Use the 3DS Youtube app as a browser to watch other videos!

• Thread starter 532
  • Start date
Wow. At least, it looks better than the native browser. But I wonder if (indeed) website like Twitch will be supported, because maybe the 3DS Youtube App is using the HTML5 player, and other websites are still fond of Flash. Got to try it anyway.

PS (Off-topic): Nice 3DS ;).
(Off topic):I think the native browser uses JSON and a bit of Java to operate, that's why some pictures show up and some don't: .tiff and .jpg pictures show because of their JSON structure and others like .jpeg don't.

I now enjoy using Internet on the 3DS for once :bag:

(Off topic):I think the native browser uses JSON and a bit of Java to operate, that's why some pictures show up and some don't: .tiff and .jpg pictures show because of their JSON structure and others like .jpeg don't.

I now enjoy using Internet on the 3DS for once :bag:
*Off-Topic -> On*
Nintendo using Java ? I doubt so. I think it's just some C or C++, the guys at Nintendo are skilled in this language, and I doubt that the 3DS could support Java. And there's also JSON libraries for C++. Also, it renders PNG.

So, besides the bad JavaScript looping thing, the browser's not that bad. Guess that I'll have to go and try html5test.com to see what's supported on the 3DS.

Reactions: milesose
Yes, it's been amazing, I haven't gotten one crash like I used to, I watched so many Pokemon movies, it's really amazing, I'm glad to see Nintendo and Youtube working together, and finally solved all those crashes, now I use the Youtube app more than Youtube.com on my computer :bag:
Yes, same here! I watched Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children and Also Dirge of Cerberus without a single error. The app works like a charm :love:

Yes, same here! I watched Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children and Also Dirge of Cerberus without a single error. The app works like a charm :love:
It does, I love to use it a little while before I go to bed, I watched Pokémon: Jirachi Wish Maker, Pokémon Heroes (Movie 5, which is my fave) Pokémon: Destiny Deoxys , and Pokémon 4Ever, I've watched these movies not too long ago actually, but I enjoy 'em every-time.

Reactions: 532
i tried the internet thing and it worked i taped download google chrome and then: a thing that said menu came up and the loading thing. i left it like that for a hour but no change i tried again but it did the same thing, did anyone else have this happen?

I'm about to try this, this sounds so cool!

I knew the 3ds could display better quality videos cause I watch Netflix on it and the quality is good. But no where near to iPad quality lmaoooooooo

i tried the internet thing and it worked i taped download google chrome and then: a thing that said menu came up and the loading thing. i left it like that for a hour but no change i tried again but it did the same thing, did anyone else have this happen?

You can't install Google Chrome. Google Chrome is made for tablets/smartphones and computers. And, as you know, the 3DS isn't powerful enough to support it. That's why we have the bad NetFront as a browser.

I discovered this very useful feature while using the 3DS Youtube app. You can use this to watch videos on websites like Twitch, Dailymotion, Metacafe on high resolutions.
Step 1. When you start the Youtube app, go to the three bars on the top left of the touch screen. (Log in with your Youtube account first)
Step 2. Once that menu opens up, touch the gear icon or touch the settings button.
Step 3.When you are in settings, go to the Email tab.
Step 4.When the email tab opens, Find a tab that says Comment Notifications above and below it says Change on Google+
Step 5. Once you are in that tab, it will say your browser is no longer supported. Click the "Download Google Chrome" button.
Step 6. After you click that, wait for the page to change and the scroll all the way to the very bottom of the page and click the "Google" button.
congratulations! You are using the Youtube app as a web browser, and you can watch almost any video that can be played on a phone. Twitch, Dailymotion and Metacafe works. It does take tie to finish buffering, but then the video plays. This is a really good point in showing that the low res videos in the Youtube app are not due to system limitations. It is due to program design flaws.
KnI70y6.jpg

What do you think? Is this feature useful or is it useless? I would love to hear your feedback. :)
I have to say it is useful but the only disadvantage I can find is , the 3DS usually lags when your using the internet , sometimes it can be slow that it reaches the point where you get frustrated.

I have to say it is useful but the only disadvantage I can find is , the 3DS usually lags when your using the internet , sometimes it can be slow that it reaches the point where you get frustrated.
My internet speed is pretty fast, I never experience lag on my 3DS. I have 25 Mbps of internet speed.

Nintendo is bringing two titles together,the gamefreak creature collecting role-playing Pokémon series and the instructional Art Academy game in Pokémon Art Academy, a new Nintendo 3DS title that will show players how to draw their favorite Pokémon.

Announced earlier, Pokémon Art Academy will feature 40 lessons detailing how to draw and paint 2D illustrations of select Pokémon using the 3DS screen and stylus. Each lesson will feature step-by-step guides as well as tips and tricks for translating players' 3DS drawing skills into real-world artwork. An in-game tutor Professor Andy will walk players through lessons, which include how those to draw Pokémon including Charizard, Fennekin, Fletchling, Oshawott, Pikachu and Torchic and more

Previous titles in the Art Academy series which launched for Nintendo DS in 2009 on fine art; for Pokémon Art Academy, the title will run on the cartoon illustrations familiar to the Pokémon serie. The game also includes several pencils,colors; tools for new to Art Academy, including Markers that create clean blocks of color, Outline Pens that make lines that can't be colored over and an Undo feature to quickly clean up mistakes.
Pokemon-Art-Academy---graphic.jpg
Pokémon Art Academy also features Free Paint and Quick Sketch modes where players can use more than 100 assets pictures of Pokémon to draw them however they choose. Photos takes with the Nintendo 3DS camera can also be imported into the game. Artwork can be shared directly with other Pokémon Art Academy players or uploaded to Miiverse.

"The Pokémon characters themselves are among the most endearing and enduring aspects of the Pokémon video games, with everyone having their own favorite," Nintendo of America’s executive vice president of sales and marketing Scott Moffitt said in a press statement. "Pokémon Art Academy lets fans deepen their connection with these iconic characters by providing detailed lessons teaching how to draw them on their Nintendo 3DS or Nintendo 2DS in a straightforward and enjoyable way."

Pokémon Art Academy is slated to launch this fall in North America, according to Nintendo, while Nintendo UK Europe will receive it after

Ah, yes. I have also had problems trying to load the page after you touch "Download Google Chrome". Maybe they found out and they fixed it, or they have made the page size too big.
I'm about to try this, this sounds so cool!

I knew the 3ds could display better quality videos cause I watch Netflix on it and the quality is good. But no where near to iPad quality lmaoooooooo
Yes, Netflix quality is good. The 3DS is made for gamingmainly, whereas the iPad is made for online entertainment with Youtube/Netflix/Hulu Plus.. Now, if I tell you to compare the games on the 3DS to the games on the iPad, which one would win out? :p

Last edited by a moderator:
My internet speed is pretty fast, I never experience lag on my 3DS. I have 25 Mbps of internet speed.

And me with my 220kb/s for my 3DS... T_T

Reactions: 532
I do not use youtube on my console because my internet connection is a little bit slow and awaiting kills me. Maybe a will use it in the future when i change my connection

I do not use youtube on my console because my internet connection is a little bit slow and awaiting kills me. Maybe a will use it in the future when i change my connection
For people with slow internet connection, that can be a major problem. However, I have blazing fats internet, that goes upto 25 Mbps of speed. I can load any video/page on my 3DS in seconds.

Reactions: Jwiz
You guys are all lucky. I can't even use the YouTube app because of restrictions in my country. The only way to bypass it is using proxy's or VPN's- which, do not have any chance of coming on the 3ds. <:I

I can use the Youtube app but ehh, only if I'm not near my computer or laptop.

I think that's pretty cool.

I will be trying to use it next time I am on my 3DS.

You guys are all lucky. I can't even use the YouTube app because of restrictions in my country. The only way to bypass it is using proxy's or VPN's- which, do not have any chance of coming on the 3ds. <:I
Oh? That's bad. Which country are you talking about? There are a few countries with no YouTube access.

Pakistan. NO IT ISN'T A TERRORIST COUNTRY. WE ARE CIVILISED PEOPLE LIVING IN CIVILISED HABITATS.

I meant to reply to this a while ago but I forgot.

Anyway, when I tried, there was no Google+ tab. I signed in and everything but it still wasn't there.

I believe this loophole has been patched by now. I still haven't found a need to use the Youtube app when my computer is sitting on my desk. I guess it's pretty popular among other 3DS users though. I think I'll watch some Pokemon movies/episodes on it if nothing else.

Yes, I think it's been patched. :( Shame, too. I never got to try it out.

Back