What do you do you want to learn and do in life/ your career?

• Thread starter codyplays
  • Start date
codyplays

codyplays

Pancake
Towns Folk
I know there are people here that have an education and a good job and some people some people are still getting there, like me :p. Me personally has no exact plans but I have a common interest in game development, certain art, and history. I know when I'm ready I want to move to Japan as a foreigner and make a living. How about you?

(You don't have to specify if you don't know, or even if you have absolutely no idea about the future :)

I aim to be a Video Game Producer! I'm slowly getting there, one step at a time!

Reactions: Hikki, 532, codyplays and 1 other person
I aspire to be a website designer as well as a video game programmer. In the meantime of getting there, I might go into different fields of IT.

Reactions: Hikki, 532, 3823 and 1 other person
I want to be a video game developer (don't we all? xP), probably with my own company which I dream would be affiliated with the big N, but also could see myself doing various aspects of IT, as well as Business (I'll be taking that in college). Oh, and writing a successful superhero TV show would be awesome (like The Flash).

Reactions: Hikki and Sabakarp
Ever since I was a child, I wanted to be a game designer. But as of recently, I've started thinking that designing games may not be for me. I still want to do something in the game industry, so I've narrowed it down to a few options. The first is to be a writer for a game magazine or website. The second is to run my own video game store. Finally, I want to try and be a big youtuber. I realize that may be a bit tough given how over saturated the youtube video game community is, but it's still something I'd like to try, even if I can't really do it now

Reactions: Sabakarp and 423
Blow stuff up.

I would like to pursue to being in some sort of field of engineering, leaning towards computer engineering. I like to think, and I don't mind sitting in front of a screen for 16 hours a day. Math is my strongest subject in school too.
If things work out, I would also like to pursue being part of competitive Smash Bros. too. :p

For a while I've been decided on teaching English in developing countries, and I'm particularly interested in Africa. One of the books I have to read over the summer is about the plight of women worldwide, particularly in third world nations, and the chapter I read today was about a woman doing humanitarian work in eastern DR Congo, one of the regions in which I am most interested . The appendix of the book specifically lists organizations based in Congo and even a university in the city of Goma where Americans can study abroad with Congolese students. Maybe I'll have to look into some of this. :p

Reactions: dwikrid, Hikki and amirally27
For my entire life I was told to that I should think about what I wanted to do with my life, and for the longest time I avoided the question. By the time I was 12 I couldn't take the constant questioning on my plans for my future so I made stuff up saying I wanted to be a ballerina or fireman generic stuff for my stereotypical white family, but it wasn't what I wanted. But then one teacher I had in high school said to me that "If you didn't love what you do then fight for what makes you happy." And so I dreamed about going into game design for a while, but I began to stray more towards the more general computers so now I plan to be a computer software engineer. I realized that I wanted to build the things that make me happy. And that includes gaming consoles and computers. Maybe someday I'll change the face of gaming or even the world. Who knows?

Reactions: TheYESDragon
Aiming towards getting into Medical School. In the future I wish to be an Endocrinologist (look it up lol). I got the inspiration to pursue this career from my dad, who suffers from diabetes. Ever since I was a kid, I knew I wanted to be this, although I didnt even have a clue about what it was lol. Later on I learned a little more about the endocrine system, and it just happened to be interesting to me. So right now I am volunteering at hospitols to get used to the aspect and setting of a hospitol, and to build my resume. Well, thats about it :D

For a while I've been decided on teaching English in developing countries, and I'm particularly interested in Africa. One of the books I have to read over the summer is about the plight of women worldwide, particularly in third world nations, and the chapter I read today was about a woman doing humanitarian work in eastern DR Congo, one of the regions in which I am most interested . The appendix of the book specifically lists organizations based in Congo and even a university in the city of Goma where Americans can study abroad with Congolese students. Maybe I'll have to look into some of this. :p
That sounds really cool actually :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Hikki and Jack
Since it was brought up in the college thread, I'll make a serious post. I wanna be a Pararescueman. They do technical rescue. I know, none of you have heard of them :p. Anyways, they perform CSAR (Combat Search and Rescue), mountain rescue, sea rescue (of I understand correctly, if it's in 200 like a of the US, Coast Guard Rescue Swimmers, which were inspired by Pararescuemen, do the rescue, but PJs will handle everywhere else) and can serve as trauma medics. The training is 2 years long and grueling. During this, you get EMT-P qualified, something that takes civilians 2 years, in 6 months. They are also MFF (military freefall) and combat dive certified during the training (along with other things). There are two kinds of units they can be sent to. Rescue Squadrons and Special Tactics Squadrons. Special Tactics Squadrons deploy with Special Operations teams, while Rescue Squadrons stay on alert waiting for a call to rescue somebody. There are other differences, but that's the simple way to put it. Moving on, there are only about 300 PJs at any given time. To put that into perspective, there are about 2000-2500 SEALs. I've wanted to be a PJ for the past year and a half and I'm not sure exactly what made me wanna be one, to be honest. xD
Pararescue.com can tell you more, or even Wikipedia, but I wanted to keep this short.
PS: They do get to blow stuff up, like I said I wanted to do earlier ;)

Reactions: Hikki and 532
@Ephraim
Above all, you place life at risk everyday at work, in the hopes of saving other lives. Are you willing to do this in lieu of looking for a better career or even safer job? That means one day, there may not even be... Someone to call Porkchop... Or make a town frame me for being evil even though I'm innocent...

Although your interest hints that you are considering this field for the excitement of it all... Or you hate school.

Reactions: Hikki
@Ephraim
Above all, you place life at risk everyday at work, in the hopes of saving other lives. Are you willing to do this in lieu of looking for a better career or even safer job? That means one day, there may not even be... Someone to call Porkchop... Or make a town frame me for being evil even though I'm innocent...

Although your interest hints that you are considering this field for the excitement of it all... Or you hate school.
I believe I am willing. The only way to prove it is by doing It, but I'm pretty sure I'm willing haha.
It's not just for the excitement... Or hating school. I'm patriotic and being in the military has been something I've wanted to do my whole life and I've had my eyes set very strongly on Pararescue for the past couple of years.
And although I hate school, this is far from an easy way out. Like I said, taking a class that normally lasts 2 years and learning it and a lil more in 6 months is going to be difficult. Plus, if I just wanted to stay away from college, I would join the Marines and be a 0311 (Rifleman). Not a jab at the Marines, but that's just what I'd do if that were the case.

Reactions: Jack and 532
I'm in a similar position to Raptor: I also am looking forward to joining the military, specifically become a pilot in the Royal Canadian Air Force. (Don't you dare mock the RCAF @Ephraim :punch: )
I'm already 1/3rd of the way there, as I'm getting my Power Pilot License next summer, and I intend to go through RMC (Royal Military College Canada)

I'm fine with risking my life: Flying has always been my dream since I was young, and ever since I joined cadets, it has only reinforced my decision. I love flying, and I love the thrill of it. There is no other career which I will even consider to replace it.

I want to be a librarian. I know it's not something a lot of people say they want to be and it doesn't have incredibly amazing pay or anything, but I think it would suit me. I've been leaning back and fourth between being a children's librarian or a different kind, but the general idea of being a librarian is there. I love library environments, if I become a children's one I do enjoy working with children, I love helping people out in general, and many of the other aspects appeal to me. I am doing a co-op at my local library this coming fall to learn more about the career path.

Reactions: 532, dwikrid and Moon Rain
Just like some of us here, I plan to be a video game programmer. But code only, graphics and music would end up looking something like the Atari 2600 if I tried!

And for now, I'm on a good start to become one, considering I've already planned what to do after I'm done with high school (=when I'll get my "BAC", diploma you get after high school in France). Just two years of BTS (better than the BAC, and there are many specializations, but I'll choose IT), and I'll be at Paris for about 3 years of hard work if I get accepted there (it's totally free, but there are only 900 places per year, so, the tests to get there are tough and takes around a month!).

Reactions: Marc and 423
I'm in a similar position to Raptor: I also am looking forward to joining the military, specifically become a pilot in the Royal Canadian Air Force. (Don't you dare mock the RCAF @Ephraim :punch: )
I'm already 1/3rd of the way there, as I'm getting my Power Pilot License next summer, and I intend to go through RMC (Royal Military College Canada)

I'm fine with risking my life: Flying has always been my dream since I was young, and ever since I joined cadets, it has only reinforced my decision. I love flying, and I love the thrill of it. There is no other career which I will even consider to replace it.
You mean the secondary branch of the USAF? :p

I've been making YouTube videos (actively) for about 6 or so months now, it's nice pocket change but nothing to live off of. I found out while making videos that I absolutely love video editing, so something along those lines if YouTube ever vanishes. I also quite enjoy web design as well as graphic design, so there ya go. Plenty of options on my end.

As a kid growing up, I too wanted to be a 3D graphic designer, but as time went on, and things started to become more realistic, I began to realize that it wasn't really for me. Right now, I'm taking Information Technology, but it's definitely not what I want to be doing in the future. I aspire to become a pastry chef, or even a pie maker, and open my own cafe/pastry shop in the Philippines. Being a bit of a dreamer here, but I really do hope it pans out.. xD

I aim to be a Video Game Producer! I'm slowly getting there, one step at a time!
I aspire to be a website designer as well as a video game programmer. In the meantime of getting there, I might go into different fields of IT.
Pretty sure both of you will get there soon ;)

That's basically becoming a superhero. :eek: Go for it!

For my entire life I was told to that I should think about what I wanted to do with my life, and for the longest time I avoided the question. By the time I was 12 I couldn't take the constant questioning on my plans for my future so I made stuff up saying I wanted to be a ballerina or fireman generic stuff for my stereotypical white family, but it wasn't what I wanted. But then one teacher I had in high school said to me that "If you didn't love what you do then fight for what makes you happy." And so I dreamed about going into game design for a while, but I began to stray more towards the more general computers so now I plan to be a computer software engineer. I realized that I wanted to build the things that make me happy. And that includes gaming consoles and computers. Maybe someday I'll change the face of gaming or even the world. Who knows?
Same story. People kept asking so at first, until the age of 8 or something my answer was 'palaeontologist' (person that digs up dinosaurs) but then I started thinking about having to lie down in the desert heat and it also wasn't a very socially accepted answer so I switched to saying 'fashion designer'. Ugh, you really shouldn't ask kids such questions, how are we to know?

Aiming towards getting into Medical School. In the future I wish to be an Endocrinologist (look it up lol). I got the inspiration to pursue this career from my dad, who suffers from diabetes. Ever since I was a kid, I knew I wanted to be this, although I didnt even have a clue about what it was lol. Later on I learned a little more about the endocrine system, and it just happened to be interesting to me. So right now I am volunteering at hospitols to get used to the aspect and setting of a hospitol, and to build my resume. Well, thats about it :D
Seems like great aspirations, hope you find a cure. :)

I want to be a librarian. I know it's not something a lot of people say they want to be and it doesn't have incredibly amazing pay or anything, but I think it would suit me. I've been leaning back and fourth between being a children's librarian or a different kind, but the general idea of being a librarian is there. I love library environments, if I become a children's one I do enjoy working with children, I love helping people out in general, and many of the other aspects appeal to me. I am doing a co-op at my local library this coming fall to learn more about the career path.
Books! Books are awesome! Though I'd never think I'd hear someone say they wanted to be a librarian. You got your own smiley btw --> :bookworm:

As a kid growing up, I too wanted to be a 3D graphic designer, but as time went on, and things started to become more realistic, I began to realize that it wasn't really for me. Right now, I'm taking Information Technology, but it's definitely not what I want to be doing in the future. I aspire to become a pastry chef, or even a pie maker, and open my own cafe/pastry shop in the Philippines. Being a bit of a dreamer here, but I really do hope it pans out.. xD
Pfff...careful what you wish for! The catering industry is hard work. It's a lot of fun to make pastries and stuff every day but you have to wake at weird hours to get everything ready in time.

Now, for me? I don't really know yet. I know stuff I absolutely don't want to do, like doctor (of any kind) since it involves working with hurt people every day, or military, since the soldiers I know were royally f***ed up at the end of their career and the whole idea of military is against my ideas and ideals (aaaand the fact that if someone shouts commands at me I'm much more likely to shout back than to obey ) or the hospitality industry.

So if I dream big I'd say I got a couple hopes/goals for the future:
-Become a published writer
-Become rich enough to build a self-sustaining moonbase (yes I am serious) then live there
-Travel to all the countries in the world (I have seen over 30 countries already, I'll get there)
-Develop a game
-Build schools in developing countries
-Top politics, I'm a pretty good debater but then again, I can't stand dumb crowds so perhaps this isn't for me
-etc. I'm a dreamer so except for the above I got a lot of different dreams too.

As for a job description I'd say a creative job that allows me to travel a lot, one with little management layers above me, that pays well enough to allow me holidays in foreign countries. I wouldn't mind having to talk with people a lot as long as they got some brains, and I wouldn't mind conferences and dinner parties either so I guess that would bring me to a job at the higher management layers of a relatively big company. And that's pretty vague. :facepalm:

The only problem is that I'll have to pick a university and a study 1-2 year(s) from now so I'll need to find out pretty quick. Currently I'm thinking about neuropsychology (which is a combination of neurology and psychology) but I'm open fo suggestions.

Reactions: Hikki, Sabakarp and 423
Back