SSB for 3DS Tips for stopping lag in Smash Bros. for 3DS

• Thread starter 3391
  • Start date
Wow, this really works! Thank you so much! I'll share this with my brother. I really gets frustrating whenever mid-play lags are evident. I might as well write this down as physical notes.

PS, how did you figure these out?

Reactions: 3391
Wow, this really works! Thank you so much! I'll share this with my brother. I really gets frustrating whenever mid-play lags are evident. I might as well write this down as physical notes.

PS, how did you figure these out?
I just messed around and wondered if not pressing stuff would slow down lag :p turns out it did

This helps alot thank u

thanks for sharing this. i tried these and they really help. one quick question though. does this help with wifi freezing on the wii u? sometimes when i try to get online on the wii u, my whole system just freezes. it really makes me mad....

so if anyone has any tips for that please let me know...

thanks for sharing this. i tried these and they really help. one quick question though. does this help with wifi freezing on the wii u? sometimes when i try to get online on the wii u, my whole system just freezes. it really makes me mad....

so if anyone has any tips for that please let me know...
I'm sorry, I have no idea if these tips help, tips 3 and 4 might but I never have that problem so I don't know

hmmm.... i see. well, thanks for being honest. i've heard of people calling nintendo support about that issue, but im not sure if there's an official solution yet or not. it would be nice if there was, though

Lol I usually have the most lag when I am right next to my friend and we play... But that's just me, but I have good internet and is never used... But then again, it's my problem... Lol

I must say, this was really very useful for my super smash bros 4 for 3ds online gaming experience. I thank you, though another tip, if i may sugest one, would be to go into 2 player matches instead of 4. this also makes it easy to see because it zooms in more on less players.

I must say, this was really very useful for my super smash bros 4 for 3ds online gaming experience. I thank you, though another tip, if i may sugest one, would be to go into 2 player matches instead of 4. this also makes it easy to see because it zooms in more on less players.
That is fairly obvious though, I think most people know that, but thanks for the suggestion :D

Wow it really worked thanks man now I can en
I'm sorry, I have no idea if these tips help, tips 3 and 4 might but I never have that problem so I don't know
Thanks for this it really works now I can enjoy a game of super smash bros for the 3ds online without lag now it's easy for me to kill my enemies without lag online I'm a fat ballerina who slits throats and kicks smashing butt JK I'm okay at smash bros for the 3ds

Thanks this helps so much i kept having lag in online matches with my cousins thanks :)

i hate laggg a lot i mean seiriosly a lot i mean a lot i hate lag i quit battles from lag

Last edited by a moderator:
I know that in the Wii U version, the lag can be so bad sometimes that I have to quit. I played one battle for like 10 minutes and there was still a minute and a half left on the clock in a 3 minute battle. It dragged (lagged?) on for ever. It was super boring too.

Yeah, taking the stress off your internet connection really does help. I also recommend, if you have a phone, to turn on Mobile Hotspot if you are still having trouble. That way you can guarantee that your 3DS is the only system using the connection. However it does use up your mobile data, so be careful with that. Another tip, which is fairly obvious, is to play in secure Wi-Fi environments, NOT coffee shops or McDonald's and other places with Free Wi-Fi, as many people are probably using that connection.

Wow these are very nice tips :love: . I don't have the game yet but I have a friend who does so I can give him some of these tips . The first few tips I didn't know but the last ones with the turning off other internet -consuming things like tablets is quite obvoius to me lol :ninja:

This will be short, not much to say. The online multiplayer lag is frustrating, and often makes matches unplayable. It just continues to show the little loading ball, starts working again for a couple seconds, and shows it again. Then, when I get frustrated and decide to leave the match, I get penalized because I left in the middle of the match. Or, I decide to just put my 3DS on the table till the match ends, and I get penalized for being inactive within the match. Stupid. I thought Nintendo was gonna deal with this issue. You guys experiencing this?

I'm going to share a little trick so to say about stopping random lag in matches. This is not for input lag but only mid-battle lag (sry about that =/)

Tip 1. If you start experiencing mid-battle lag don't press any buttons until the lag is over.

Tip 2. If your problems haven't stopped try backing away from your opponent and standing still for a few seconds (5-15 should do)

Tip 3 (thanks to Artisan):If you have an all around laggy connection and you know it's not you just change the opponent you are facing after the battle. Turn off or at least get rid of any music or videos on your computer if a window is open with them, it's really worth the trouble and the 3DS/Wii U has better music anyways. Because if you are getting information with a router or something it's best not to make it do too much at one time.

Tip 4 (pretty much a recap of Artisan's in case you didn't understand): The less stuff you're doing with the internet the better. If your tablet is using the internet and you don't really need it, turn it off. The less things using your internet the better ;) As said before try not to listen to as much music during the battles and stuff (remember you don't HAVE to do this but it'll help).

NOTE: This seems to work for the wii u too but I don't have as much lag so it's harder to tell.
This did help. Thanks

This will be short, not much to say. The online multiplayer lag is frustrating, and often makes matches unplayable. It just continues to show the little loading ball, starts working again for a couple seconds, and shows it again. Then, when I get frustrated and decide to leave the match, I get penalized because I left in the middle of the match. Or, I decide to just put my 3DS on the table till the match ends, and I get penalized for being inactive within the match. Stupid. I thought Nintendo was gonna deal with this issue. You guys experiencing this?
Yeah it does suck,the online matches do

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank for posting this! I will have to keep this in mind the next time I play in online battles, but I have one quick question. Doesn't the lag have to do with the country each player is in? I always thought so, but I very well could be wrong.

Thanks this will be useful

Thanks for this! I ALWAYS get lag and it kind of stopped me from playing multiplayer at all, I am going to try it later tonight!

Back