it was really fun :p

Another game would probably be Pokemon Shuffle , I thought it would be boring but then still yet I've played it for many times :p
Shuffle was a surprise for me too, way ore fun than expected. I didn't have any real expectations for Rumble so it wasn't any better/worse than i thought. :p

First off, The title did get my attention
I think I was super hooked onto Super Mario 3D Land when I borrowed it from my friend. It seemed like a lot of fun at the time, I actually 100% the game within 2 weeks because it was so much fun XD. Another game that I got addicted to was Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon. I haven't played the original but this game gave me a good aspect as to what Luigi's Mansion is all about. I spent about a month trying to beat it and then another 3 weeks to 100% the game. These games were so addicting at the time I couldn't stop playing them xD

First off, The title did get my attention
I think I was super hooked onto Super Mario 3D Land when I borrowed it from my friend. It seemed like a lot of fun at the time, I actually 100% the game within 2 weeks because it was so much fun XD. Another game that I got addicted to was Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon. I haven't played the original but this game gave me a good aspect as to what Luigi's Mansion is all about. I spent about a month trying to beat it and then another 3 weeks to 100% the game. These games were so addicting at the time I couldn't stop playing them xD
Yay for crazy titles! What's so good about luigi's Mansion though? It always sounded a bit boring...

Yay for crazy titles! What's so good about luigi's Mansion though? It always sounded a bit boring...
:eek: BORING???!!!
You must not have played any game in the series, it's basically ghost hunting but it has some perks like solving puzzles and and collecting gold for upgrades. The best part is the fact that you have to save Mario, which is pretty ironic XD

:eek: BORING???!!!
You must not have played any game in the series, it's basically ghost hunting but it has some perks like solving puzzles and and collecting gold for upgrades. The best part is the fact that you have to save Mario, which is pretty ironic XD
I haven't played it. Saving Mario sound like fun :D

I haven't played it. Saving Mario sound like fun :D
P L A Y I T N O W

Well this ain't a Nintendo game, but Katamari Damacy took a royal rainbow ride right into my heart and stayed there. I originally got harvest moon for my ps2 but the game didn't work so I took it back and got We Love Katamari on a whim. At first, I thought I got accidentally drugged or something but soon the game won me over with its cuteness and soundtrack.

Honestly I thought I wasn't going to like the Harvest Moon series when my mom first bought it for the GameCube but I love it! The thought of caring for crops and being a farmer sounded boring but I loved it. And I still love the series to this day.

P L A Y I T N O W
I have not got the game, and also lots of games I still want/need to play. :confused: So, perhaps someday?
Well this ain't a Nintendo game, but Katamari Damacy took a royal rainbow ride right into my heart and stayed there. I originally got harvest moon for my ps2 but the game didn't work so I took it back and got We Love Katamari on a whim. At first, I thought I got accidentally drugged or something but soon the game won me over with its cuteness and soundtrack.
Accidentally got drugged?! What kind of game is it, if I may ask?
Honestly I thought I wasn't going to like the Harvest Moon series when my mom first bought it for the GameCube but I love it! The thought of caring for crops and being a farmer sounded boring but I loved it. And I still love the series to this day.
So, what the fun factor? I played some mobile games that required you to care for crops and they were pretty much what I expected them to be: boring. Is Harvest Moon any different?

Yeah its different from others, because in the series you have to form relationships and go on quests and in later versions of the game even fight monsters and explore dungeons (Rune Factory).

The first Harvest Moon was an easy carefree gameplay. You got to basically care for animals, crops, like I said earlier but you also got start a family.

In later series they started having the Harvest Goddess (who does nothing) play a major role. In Magical Melody she turned to stone and you had to collect music notes to revive her by doing certain tasks. Tree of Tranquility you had to restore the rainbows, Animal Parade you had to restore the elements.

I forgot what you had to with Rune Factory but you got to fight monsters and have them tamed so they could work for you. You also got to explore dungeons!

So Harvest Moon is entertaining and different from other farming games.

Kid Icarus (NES remake for 3ds) I found out about this game on club nintendo and i decided to get it as my 1st club nintendo game i ever got! I'm only on level 3 i believe but the game is so much fun! I thought it was gonna be in my boring game section but instead it's one of the funnest NES remake i've played!

Steamworld Dig: A Fistful of Dirt really surprised me. I wasn't sure what to expect from some random eshop game, but when I bought it and played it, it really blew my mind. It may not be long, but it holds a surprisingly solid game that I'd recommend to anyone. It also randomly generates the mine in every game, so you get endless replayability!!! Plus, it's getting a sequel later this year, called Steamworld Heist! Yaaaaay!!!

Yeah its different from others, because in the series you have to form relationships and go on quests and in later versions of the game even fight monsters and explore dungeons (Rune Factory).

The first Harvest Moon was an easy carefree gameplay. You got to basically care for animals, crops, like I said earlier but you also got start a family.

In later series they started having the Harvest Goddess (who does nothing) play a major role. In Magical Melody she turned to stone and you had to collect music notes to revive her by doing certain tasks. Tree of Tranquility you had to restore the rainbows, Animal Parade you had to restore the elements.

I forgot what you had to with Rune Factory but you got to fight monsters and have them tamed so they could work for you. You also got to explore dungeons!

So Harvest Moon is entertaining and different from other farming games.
Interesting, I'll look it up! It does seem like a great game.
Kid Icarus (NES remake for 3ds) I found out about this game on club nintendo and i decided to get it as my 1st club nintendo game i ever got! I'm only on level 3 i believe but the game is so much fun! I thought it was gonna be in my boring game section but instead it's one of the funnest NES remake i've played!
Really? It seems like just another platformer. Huh.
Steamworld Dig: A Fistful of Dirt really surprised me. I wasn't sure what to expect from some random eshop game, but when I bought it and played it, it really blew my mind. It may not be long, but it holds a surprisingly solid game that I'd recommend to anyone. It also randomly generates the mine in every game, so you get endless replayability!!! Plus, it's getting a sequel later this year, called Steamworld Heist! Yaaaaay!!!
Better news even; they're giving the game away! Look at the website of the publisher. :3 If you win you get a copy for each platform plus some copies for your friends aaaand some exclusives. The game is really different from its prequels (there's one before Dig, it's a tower defence, I think I'll buy that one pretty soon too.)

Back