What do you think when a game has different reviews?

• Thread starter ErixSan
  • Start date
I will read reviews on games as it's always good to read reviews or hear other people's opinions. Do not let their opinions change your mind however. My theory is you have to play it for yourself to decide if you like it or not.

That's when a demo actually does have a reason for being there :p and if there is no demo you ask? Then I go out of my way to skip over that game, if it doesn't seem that good, by watching the videos and such

Different person has different tastes. So having different review in agame is not surprising. But it's up to you weather you going to buy that game or not. I didn't enjoy some games even if there aresome very good reviews about that game. So it ends up to you and your taste on what game to pick.

I usually do research about a game before I buy them. I never worried about what a reviewer, or a site rate it. Would just look at game play on youtube, and read message boards, and see if it has things similar to what I like in a game.

That said. I usually already know what I'm getting out of a game before I buy it.

First of all, reviews are made by people, and we know that people may have very different points of view on a simple thing like a game. Anyway I am not the kind of gamer who checks every review or even any of them, I just decide on buying the game or not if there is something from it that I like. How do I know if i like anything? I tend to watch gameplays and videos, not analysis, just gameplays and then I decide.

Reactions: T-Player Guy
I find the most true review, I go with!

I don't just read the marks (90/100 etc) but also what lead the author of the review to give this mark. See what he liked and if I like it too. See what he didn't like and if I don't like it either. For example, if the author says "I'd have given it 10/10 if it used 3D because it is awesome on those points (insert list of points) but it doesn't have 3D so I give it 4/10", then I only remember the good points since I don't care about 3D.

And if I still didn't manage to choose, as other people said here, I watch a video of it (someone playing, not a trailer made to appeal).

Reactions: T-Player Guy and Mikaya
Right now I read the reviews a lot more closely and look at what the gameplay and stuff is like before looking at the score. I learned my lesson after shelling out 30$ for batman 2 Dc superheroes a year or two ago. I only looked at the ratings for that game and they were pretty high so I got it. But it turned out to be a mistake. back then I didn't know how bad they merged games from consoles to handhelds and the sole reason I got batman 2 was for open world and the DS version didn't have that :( I lost interest and stopped playing it, so 30$ wasted. I look up games extensively and their reviews and walkthroughs for the specific console type before even considering to buy them now, and if it has different review s then I still might buy it depending on what the reviews say and why they are different

I never read reviews because sites that have more than one person reviewing games isn't going to match my personal preference. When there's only one person doing it you can sorta learn what they like and match it with your own opinions. Anyways.

Nah, reviews never affect my purchasing decision unless it's some random game that everyone's raving about that I've never heard of.

Fantasy Life is a good example of this. I've never even seen gameplay and I'm dying to play it now because of Marc and Alex talking about it so much.

If reviews are not consistent I just base it off if I like the gameplay by watching videos on it. (Of course this doesn't really work too well for new games since sometimes those don't have enough gameplay footage yet)

Reactions: Knight Rain
I usually see If there is a demo of that game. if not I check YouTube videos and Game reviews ect. And finnaly I check big sites like IGN and check their reviews and comments on the game, from there I will decide if I would like to buy it.

If a game has mixed reviews, I tend to approach it cautiously. As this usually means that you will either enjoy the game or you won't, I try to make the best possible decision concerning whether or not it is worth my money. However, I try not to judge a game to quickly just based on its critic score.

Reactions: T-Player Guy
I barely ever look at reviews when purchasing a game, instead going by trailers, recommendation and past experiences with the franchise/developer if applicable. Some games I enjoy have high reviews while others are mixed. Disgaea, one of my favourites, is a cult classic, yet never gets much attention in the mainstream.

More recently, I have played Oninaki and The Princess Guide, both of which have mixed reviews. I enjoyed both of them, even more than some of the big releases with better reviews. I played the demo of Oninaki and thought it was fun, as for The Princess Guide, Nippon Ichi were the creators of Disgaea and many other cult classics so I decided to try it out.

When I do look for reviews, I exclusively use Metacritic, which gives a simple average score between all reviewers rather than having to look through several reviews which likely wouldn't affect my decision anyway. That works well enough for me.

Back