What if you developed video games?

• Thread starter InfiniteDream
  • Start date

Do you feel like too many games feel incomplete or short?

• Yes

Votes: 8 72.7%
  • No

Votes: 3 27.3%

• Total voters
A lot of times, it seems like the publisher is more at fault for things than the developer.

mhm

I'm actually talking more about the programming side of things o_O

I've seen games being bashed and compared to a previous game, fans saying it was better. Took a look at said game, turns out it wasn't at all, fans lived on nostalgia. I even asked a fan to replay said game and they admitted that oopsie, it wasn't that good afterall.
Hehe, I recognize myself at the beginning of that sentence, about Brawl :p
But not the end. Because I actually started with Brawl then switched to Melee once I tried it enough and discovered it was actually better, so I couldn't have any nostalgia bias.
And then Smash 4 came out, and it's not really better or worse, it's just different, so Melee vs Smash 4 is just a matter of people's preference.

It's not their fault, they are submitted contracts, people hire them to do bad, wrongly pitched games. But they invest to have the game they want made.
Agreed with that. Devs don't decide. When the specs for Brawl were written, even if devs all agreed that it was stupid (not saying they did), they still had to make that a reality to get their salary at the end of the month...

When talking about game dev, never use the word 'lazy'.

Also, saying that they are just after money is not it.

They have to live you know, they have bills to pay, they have salaries to pay. They can't live if they make a game ta appeals to 1000 persons. So they make games according to what the demand is.

They have to deal with their own budget, with a schedule. When you say they could have done more, well they probably gave everything they had, they don't all have the same resources you know.

Moreover, in the past, games were easier to do, and it was easier to awe the public. But now the public expects more and more, and most of them live on nostalgia.

I've seen games being bashed and compared to a previous game, fans saying it was better. Took a look at said game, turns out it wasn't at all, fans lived on nostalgia. I even asked a fan to replay said game and they admitted that oopsie, it wasn't that good afterall.

Please, don't insult a whole industry while you have no idea what's going on there :(

That is the thing, they have a budget and with most trying to spend money on the highest graphics possible cuts back on time they could have used to extend further or put more thought into it. I wouldn't call them lazy or bad because there are good games but i look for something that by the time I am done I will wanna finish again not just put it back, games like metal gear solids on the Ps2 kept me coming back because by the time i was done i would want to come back.

i'm not saying the industry is bad just simply i want to do things my way, and wanted to ask people what they would like to see :p

also its the fans who only pay for graphics...they are making semi new consoles this gen just to upgrade graphics basically...

XD Maybe I should step in I didn't really wanna turn this into a bashing of the developers in the industry, in all fairness they have a lot to take on in a short time with a budget and to spend it more on trying to make it look as realistic as possible and some with more cutscene then game and people seem to want that, I don't mean graphics are bad but I look at an old game like DK64 and it is far from perfect but it makes that up with a good amount of things to collect and do before you were done, it wasn't for everyone but still,it should be easier to kick up a notch since there is more technology but Some people like action packed movie like games but I prefer something that will keep me invested in for a while, i'm not saying "games these days suck, back in my day...!" just i wanna do it how I like to now

also a side note I wish developers asked for help more than they do, There are some noticable games i can tell they wanted to do more but had a low budget. :(

like i said before i think its the demand and people should let one generation of graphics savor before jumping onto the next personally.

Many games coming form companies such as Ubisoft and EA are beginning to feel more and more half-baked as time goes on, and it isn't exactly hard to pick up on. Just look at the fiasco surrounding Mass Effect Andromeda, which was actually intended to COMPETE with Breath of the Wild, but ended up falling short due to just how poorly it was made.

I'm a perfectionist, and I will always desire the absolute best that can be, so of course I would bring this mindset to my creative vision as well, if ever I were to develop a game. I am not the kind of person who settles for half measures.

What old game would I like to see a new series based off of? Rebooted, you mean? Not sure. I was never really into smaller games, so I don't have enough experience to accurately answer this question, though I can think of a few games I'd take inspirations from with my creative vision. Kirby would be one of them, that series has always spoke to me.

Back