What college do you want to go to?

• Thread starter TheSpiritedWarrior
  • Start date
TheSpiritedWarrior

TheSpiritedWarrior

Never gives up a fight
Towns Folk
We all have that certain college we want to go to. I personally want to go to an I.B college though. I want to be an engineer so M.I.T would be the best for me. Its really good for engineering though it is very expensive sadly. I'd be needing a full scholarship to go there.:(
Also, its dang competitive so its not an easy task to even get in it. You need like, at least a 4.1 to even stand a chance. So yeah, anyways, whats your college you want to go to? :hungry:I would love to see since we all have different colleges we want to go to.

Royal Military College of Canada. I decided on that a reaaally long time ago, and it's perfect for the career I decided: Fighter pilot for the Royal Canadian Air Force.
Best part? It's FREE! YOU get paid to study there, and there are paid vacations! :D

Royal Military College of Canada. I decided on that a reaaally long time ago, and it's perfect for the career I decided: Fighter pilot for the Royal Canadian Air Force.
Best part? It's FREE! YOU get paid to study there, and there are paid vacations! :D
Those are some amazing perks :panda: Why didn't I get paid to go to school? D:

I want to go to Aga Khan University. Pretty easy to see why:
rankings.png

No. 7, King Edward, is where everyone dreams of going but bah, it's fallen in standards since the 70s when the parents who pressure their kids to go there attended it. Also, Aga Khan is on the other side of the country and in a lovely coastal city. It'll be an adventure :D

Reactions: 532
We all have that certain college we want to go to. I personally want to go to an I.B college though. I want to be an engineer so M.I.T would be the best for me. Its really good for engineering though it is very expensive sadly. I'd be needing a full scholarship to go there.:(
Also, its dang competitive so its not an easy task to even get in it. You need like, at least a 4.1 to even stand a chance. So yeah, anyways, whats your college you want to go to? :hungry:I would love to see since we all have different colleges we want to go to.

Do you mean 4.0? 4.0 is the highest GPA possible on the unweighted grading scale. A 4.1 is only possible on a weighted scale, and each school's weighted grading scale is different, so a 4.1 might be amazing at one school and only adequate at another.

I personally want to go to the University of Notre Dame, but like you, I would require a lot of scholarship money.

I'm already in university, it's in argentina and it's called Universidad Tecnologica Nacional (National Technological University). I'm studying to become an information systems engineer.

I see that I'm not the only one who dreamt about going to the MIT :p ! But, considering how things are, I won't even be able to try to enter it, because, I'd need to be at least 18 to go to the USA, and as you said, it's a damn expensive school.

But luckily enough for me, there's some engineering school which opened back in 2013 in Paris who does something similar. Not to mention that, despite the fact that you still have a rude competition (On 4K people, only 900 remains) to get in, it's totally free since it's paid by the CEO of an ISP here.

And that's where I'm planning to go. Sadly, there's no diploma given, as the government doesn't recognize it, but it's three years of value experience (1st year is Web stuff if I recall what I read, 2nd year is video-games related with making a 3D engine, and 3rd year is about making iOS/Windows Phone/Android apps.). However, the fact that there's absolutely no Windows computers over there is going to be a shock to me (yes, they only have iMacs. 900 of them (however, I think it's per floor, and there are 3 floors). And I never used an Apple product.).

But, nonetheless, I still plan on getting there (after I'm done with getting a BTS (diploma in France) in IT).

Also, short note: I read on the said school's forum that people from the US or the UK can also join (though you'd still have to get in France). Seems like they were already planning on doing something like this for a while.

Reactions: 18
Well, I did want to attend Stanford this fall semester, but they rejected me back in April, so now I'm going to UC Berkeley to study mechanical engineering. And submitting financial aid documents along with a plethora of other credentials would have ensured me a full ride at that college. :/

Id like mit, but right now i take calc 2 at the u of MN. I am currently 13

*is that one kid who doesn't wanna go to college* :p

*is that one kid who doesn't wanna go to college* :p
In America, at least, you pretty much need a degree to do anything worthwhile. The days of not going to college are more or less over.

I'm attending a well-known university so that in a year I can reap the benefits of my school's reputation, without paying massive amounts of money out of pocket since it's not Ivy League or otherwise topping any lists.

I've noticed a lot of MIT in this thread and if that's really what you want, go for it. But, as an educator myself, I'd advise being cautious of schools that let their reputation get to their head - meaning the Ivy League schools and MIT, for instance. Usually these schools are good only for their reputation, since simply existing generates money and mainstream appeal because everybody wants to go to Harvard. The actual quality of these schools has gone down. They're not the great institutions they used to be. They're overpriced shells of their former selves. This is a good read, if anybody hasn't dismissed me yet.
There's also a very good rebuttal to the above.

In America, at least, you pretty much need a degree to do anything worthwhile. The days of not going to college are more or less over.
Well, the career I want just requires only a diploma and going to college would probably make me end up in a similar position, but it wouldn't be the same. I agree that degrees are important, but there are still jobs out there that don't require them. And no, it isn't something like working at McDonald's or some other lowly job, though it doesn't pay all that well, either. Haha

Well, the career I want just requires only a diploma and going to college would probably make me end up in a similar position, but it wouldn't be the same. I agree that degrees are important, but there are still jobs out there that don't require them. And no, it isn't something like working at McDonald's or some other lowly job, though it doesn't pay all that well, either. Haha
Parajumper? :sneaky:

Reactions: 532
I've noticed a lot of MIT in this thread and if that's really what you want, go for it. But, as an educator myself, I'd advise being cautious of schools that let their reputation get to their head - meaning the Ivy League schools and MIT, for instance. Usually these schools are good only for their reputation, since simply existing generates money and mainstream appeal because everybody wants to go to Harvard. The actual quality of these schools has gone down. They're not the great institutions they used to be. They're overpriced shells of their former selves. This is a good read, if anybody hasn't dismissed me yet.
There's also a very good rebuttal to the above.
Hm… Both articles seem to convey a sort of academic propaganda in regards to what school students should attend or not, as expected. I think I saw a nod to religious private colleges for one's own character development…

Well, prestige does ensure a higher success rate for graduated individuals in finding an exceptional career. But then…

One should attend a college based on more factors than just prestige. I recommend looking at various universities and analyzing what field of study they specialize in. For example: I’m an aspiring engineer, but I wish to attend Harvard. That makes no palatable sense, and that fact is that Harvard has a horrible engineering program as compared to other lesser-known colleges. Altogether, this disregards the reputation of the college.

Then, there exist the advanced degrees that open the opportunity for attending a graduate school. An Ivy League that rejected an undergraduate, High School student may be begging for them later after that student receives his/her bachelor degree. I view it as a parallel to the public education’s standard progression:

Elementary School < Middle School < High School

Community College < University < Graduate School

Like an elementary and middle school can take place on the same campus, so can a university and graduate school. In this case, you experience the best of both worlds. For those worried about financial aid, starting at community college does indeed save you a hefty amount of money.

Overall, this falls under the difference of having a degree and knowing what to do with one... Or having credentials and knowing how to validate them in the field of work. Not all people with degrees work harder or smarter than those possessing none. In conclusion, its more about what one makes of the degree rather than how one obtains it.

*makes buzzer sound*
Even in a Utopia, someone has to clean up the mess. Competition is beginning to make the Bachelor’s Degrees obsolete. Soon it’s to be ALL about advanced degrees, like the elusive Ph.D. This happens to be contemporary America for you…

Do you know how to spell “McJob”? :sneaky:

Reactions: Artisan
Even in a Utopia, someone has to clean up the mess. Competition is beginning to make the Bachelor’s Degrees obsolete. Soon it’s to be ALL about advanced degrees, like the elusive Ph.D. This happens to be contemporary America for you...
There are some jobs (like the one I want) that probably won't require any kind of degree for a very long time, though :p

Most likely I'll take the High School < Community College < University route. But on the way I plan to take and prepare for tests that will help me on the way. One of them being the CLEP test for chemistry I believe so I can get some credits and not have to pay as much. Of course this is a risky investment and I'll have to try really hard. Yay me >.>... Luckily I have a general idea of how it works and there may be several job opportunities in my area once I get in/out of College. Of course talent helps but it can't to everything for you. So yeah I'll just have to wait and see until I get a tad older.

I wanna go to North Carolina or South California University

In the long run, either University of Central Florida or Full Sail University. Whichever one will accept me/be the most beneficial choice for me. I hope I can get some decent scholarships to help me pay for tuition. xP

If i can get in, I want to go somewhere like UVA or Georgetown, probably going to go to a community college first then transfer to make it cheaper

I should've been in college already but here I am, still thinking what I'm gonna do. I want to go to art academy but since I have to pay A LOT of money (10 000 HRK (croatian kuna)) I'm kind of scared of failling, so first I want to find a decent job so I can help my parents pay at least half of it, but with the situation here it's impossible to find something throught winter and in summer it's sooo busy with all the tourists :cry: anyway, back to the point, I want to go to college because I want to improve my skills as an artist and perhaps to learn how to draw something from my head and not just draw with a picture :hungry:

Back