The Blue Method (Pokemon X/Y New Shiny Method)

• Thread starter BjFauble
  • Start date
BjFauble

BjFauble

Fighting in a Sack
Banned User
Now this isn't proven or anything, however several people on Reddit are having great luck with it.

The Blue Method, named by a user on Reddit who discovered this, has found that racking up steps on your 3DS pedometer increases the chance of finding a shiny Pokemon in the wild. Once again, nothing proven as of yet.

Reddit User said:
The Blue Method

So, I believe I have discovered another new way to boost the chance of encountering shiny pokemon in X/Y. I call it the Blue Method, after my in-game character. First, a little background:

I work at a job where I walk. A lot. My 3DS pedometer typically reads anywhere from 15k-20k steps per day when I take it along. So I decided to start taking my 3DS along every once in a while to stock up on those relatively useless 3DS game coins. And the most amazing thing started happening when I did. Every time I took my 3DS along with me to walk around with it at work, I encountered a shiny pokemon almost immediately when I got home in the evening. From a first-encounter shiny Eevee in the Friend Safari (which I had been hunting for weeks with no luck beforehand) to a shiny Espurr on Route 6 while looking for a Sentret for my Pokebank (that's right, I got a shiny before I even saw that non-shiny Sentret I wanted). I am not sure exactly what the ratio of steps to chance is, but there does seem to be a correlation. Today since I was off, I took a walk outside with my 3DS as part of an ongoing test of my theory. After 2000 steps, I found a shiny Gible on Route 13 within an hour of hunting. So far I've caught 13 shiny pokemon just using my Blue Method. Now, 13 is hardly irrefutable proof. So I'm looking for more people to test my method and let me know your results. Spread the word!

If this isn't evidence enough for you, here are some various other posts on the Reddit thread regarding The Blue Method:

Reddit User said:
Tried it, I got 2026 steps and got a shiny on the second encounter back

Reddit User said:
I've been hunting all day in the safari, without any luck, so I decided to test your theory. I walked to the store and back (1232 steps), and started up again. The first encounter was a shiny Dusclops! It definitely could be a coincidence, but I'm gonna keep testing and see if I can get any consistent results. Thanks for bringing this to my attention!:)

Reddit User said:
I'm at 5k steps and within 20min of hunting I found another Shiny Shuppet. I'm thinking this Blue Method just might have some merit to it.

Thanks to @AeonsAlex for letting me know about this! I'm going to go for a walk in a bit and try it :3

Reactions: CrazyElf and 3dsatackman
How does this work? Does pokemon y need to be active while the system is on sleep mode or does it not need to be launched at the time?

Not surprised about this :sneaky:, if nintendo could make games/videos that could be bought with play coins in the eshop everyone would be walking, it's a matter of health if you think well, i never would pay for the eshop videos anyway. So i assume that a lot of people who have XY will walk more if this is true alright.

This is fun, if it's true then people will definitely walk more to stock up those steps, but i'll probably just cheat and shake it like crazy anyways :p, and i wonder if this will work for breeding? has anyone try that? :cat:

Reactions: TheSuperKid
I'll try this out soon. I wonder if the more you walk the more it helps or if its just a set number of steps and when it resets the value.

Everyone be sure to post your accomplishments (Or un-accomplishments) so we can see whether this theory has some value to it or not ourselves.
I'll try this out soon. I wonder if the more you walk the more it helps or if its just a set number of steps and when it resets the value.
It seems people with 4000 steps got Shinies more frequently than those with less, and it also seems the chances cap out at 4000 (Something related to O-Powers)
This is fun, if it's true then people will definitely walk more to stock up those steps, but i'll probably just cheat and shake it like crazy anyways :p, and i wonder if this will work for breeding? has anyone try that? :cat:
It also seems to work for breeding if you aquire the egg AFTER getting the steps, not before, as the Egg Shiny Value is determined as you get the egg, not as you hatch it.
How does this work? Does pokemon y need to be active while the system is on sleep mode or does it not need to be launched at the time?
It does not. It's just the normal steps the 3DS aquires whilst walking, so just keep it on the main menu with the lid closed, and you're golden.

Is it a once a day thing or like after you catch a shiny the value resets? Or dose it raise the odds for the whole day?

Is it a once a day thing or like after you catch a shiny the value resets? Or dose it raise the odds for the whole day?
I have absolutely no idea. I want to think it raises the odds for the whole day, as your steps don't get reset, but it could be either of the three.

Well as soon as my 3ds gets charged up it'll be test time!

Wait so is it like I turn on the ds select pokemon y and then press th home button then to to sleep mode?

Wait so is it like I turn on the ds select pokemon y and then press th home button then to to sleep mode?
You don't need to be on Pokemon Y. As long as you're in sleep mode, you're fine.

Reactions: MLGirby
Oh never mind It does not need to be launched. Thanks! I'll try this with breeding and wild pokemon

Oh never mind It does not need to be launched. Thanks! I'll try this with breeding and wild pokemon
Good luck, and post your results!

Reactions: MLGirby
I will try to, with this Blue Method + Shiny Charm+ Masuda Method it could work :)

I don't have the shiny charm :( so hard to get :(

Thanks a lot for sharing this method. Now, i'm off to the park. I hope I can hatch a Shiny Charmander with this.

This is neat but does this only work for wild Pokemon or does it work in other ways too? Let's think about it, the Pokewalker could be used to find items and Pokemon. Now you are more likely to find wild animals if you go out and try to look for them. Maybe this is an alternate/virtual reality created by GF (or coincidence but you're playing with probability). Not sure if this explains the shinies I've gotten after searching constantly for a few hours at least once a day when I do look for them, but you never know. Can this method lead to better IV Pokemon finds too?

This is neat but does this only work for wild Pokemon or does it work in other ways too? Let's think about it, the Pokewalker could be used to find items and Pokemon. Now you are more likely to find wild animals if you go out and try to look for them. Maybe this is an alternate/virtual reality created by GF (or coincidence but you're playing with probability). Not sure if this explains the shinies I've gotten after searching constantly for a few hours at least once a day when I do look for them, but you never know. Can this method lead to better IV Pokemon finds too?
No idea. We won't really know any of that until a hacker gets into Pokemon and checks it all out.

Hmmm I'm quite sceptical about this whole thing, but I am willing to test it. I'll take my 3DS with me when I go to town tomorrow and then try some breeding. I'm not really interested in just for show shinies, but I'll try the breeding method with the blue method.

i did it not knowing of this and i got a shiny at the safari on my second pokemon.
(that was the first shiny i had got myself)

Back