What do you think when a game has different reviews?

• Thread starter ErixSan
  • Start date
We need to work together doing reviews XD

As long as its not a game I'm already covering for Pure Nintendo (and we both had press codes) I'd be up for it! Let me know if you have anything specific in mind. Dual reviews can be a lot of fun.

Reactions: ErixSan
As long as its not a game I'm already covering for Pure Nintendo (and we both had press codes) I'd be up for it! Let me know if you have anything specific in mind. Dual reviews can be a lot of fun.
Well that should be awesome, I'd love to see some reviews you guys whip up, I think they would be fantastic!

Reactions: TAG
Well that should be awesome, I'd love to see some reviews you guys whip up, I think they would be fantastic!

Right now I'm not able because I don't have a lot of time.
I have to check a translation I made for an Italian indie game (for free) and finish helping Chris on Ping 1.5+ on small stuff.

Right now I'm not able because I don't have a lot of time.
I have to check a translation I made for an Italian indie game (for free) and finish helping Chris on Ping 1.5+ on small stuff.
Oh well, we'll wait for when you get the time. By the mean time, I'm mostly reading @TAG 's reviews on Pure Nintendo, hope you finish your backlog of work soon.

First of all, everyone has their own opinion of a game. It can never be the same but when something like this happens, I go with the most trusted site, the one that I trust more. But a demo, would be a great thing to judge a game before buying it, honestly.

First of all, everyone has their own opinion of a game. It can never be the same but when something like this happens, I go with the most trusted site, the one that I trust more. But a demo, would be a great thing to judge a game before buying it, honestly.

That's true. eShop needs a lot more demos...

I agree, games that have mixed reviews, like Kirby Triple Deluxe, should definitely have a demo present, it gives the buyer a better outlook on the product than any review.

My thoughts are the same. You can't expect the reviews to be the same. They tend to be mixed with bad/good ones.

and I agree. Demos are very useful.

ZombiU was like that and I agree with the higher reviews on it rather than the lower ones. I think it's because the reviewers go in and compare it to games of a wrong genre or because they have a certain idea of how that type of game should've been done.

Different opinions that can definitely be helped by videos of the game to see if I would agree/disagree. Of course, I'd also appreciate demos for a more hands-on experience.

When I read mixed reviews of a game on different sites, I tend to believe the positive review more. Some sites have higher standards - Nintendolife are great reviewers but they can absolutely crush a game and they do that a lot :p while others tend to take into consideration whether it's a small developer or a giant. Usually I think positive reviews show the btter side of a mixed-reaction-inducing game more and if it sounds like something I'd enjoy I'll be inclined to try it. :)

Reactions: TAG
Thing is, everyone has their own opinion. You can't really be surprised when a game has multiple reviews that counteract each other.

To be honest, when a game has different reviews like that, it usually ends up being one that I enjoy.

Reactions: ErixSan and 18
I find it funny. I usually try to read more reviews so I can pin point what is behind some scores. I try not to care in them as much as in absorbing the review itself. According to the reviewer: What worked? Why something didn't work?
Reading other reviews helps me get a bigger picture and decide if the lower points will be too detrimental or silly details I don't mind.

A common example is how much the game offers of novelty, many reviewers admit they liked the game an dhad fun with it but it had "nothing" new in the mechanic so they took some digits because of that. Other reviewers go too heavy on the graphics, I don't care much so long it works with the product. So in both cases I'd put those aside and still get the game.

I think that if a review is very far away from the average score, then it could be a bit suspicious. Money drives the industry, so it wouldn't be a surprise if the reviewer was paid to give a very positive or very negative review. Sometimes it's a case of the reviewer wanting attention by putting an oddball out there. Other times, the reviewer genuinely has a different opinion of the game from his peers. It can be any of those 3 possibilities.

I think that if a review is very far away from the average score, then it could be a bit suspicious. Money drives the industry, so it wouldn't be a surprise if the reviewer was paid to give a very positive or very negative review. Sometimes it's a case of the reviewer wanting attention by putting an oddball out there. Other times, the reviewer genuinely has a different opinion of the game from his peers. It can be any of those 3 possibilities.
I have seen a lot of reviews being tremendously different from the majority of reviews that a game got.
If that is the case, I usually see if a game has a demo. I try the demo, and then decide. If there isn't a demo, I check a game trailer/gameplay to see if the game is worth buying.

It depends on what the player thinks, not the reviewer so much but they know the basics of what the average player might think. Like say if it involves the touch screen a lot and not so much anything else it might not be user friendly or if it is completely different from other games in the series and if old time fans might not like it but new people do. SSBB might've gotten great reviews however certain pickier people might not like it.

I'm not sure. I personally go by what I think it the game, and generally tend to ignore what other people say about ... Although, I really should start listening to reviews since the game usually ends up sucking anyway :p When a game does have mixed reviews though, and if I feel like going by the review, I go by which site I like more.

I'll listen to other people's opinions but generally I'll listen to my own thoughts in the end. That's is usually what will determine whether or not I will play a game.

Back