What if you developed video games?

• Thread starter InfiniteDream
  • Start date

Do you feel like too many games feel incomplete or short?

• Yes

Votes: 8 72.7%
  • No

Votes: 3 27.3%

• Total voters
InfiniteDream

InfiniteDream

Smeargle In Training
Towns Folk
Hmm...I miss how challenging and well thought out classic game series are, I'm thinking about after getting my degree in computer science and adapting to the field and using my knowledge of some of my favorite series to recreate the feel of those games.

nowadays most are short and feel like more of a movie mostly due to being rushed/focusing on graphics way too much and or missing the point of why the series was great or trying to make money through DLC.

Some can't help it for various reasons (and personally i think the demand of the highest quality of graphics possible which i think we are moving way too fast on)

what would you do if you had a chance to develop a game? what old game would you like to see have a new series based off?

Current games lack ambition and don't seem to have the same drive to be made as they did in the N64 era and below, companiea only want uber powerful and easy to develop in hardware instead of pushing what they're given to it's limits.

To put it bluntly, video game developers these days just want money, or at least most of them, and many "gamers" also fall in the same hole by generally bashing innovative concepts in favor of stronger hardware and better graphics that will never age well nor truly realize it's full potential.

This is one of my issues against PC gaming, it's hardware doesn't lend itself to innovation, and there are no upper limits the developers can reach, they'll simply want more off the consumer, if you can't run their game, boo hoo, go buy a better graphics card. This isn't ideal.

I don't think it would be easy for me to be a developer, but, ideally, I'd like to change all this stagnancy and make people appreciate innovation once more.

Reactions: InfiniteDream
Okay first of all just because a game is short doesn't mean it's bad and secondly, I really haven't felt that most games are just after your cash. I mean I know that there are some games made that only care about making money, but I know which developers do this (I'm looking at you EA) and I avoid their games. But maybe the only reason I think this way is because I mainly only play indie games nowadays.

But if I could make a game I'd like to make a game where you play as the guide character helping (and annoying) the protagonist on his quest.

Okay first of all just because a game is short doesn't mean it's bad and secondly, I really haven't felt that most games are just after your cash. I mean I know that there are some games made that only care about making money, but I know which developers do this (I'm looking at you EA) and I avoid their games. But maybe the only reason I think this way is because I mainly only play indie games nowadays.

But if I could make a game I'd like to make a game where you play as the guide character helping (and annoying) the protagonist on his quest.
The job of a video game is suppose to give you something to remember and last long enough to be worth 40-60$, if i play something casually and beat it in 3 days it's not really worth it and that's going by incressing the difficulty

[Edit] oh and yes that is true a bad game isn't exactly defined by length more or less mean once its done most probably wouldn't keep it and never play it stuff, I should have categorized better but i wrote that in a pinch while doing other stuff :p

Last edited:
This is one of my issues against PC gaming, it's hardware doesn't lend itself to innovation, and there are no upper limits the developers can reach, they'll simply want more off the consumer, if you can't run their game, boo hoo, go buy a better graphics card. This isn't ideal.
True story this. It's awesome to see MH4U and MHGen run on an Old 3DS when some games don't run on all PCs just because devs were too lazy to even write one optimization.
But on the other hand, while the "go buy a better graphics card" thing "isn't ideal", I don't think the "go buy a whole new system for more than the price of a more-than-enough graphic cards then pay 59€99 for a game instead of 29€99 is a better thing.

Anyway, yeah, some games may feel rushed to some users. For example, the solo mode in the last two CoD games I played was finishable in one week-end without even playing too much both days. But that's also because that game isn't supposed to be a solo game. You're supposed to play online after that. So that's why I felt like it wasn't worth the money but others did.

On the other hand, there are games that are not like that. MH games for example are worth their money since they're packed with quests. Obviously, if that's not your kind of game, don't get it. But if it is, it will last for more than two days.

I think that a problem is that they try to appeal people (to get money obviously). For example, why is there no F-Zero game? Because only hardcore players would play that, not enough money made out of it. Meanwhile, why not just put F-Zero tracks in Mario Kart? Everyone can play that. And why not make a game like Fast Racing Neo that is realistic in its graphics and physics, for people who can't stand Mario Kart? This way everyone is happy. Except the 1% of the population that wants F-Zero's gameplay, not its tracks nor its look but its gameplay, but money doesn't care about 1% of the population.

True story this. It's awesome to see MH4U and MHGen run on an Old 3DS when some games don't run on all PCs just because devs were too lazy to even write one optimization.
But on the other hand, while the "go buy a better graphics card" thing "isn't ideal", I don't think the "go buy a whole new system for more than the price of a more-than-enough graphic cards then pay 59€99 for a game instead of 29€99 is a better thing.

Anyway, yeah, some games may feel rushed to some users. For example, the solo mode in the last two CoD games I played was finishable in one week-end without even playing too much both days. But that's also because that game isn't supposed to be a solo game. You're supposed to play online after that. So that's why I felt like it wasn't worth the money but others did.

On the other hand, there are games that are not like that. MH games for example are worth their money since they're packed with quests. Obviously, if that's not your kind of game, don't get it. But if it is, it will last for more than two days.

I think that a problem is that they try to appeal people (to get money obviously). For example, why is there no F-Zero game? Because only hardcore players would play that, not enough money made out of it. Meanwhile, why not just put F-Zero tracks in Mario Kart? Everyone can play that. And why not make a game like Fast Racing Neo that is realistic in its graphics and physics, for people who can't stand Mario Kart? This way everyone is happy. Except the 1% of the population that wants F-Zero's gameplay, not its tracks nor its look but its gameplay, but money doesn't care about 1% of the population.

Yea there are still some really good games out there then a lot will go for looks and appeal along with some multiplayer that gets repetitive and call it done, these i can't say are bad but they really could have done more (which is what i mean if i say felt empty).

But i can't make the call on how the companies should run which is why i kinda wanna do it myself now

When talking about game dev, never use the word 'lazy'.

Also, saying that they are just after money is not it.

They have to live you know, they have bills to pay, they have salaries to pay. They can't live if they make a game ta appeals to 1000 persons. So they make games according to what the demand is.

They have to deal with their own budget, with a schedule. When you say they could have done more, well they probably gave everything they had, they don't all have the same resources you know.

Moreover, in the past, games were easier to do, and it was easier to awe the public. But now the public expects more and more, and most of them live on nostalgia.

I've seen games being bashed and compared to a previous game, fans saying it was better. Took a look at said game, turns out it wasn't at all, fans lived on nostalgia. I even asked a fan to replay said game and they admitted that oopsie, it wasn't that good afterall.

Please, don't insult a whole industry while you have no idea what's going on there :(

Reactions: spagooti, InfiniteDream, Slayerpon Tatsu and 1 other person
I definitely feel like EA has done that..

You know they're after your dough when you can't go twelve seconds into playing without them asking for it...

Ahem.. Sims.. Cough cough... Star Wars battlefront...

It's up to the consumer to enjoy the game. Game devs put in sleepless hours to provide. I honestly think consumers aren't giving games chances and are expecting too much out of companies.

It's up to the consumer to enjoy the game. Game devs put in sleepless hours to provide. I honestly think consumers aren't giving games chances and are expecting too much out of companies.

That is a little irrelevant..

We're just saying that EA, and companies like it, are focused on money. Understandably so, but annoying none the less.

I'm not denying that their games are excellent, and some of my favorites, but the point still stands.

That is a little irrelevant..

We're just saying that EA, and companies like it, are focused on money. Understandably so, but annoying none the less.

I'm not denying that their games are excellent, and some of my favorites, but the point still stands.
Not irrelevant and the point wasn't directed towards you.

I've helped on designing a few games (as in pitching in ideas and writing a few dialogue parts) and honestly, it's very fun and tedious. We never did release the game because 13 year olds posting stuff on new grounds never ends well but it's pretty great but don't bash someone and call them lazy

I'm not bashing anyone..

I also didn't call anyone lazy, on the contrary actually.

I said that the games are good and everything, but the ways that their marketed is wrong.

And yes what you said is a bit irrelevant because we understand that people put work into them, and we didn't just never give them a chance because we wouldn't know about these issues. And to be honest, this is a video game based website. Noboy's gonna just give up on a game unless they have loads to spend. Most people don't.

Don't read into things that deeply, it's not like I was 'bashing' you, as you say.

I'm not bashing anyone..

I also didn't call anyone lazy, on the contrary actually.

I said that the games are good and everything, but the ways that their marketed is wrong.

And yes what you said is a bit irrelevant because we understand that people put work into them, and we didn't just never give them a chance because we wouldn't know about these issues. And to be honest, this is a video game based website. Noboy's gonna just give up on a game unless they have loads to spend. Most people don't.

Don't read into things that deeply, it's not like I was 'bashing' you, as you say.
You realize that these comments aren't directed to you, correct?

Also, backlog's exist as well as video game developers get a lot of crap as of late.

Yes. I do.

And that's not really what this post is about is it?

You really don't need to push in hostility..

YEESH

When talking about game dev, never use the word 'lazy'.

Also, saying that they are just after money is not it.

They have to live you know, they have bills to pay, they have salaries to pay. They can't live if they make a game ta appeals to 1000 persons. So they make games according to what the demand is.

They have to deal with their own budget, with a schedule. When you say they could have done more, well they probably gave everything they had, they don't all have the same resources you know.

Moreover, in the past, games were easier to do, and it was easier to awe the public. But now the public expects more and more, and most of them live on nostalgia.

I've seen games being bashed and compared to a previous game, fans saying it was better. Took a look at said game, turns out it wasn't at all, fans lived on nostalgia. I even asked a fan to replay said game and they admitted that oopsie, it wasn't that good afterall.

Please, don't insult a whole industry while you have no idea what's going on there :(

How did u get the nice 'lil gif at the bottom of all your posts?

Yes. I do.

And that's not really what this post is about is it?

You really don't need to push in hostility..

YEESH
I'm not being hostile. I'm saying what's on my mind

Ditto. :thumbsup:

Suffice it to say, it is indeed possible to call a game developer lazy.

No, I'm not saying they all are slobs, game development as a wholly different "effort threshold" compared to other jobs. On one hand, we have very polished games that simply glow with all the dedication put on them, and then we have games that seem to only be used to abuse a brand name and make quick cash. Likewise, all developers are human as well, some are lazy, some aren't.

It's not their fault, they are submitted contracts, people hire them to do bad, wrongly pitched games. But they invest to have the game they want made.

It's not their fault, they are submitted contracts, people hire them to do bad, wrongly pitched games. But they invest to have the game they want made.

We're da talkin''bout peeps who tell em to do that stuff.

And we're not shooting fault, I'm just saying it sucks, yknow..

Back