Teach me your ways, o wise ones!

• Thread starter P2.0
  • Start date
P2.0

P2.0

BlueJ was here.
Towns Folk
Hiya guys! P2.0 here comin' atcha with another-! ....Actually, this isn't so much of topic, as it is a "what to expect" type post. :p

So yeah, Nintendo Switch. It's been out for a year now. :eek: And we ( Meaning me and my siblings ) have been quietly watching from the deepest parts of the shadows of all the wonders that it brings. :vamp:
But what really clenched it for me to try to get one was Splatoon 's sequel. D: My baby's calling out for me guys! I have to go get her! :artist:

Anyway, obviously there's gonna be a ton of whozie whatzits to experience with the console, so to anyone who has a Switch... What's some things I need to know when I get it? :'D Help teh helpess babeh.

Reactions: Mikaya
First off, make sure your Nintendo account is created and linked to your Nintendo network account ( the one you used on your wii u) so you can keep the friends you had. If you hold the home button it will open a menu that you can turn the system off from. Screenshot button is tap to take a pic, and press for about 3 seconds for a replay of the previous 30 seconds. There is plenty of fun demo’s you should definitely download. In the eshop, go to the search tab and below the search bar there is a link for games with demos. If you want some free local versus demos i recommend poyo poyo tetris, Arms, and inversus. There is also a trial version of a blazblue fighting game, allowing for four characters to be played.
There are also plenty of great coop demos like death squared, stikbold, super chariot, and snipperclips.

Reactions: Mikaya and P2.0
Get a Micro SD card with it, especially if you're planning to buy most of your games digital. Some physical games needs you to download a big part of them. Also, make a My Nintendo account if you still don't have one. It's not that good, but it's at least something.

First off, make sure your Nintendo account is created and linked to your Nintendo network account ( the one you used on your wii u) so you can keep the friends you had. If you hold the home button it will open a menu that you can turn the system off from. Screenshot button is tap to take a pic, and press for about 3 seconds for a replay of the previous 30 seconds. There is plenty of fun demo’s you should definitely download. In the eshop, go to the search tab and below the search bar there is a link for games with demos. If you want some free local versus demos i recommend poyo poyo tetris, Arms, and inversus. There is also a trial version of a blazblue fighting game, allowing for four characters to be played.
There are also plenty of great coop demos like death squared, stikbold, super chariot, and snipperclips.
Well, we probably won't have our separate accounts on this console, cuz trying to get online services would be too much money. D: It'll probably just be one singular entity running for us all.
Most of them would be digital if we can't get to the store, but hey, those demos sound pretty cool! It'll help us get a feel of the controls! Especially Snipperclips. That game looks delightful~

Get a Micro SD card with it, especially if you're planning to buy most of your games digital. Some physical games needs you to download a big part of them. Also, make a My Nintendo account if you still don't have one. It's not that good, but it's at least something.
Seriously??? D: Well, I'll keep a mental note for a micro SD card, then. I kinda knew that you might need one for storage, but I didn't wanna believe it. :hilarious: Dang, first the 3ds, then Wii U, and now we gotta get one for the Switch. Fantastic. :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Speaking of Micro SD card, you have to put it on the back of the Switch's kickstand thing. And it's recommended to pick the card that has the capacity of at least 64 GB or higher, and it got to have the speed of UHS-1 or more so that your Switch games on the Micro SD card would load nicely.

Speaking of Micro SD card, you have to put it on the back of the Switch's kickstand thing. And it's recommended to pick the card that has the capacity of at least 64 GB or higher, and it got to have the speed of UHS-1 or more so that your Switch games on the Micro SD card would load nicely.
I actually thought that you'd put in the back of the Switch, but it's in the stand??? :eek: That's so different! I'll keep it in mind!
So recommended micro SD cards would over 64gb... The more expensive ones, no doubt. :'D

I actually thought that you'd put in the back of the Switch, but it's in the stand??? :eek: That's so different! I'll keep it in mind!
So recommended micro SD cards would over 64gb... The more expensive ones, no doubt. :'D
It is in the back of the switch. Behind the stand. The size depends on how big of games you download and how many. I believe mario oddessy is close to 5 gigabytes, so that is a good starting idea of how much you would need for full retail games.

Reactions: Mikaya, Starry Windy and P2.0
It really depends. Some games are very light, like Splatoon 2, which is around 2 GB, and some games are heavy, like MBA 2K18, which is around 30 GB. You have a bit more than 25 GB on the Switch (32 GB with the OS). I have four games currently (The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, Splatoon 2 and Super Mario Odyssey), and I am currently useing a 4 GB Micro SD card from my New 3DS until I buy a bigger one. I have almost no space on my Switch ;-;

Details on how to replace the Micro SD card

A good micro SD card is nice but physical games are better...

It's worth noting that the switch is region free so feel free to buy games from any country that you are interested in. Some games only come in physical form in different regions, (Bayonetta 1 is digital download only everywhere but Japan, I am Setsuna is physical only in some asian countries).

Btw speaking of stands, the stand comes out if it gets bent too far. It pops right back into place, because it only pops out so that its hinge doesn’t break, as that would be what happened if it wasn’t that way. Be careful not to lose it though. It isn’t hard to accedentally pop it out and forget to pick it up. It doesn’t work well on anything but a flat surface, but works well on that.

I has more questions! :'D

Concerning multiplayer, do you need additional joycons to play more people on the system? Cuz I know those little things cost a lot compared to some of the older controllers we bought in the past. >.<

And also, I heard if you leave it docked, the Switch overheats. D: If that's true, what should we do to keep it cool??

I has more questions! :'D

Concerning multiplayer, do you need additional joycons to play more people on the system? Cuz I know those little things cost a lot compared to some of the older controllers we bought in the past. >.<

And also, I heard if you leave it docked, the Switch overheats. D: If that's true, what should we do to keep it cool??
Some games require multiple paris of joycons (like lego city undercover) while some games can just have each player use only one joycon (like mario kart 8 deluxe). Joycons are expensive... just like almost every controller for consoles.

In terms of overheating, my switch had never overheated but I have heard many others had that problem. Not sure how they fixed it, but it seems like less intensive games make it less likely to overheat.

Reactions: P2.0
The switch doesn’t overheat, but it does get really hot. It can still run though. While running in dock it uses more power creating more heat. Just remember to put it in sleep mode before you dock it or it will be left on heating up while you aren’t even using it.

I was about to write what they wrote XP
Don't buy a 3rd party dock, use the original Nintendo one. They can brick your system.

The dock can scratch the Switch, because they decided to make it from hard plastic for some reason, so try to put something soft in the inside or get a screen protector (a tempered glass one is reccomended. You can use a plastic one, but they're scratched easily).

Also, not sure if you know but the Switch Online Service is going to launch in September, and you won't be able to play online without it, so check it out.

I strongly suggest you invest in a pro controller to make your playing experience better. The Joycons are likely to develop problems (My left one had a calibration issue and it lagged when I tried to move forwards. As a result, I had to send it off for repair to Ninty). It's not worth buying any replacement Joycons. If you're on a budget, Go for a wired controller (You're gonna be limited to TV mode all the time, Keep that in mind). They don't have motion capabilities, So if you're used to analog, You should be fine!

With that said, Try not to stick with one playing mode all the time - Mix it up and go for Handheld or Tabletop and TV (If you have one). The battery life of the Switch will reduce with constant usage. Being in docked mode for a long period of time can overwork the Switch, So getting it out does help. I find that my Switch makes a lot of noise when I play for a while.

Reactions: P2.0
I strongly suggest you invest in a pro controller to make your playing experience better. The Joycons are likely to develop problems (My left one had a calibration issue and it lagged when I tried to move forwards. As a result, I had to send it off for repair to Ninty). It's not worth buying any replacement Joycons. If you're on a budget, Go for a wired controller (You're gonna be limited to TV mode all the time, Keep that in mind). They don't have motion capabilities, So if you're used to analog, You should be fine!

With that said, Try not to stick with one playing mode all the time - Mix it up and go for Handheld or Tabletop and TV (If you have one). The battery life of the Switch will reduce with constant usage. Being in docked mode for a long period of time can overwork the Switch, So getting it out does help. I find that my Switch makes a lot of noise when I play for a while.
You're kidding me! D: ...I mean, I'm not surprised, people were already saying they were experiencing problems with the Switch when it first came out. :'D But sheesh, now I've got to go get one of those pro controllers, too? ;u; Lucky thing I'm real used to analog sticks. :p

I'm afraid to ask, but how much are they? :eek:

Reactions: Mikaya
Just make sure you have a warranty and you should be fine with just the joycons. Just make sure you arn’t too far from the switch with them, as they are not great at keeping connection at a distance. This is why I highly enjoy handheld mode. If you play mainly tv mode and want to play games like splatoon seriously, the pro Controller may make it less frustrating. If it doesn’t use motion controls however, its much smoother. If you are close to or connected directly to the switch it works fine. But more than about 20 feet and you will feel the input lag

Reactions: P2.0 and Mikaya
Just make sure you have a warranty and you should be fine with just the joycons. Just make sure you arn’t too far from the switch with them, as they are not great at keeping connection at a distance. This is why I highly enjoy handheld mode. If you play mainly tv mode and want to play games like splatoon seriously, the pro Controller may make it less frustrating. If it doesn’t use motion controls however, its much smoother. If you are close to or connected directly to the switch it works fine. But more than about 20 feet and you will feel the input lag
Well, considering we don't have a big house yet, being too far from the console won't be much of a problem. :p Warranties are always nice, too. May have to ask pop if he can help us with that. There's only so much I can put towards the system. xd

Warranty comes with any new system. If its the 300$ one on amazon it comes with a 1 year warranty. So if anything stops working just call nintendo and they will help you out

Thank you all for the great info! If I have any more questions, I do hope I can still count on you all to lend a helping hand! :3

Reactions: Starry Windy and Mikaya
Back