What do you think about physical Nintendo games being sold without game cards?

• Thread starter Marc
  • Start date
Marc

Marc

"Marc's the sugar daddy of gaming" - Artisan 2020
Forum Management
As you can see from the image below, it shows you the physical Switch case for a Nintendo Switch game. At the top of the case, it says "Full Game Download | No Game Card Included".

UN0iBQb.jpg

What do you think about stores selling these cases without the game cards? I assume there is no game card but a download code for the game inside that you'd have to use in the Switch eShop.

It's terrible imo.

I want to own the games I buy, and buying it physically does that. I also want to save on storage space and physical does that.

If you want to own the case to display, just buy blank switch cases and print out the covers yourself. So much cheaper.

Reactions: EdwardKok and Jisenku
If it's a game that doesn't support internet multiplayer/features then why not just make the cart and have that convenience. I take it cartridges cost money to produce but that's not on the consumers end.

Reactions: 28142
As you can see from the image below, it shows you the physical Switch case for a Nintendo Switch game. At the top of the case, it says "Full Game Download | No Game Card Included".

UN0iBQb.jpg

What do you think about stores selling these cases without the game cards? I assume there is no game card but a download code for the game inside that you'd have to use in the Switch eShop.
THEY PUT THAT GAME ON SWITCG?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!

THEY PUT THAT GAME ON SWITCG?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!
Well yea. That's the official art for the box I think.

Reactions: AricAttack

UN0iBQb.jpg

I get why they do it, since they dont want to sell the game as a stand alone code at stores, so they add a box to it. But at that point, you might as well only sell it digitally.

Seems really weird tbh. They already sell games with just the code at retail stores like gamestop and walmart and like regional versions of walmart. Its basically just a waste of plastic and a slot on the shelf of games at the store. Also could deceive people who didn't notice the thing at the top. Unless you really wanted the cover art on your personal shelf, this seems dumb

Reactions: Hibiki_Kuze
Seems really weird tbh. They already sell games with just the code at retail stores like gamestop and walmart and like regional versions of walmart. Its basically just a waste of plastic and a slot on the shelf of games at the store. Also could deceive people who didn't notice the thing at the top. Unless you really wanted the cover art on your personal shelf, this seems dumb

The waste of single use plastic is a very good point tbh. Though that's probably a different argument for another day.

Reactions: Bagel
I don't think it's weird. I don't know why you people are making such a big deal out of nothing.

I don't know why you people are making such a big deal out of nothing.

It's just a discussion with multiple points of view :p

I mean, I've been trying to buy stuff physically now to save space, but I can't really say much.
I saw Hollow Knight on one of those card things, and I bought it. :p

Depends on the person, I guess. But I'll say one thing, it's much easier to buy a game for someone online if you can send them the code from one of those cards.

its making really hard for the fans the possibility to get back some cash if at some point you dont play the game anymore there is no way you could sell it again since code is already used

I think it's pretty bad, they should just make a gift card with a download code, or something like that

It's really just a waste of plastic

Reactions: Souliousery and 28142
if they are goind to do that ¿why not make the game digital exclusive? its just a waste of materials

Would this reduce the game price since physical cartridges would no longer be produced?
Because if so, maybe it'd be worth it...

Would this reduce the game price since physical cartridges would no longer be produced?
Because if so, maybe it'd be worth it...

If anything, it'll keep the price high since these won't work in the secondhand market.

Physical games brand new are the same price, just because there's more cost gone into manufacturing it doesn't raise the price. The only thing that'd lower the price of these types of "physical" releases is in-store offers.

I’m mixed on it. On one hand, it’s sort of a terrible consumer practice. It’s obvious there are people who want their games physical, and doing this is a bit of a slap in the face to them.

On the other hand, it’s good for collectors or those who just like having the cases of their games displayed because there are already several digital-only titles and this at least gives you a case.

I was against digital games for the longest time. It wasn’t until I realized how many sales Sony and Microsoft were having on their respective console online stores that I started buying up digital. It also forced me to keep games and not sell them thinking that I’d never want to play them again but ultimately did down the road. :rotfl: Now my entire Switch library is digital and I only have one physical Xbox One game and one physical PS4 game. It wasn’t really on purpose that I went that route, and I’ll be buying some games physically still I’m sure, but that’s just where I’m at right now.

There are advantages to digital games and disadvantages. At the end of the day, we are moving towards an all-digital future. That being said - we still, after all these years of Netflix and such, have the option of buying physical movies and tv shows. I think the same will be true for games for a very, very long time.

I can see that as a waste of resources, personally. There's more to a case than just a case. Cases are made of plastic, you need the right material for the covers, a lot of ink would have to go into the covers, people pour hours and hours into designing the art for the cases...it's kind of a mess for one digit of code.

I mean, I get that it could be creating more jobs for people and having them be able to work, but at the end of the day it's waste production, and we're trying to keep unnecessary waste down.

Alternatively, may I recommend having the code being given online or just buying it from the eShop?

Oh wait, I realize now that the people who sell the games get some profit from it, too. So I guess there's no right answer to this question just yet.

It’s a weird practice. A code on a piece of plastic or paper would serve the same purpose, same as a points or gift card. I guess it’d be a way for collectors to have a game box for digital releases, but selling an empty box seems silly to me.

Back