Tips for developing a good Pokemon team?

• Thread starter MercuryBitt
  • Start date
MercuryBitt

MercuryBitt

A Radical Goat
Towns Folk
Honestly I thought I had a good team, but once I hit the online competitions, I get my pokebutt handed to me. I tried my best to keep a good well rounded team but it didn't seem to work out. Is it due to natures and best moves to have on a pokemon or what?

These tips don't have to be exclusive to my situation :p

(ps- my team is Ampharos*, Charizard*, Greninja, Toxicroak, Polygon, and Dragonite currently, though I have used rayquaza, Gogoat, Xerneas, Zygarde, and Chandaelure. The pokemon with * are mega evolution capable.)

Everything counts including ivs, Evs, good Moveset, natures, ability, gender maybeXD, and how experience you are to pkm. Is your Pokemon working well together? Is it not? Can this Pokemon switch in safely to safe a Pokemon currently in the field? If you going to play competitively you need to be knowlegable.

Everything counts including ivs, Evs, good Moveset, natures, ability, gender maybeXD, and how experience you are to pkm. Is your Pokemon working well together? Is it not? Can this Pokemon switch in safely to safe a Pokemon currently in the field? If you going to play competitively you need to be knowlegable.

What sort of natures are better for battles :?

What sort of natures are better for battles :?
pokemo10.png

List of natures and their effects. Different Pokémon sets work better with different sets for example I'd run either Modest or Timid nature on Greninja because he's a fast special attacker (so he wouldn't really need much of a good attack stat). Plus the type of move (physical/special) matters too. On my Greninja I run Scald, Ice beam, Gunk Shot, and Dark Pulse - All Special Attacks. These moves (with Modest Nature) get a 10% damage boost because Modest boosts special attack. Hope this helps!

Last edited:
Reactions: MercuryBitt
Ampharos @ Ampharosite
Ability: Static
EVs: 32 HP / 252 SpA / 224 Spe
Timid Nature
- Agility
- Thunderbolt
- Dragon Pulse
- Focus Blast

Charizard @ Charizardite X
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 144 HP / 252 Atk / 112 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake
- Roost

Are the ones I like :D Hope you do well.

The best tips I can give you are:

• Have a good type coverage for your Pokemon (i.e. have a Charizard with Solar Beam to cover it's x4 Rock weakness)
• Make sure to get the best IVs possible (you can check IVs somewhere just can't remember where)
• Don't screw up your EVs (meaning plan out your setup)
• On the topic of setups, go onto Showdown and make your team there (that's how I got my team)
• On the topic of Showdown, try your team out on it (people on Showdown are probably harder than in Gen 6)

Anyway, here's my competitive Charizard setup:

42o Blaze It @ Charizardite X
Evs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Flamethrower
- Air Slash
- SolarBeam
- Ancient Power

As you can see, this is a great Fast Special Sweeper build.

When you build a team, you should choose a playstyle you're most comfortable with (Hyper Offense, Bulky Offense, Balance, Stall, etc) and from there you need to choose a "core". Cores are made of 2-3 Pokemon that pair well together offensively or defensively and can work towards a common goal and from there you'll need to decide the rest of your team depending on what that core needs to succeed.

Building a Pokemon team requires much things like the EVs and IVs and the nature , movesets , etc. It also takes developing a strategy in how you are going to play them , as well as a Synergy with the different types of Pokemon in your team . Making a good team might take time with all the breeding and those stuff though :/

Making a good team might take time with all the breeding and those stuff though :/
Or just going to one of the MANY Pokemon shops around the forum.

the REAL way to get your team, is as nintendo puts it, strong pokemon, weak pokemon, irrelevant. my team actually consists completely of dragons, just for when I feel like destroying people, my other team is an odd one to be sure, mightyene, arcanine, suicune, meganuim, sceptile, and lapras. ( my logic behind that is that if you can win with pokemon you love, that makes winning that much more satisfying.)

• Synergy: You have to make sure the types balance out one another. You don't want to get your whole team swept by one move D:
  • Special/Physical Pokemon: Make sure your team has a good balance of special attackers and physical attackers.
  • Flying/Levitate type: This is optional but it's best to have a flying type so you can switch out on a predicted earthquake.
  • No same type moves: Make sure move types are varied. There's only 4 slots. o:

The best tips I can give you are:

• Have a good type coverage for your Pokemon (i.e. have a Charizard with Solar Beam to cover it's x4 Rock weakness)
• Make sure to get the best IVs possible (you can check IVs somewhere just can't remember where)
• Don't screw up your EVs (meaning plan out your setup)
• On the topic of setups, go onto Showdown and make your team there (that's how I got my team)
• On the topic of Showdown, try your team out on it (people on Showdown are probably harder than in Gen 6)

Anyway, here's my competitive Charizard setup:

42o Blaze It @ Charizardite X
Evs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Flamethrower
- Air Slash
- SolarBeam
- Ancient Power

As you can see, this is a great Fast Special Sweeper build.
Pssst... Charizard X is the Physical one ;)

Pssst... Charizard X is the Physical one ;)
I know that was an old one. *Ahem*, here's the setup I meant to say.

420 Blaze It @ Charizardite Y
Evs: 252 SpA / 4SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
-Flamethrower
-Air Slash
-SolarBeam
-Ancient Power

As you can see, this is actually a great Fast Special Sweeper Build.

Reactions: Vernal
You need a good nature ivs Nd evs also a good build If you need any help let me know

On my Greninja I run Scald, Ice beam, Gunk Shot, and Dark Pulse - All Special Attacks. These moves (with Modest Nature) get a 10% damage boost because Modest boosts special attack. Hope this helps!
Wow!!! I run the same Greninja but with protect rather than gunk shot, and protean as the special ability, so it always gets the stab boost and can handle more types better.

Wow!!! I run the same Greninja but with protect rather than gunk shot, and protean as the special ability, so it always gets the stab boost and can handle more types better.
I have Protean on my Greninja as well. I put Gunk Shot mostly to cover against Fairies, and the protect set kinda makes it vulnerable against fighting types. Trial and error was what I did with mine.

Well, @np2016, what do you think about life orb on greninja?

Well, @np2016, what do you think about life orb on greninja?
That works great honestly. With its great special attack it could easily blow through some Pokémon while only having life orb take away some health every few turns.

well you have to remember its not all about the pokemon, i would say the most important thing is the move sets and thats where you probably need to work on, you can look at smogon and pokemon showdown to help finalize your team

Back