The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past wins best handheld game at GDC

• Thread starter TAG
  • Start date
TAG

TAG

Indie supporter
Towns Folk
The game got a few nominations, and ended up winning handheld game of the year! It beat out (among others) Pokemon X & Y.

For those who've played it, do you think it deserved the award? Or would you have picked another game?

I think the award was well deserved - congrats Link!

i have not played it. what system was it for? ds or game boy? also i think that all zelda games should get a reward.

It's for 3DS. The 2014 Game Developers Choice Awards.

I agree, all Zelda's should get rewards. In fact, they probably all have.

It's for 3DS. The 2014 Game Developers Choice Awards.

I agree, all Zelda's should get rewards. In fact, they probably all have.

i think that you mean a link between worlds. and yes i am sure they have. also i kinda think that x and y should have goten a award also

Reactions: TAG
Lol, force of habit! A Link Between Worlds is my favorite SNES game! :woot:

Thanks for mentioning that, I probably wouldn't have noticed. Let the community see my faux pas and chuckle. :wacky:

I think this award is well deserved for Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds, it game is fun, easy to control, has amazing graphics, runs smooth, enjoyable background music. I can't see any other game that will win this award.

Reactions: TAG
Every Zelda game is perfect, I don't know any zelda game so far that sucks.

Every Zelda game is perfect, I don't know any zelda game so far that sucks.
Ahem. you have clearly not played any of the Zelda CD-i games. It's a good thing, you NEVER want to play them.\
I also think it deserved that, I played that game endlessly. I love every Zelda game (except the CD-I games :p :sorry:)

The CD-i Zelda games are far from great, but they don't deserve the rep the have.

The CD-i Zelda games are far from great, but they don't deserve the rep the have.
WHAT?! You think they don't? :eek: They should never be touched. If you have played them, you will know. Horibble controls. For example, if you want to kill an enemy, you need to press A. Other actions also have the button A so you might end up going through a door. Countless other things to explain that I won't because they are too many.

I have played them, so I do know. In fact I've played them on genuine CD-i hardware with a real controller. Many people who trash the games (including reputable sites) either play them via emulators, or haven't played them at all, relying solely on vids! :banghead:

I own all three, and judged on their own merits they aren't nearly as bad as their reputation. The controls can be cumbersome but it isn't like they are game breaking. For experienced gamer's they are manageable. In fact Wand of Gamelon might be on the easy side. Comparing them to Nintendo's Zelda games is a bit silly - they should be compared to other games in the CD-i library. ;)

I have played them, so I do know. In fact I've played them on genuine CD-i hardware with a real controller. Many people who trash the games (including reputable sites) either play them via emulators, or haven't played them at all, relying solely on vids!

I own all three, and judged on their own merits they aren't nearly as bad as their reputation. The controls can be cumbersome but it isn't like they are game breaking. For experienced gamer's they are manageable. In fact Wand of Gamelon might be on the easy side. Comparing them to Nintendo's Zelda games is a bit silly - they should be compared to other games in the CD-i library.
Even I have played them on the original CD-i with the original controller, but the fact that the fish characters from SpongeBob and some very unmemorable characters would make me give it a 0/10. Sorry if you don't agree :D

That's fine if you hate them - I can certainly understand how you would (even if your zero score is absolutely absurd!)

I'm able to enjoy them - being informed of their history, as well as being knowledgeable about the CD-i console probably helps. The games do have some strong points, that can probably be appreciated by those who experience the games fresh - w/o having heard most of the lies that are spread all over the net.

Hotel Mario is also solid - but I don't want to derail this thread anymore.

Reactions: 532
lol yeah its deserved the award :p its a fun game - i don't have it but i tried it - lol and lots of unique amazing gameplay but i can't help saying - i think pokemon XY should have gotten an award too - its a very good game worthy of an award too :p

Reactions: 532
Well deserved. I've played the hell out this game. xD

Better than any of the other Zelda handheld games, imo.

I played it but I don't think it was a GOTY.

I loved it but there is better games than that one. Maybe because I feel the game was easy.

My save is 100% complete.

I played it but I don't think it was a GOTY.

I loved it but there is better games than that one. Maybe because I feel the game was easy.

My save is 100% complete.

Unless you start naming names, your opinion means squat. :p

Nah, just joking...
I was exploring the new design...

Games I think they're better than The Legend of Zelda A Link to the Past:

Mario & Luigi: Dream Team
Shin Megami Tensei IV
Project X Zone
Animal Crossing: New Leaf

Hmmm ... I haven't played Shin Megami Tensei IV, and I didn't care for Project X Zone. I can see an argument for Dream Team and New Leaf though. Both are great games!

Fyi, I bet you totally end up reviewing Farming simulator 14. :rotfl:

Back